ASOIAF 20 Questions v. 98

a free shadow

HINT: Take the hint :ninja:

1. Not a character

2. Not an office or a title

3. Object

4. Made of cloth

5. It is not worn by the/some of the black brothers.

6. Not a scarf

7. It is not worn

8. It is a banner(ish), it displays a coat of arms

9. A northern coat of arms

1. Not a character

3. Object

4. Made of cloth

6. Not a scarf

7. It is not worn

10. It displays a being (e.g. human, giant, merman, animal).

I'm kind of stumped n the 'ish' in banner-ish... :dunno:

I'm wondering about that, too. But it's something with a coat of arms on it, so it's probably a good idea to find out which one, right?

I'm wondering about that, too. But it's something with a coat of arms on it, so it's probably a good idea to find out which one, right?

Yeah, I agree. I've been trying to remember whether there is anything that is similar to a banner but not quite one and I can't think of anything!

And which Northern houses display beings on their banners... And there are too many!

Stark, Mormont, Bolton, Ryswell, Umber, Manderly - just to name a few off the top of my head...

1. Not a character

3. Object

4. Made of cloth

6. Not a scarf

7. It is not worn

10. It displays a being (e.g. human, giant, merman, animal)

you can think of it as a banner, (ish) is more of an attempted hint, though now i am not sure if it is helpful

11. It displays an animal

1. Not a character

3. Object

4. Made of cloth

6. Not a scarf

7. It is not worn

10. It displays a being (e.g. human, giant, merman, animal)

you can think of it as a banner, (ish) is more of an attempted hint, though now i am not sure if it is helpful

11. It displays an animal

12. One particular banner(ish) we saw somewhere in the books

Hm... somehow your first hint made me think of Umber, because "HINT" is written in big (=giant) letters, but if it's an animal, it's no giant on the banner(ish thing).

Is it a Stark banner(ish thing)?

Hm... somehow your first hint made me think of Umber, because "HINT" is written in big (=giant) letters, but if it's an animal, it's no giant on the banner(ish thing).

Is it a Stark banner(ish thing)?

But it's not a Stark [or whichever] banner, right? I got the feeling it's something quite specific, like a Stark [whichever] banner-ish thingy that appears in a specific scene?

The hint could mean its a banner which is taken (seized) in the books. Or handed from one character to another.

but I find hints aren't useful until there are a certain amount of facts on the table.

I am puzzled by 'bannerish'. Its clearly not a full sized banner like all the ones carried to war and by groups of soldiers when they are travelling or she would just say banner. The she says you can think of it as a banner.

She doesn't say its not clothing she only says it is not worn. Maybe its clothing with a sigil, used as a banner?

But it's not a Stark [or whichever] banner, right? I got the feeling it's something quite specific, like a Stark [whichever] banner-ish thingy that appears in a specific scene?

Well, yes. My post was just a question to narrow it down, no a guess. I just thought, that if we can narrow it down to a bannerish thing of house Stark (or whichever), it would help to find out which specific Stark (or whichever) bannerish thing A Free Shadow is looking for.

Shadow ignore this question I think I'll take this as given.

Is it only banner-ish because it is used like a banner but is not a properly made banner?

Well, yes. My post was just a question to narrow it down, no a guess. I just thought, that if we can narrow it down to a bannerish thing of house Stark (or whichever), it would help to find out which specific Stark (or whichever) bannerish thing A Free Shadow is looking for.

Defo. Take a guess then, and then we'll have something more to work on! :)

ETA: I have been trying to think of specific scenes where a specific northern banner-ish might have been seen but I haven't been able to come up with anything yet...

Archived