Varys and Arya? [Book and show spoilers]

Am I the only one that found it kinda odd for Varys to tell the small council that the Hound has been seen, but he does not tell them that Arya is with him. If Varys knows what happened in the bar down to the "fuck the king" line, would he have known that Arya is with him? and if so why not tell?

Im still new enough to not know how to do the spoiler tag thing for now but this next part is kind of spoilery??

The question above led me to think of another. While reading the sample Mercy chapter I kept thinking the guy training Arya put me in the mind if Varys. Im not clear as to the timeline that far ahead at the moment, but I think by then Varys has fled KL and is where?? I know there are many many and more a theory of Varys is a FM and the like but have never really been sure of them myself, but....makes me wonder.

Oh, you know I never picked up on the fact it was odd for him to not mention Arya with the hound, but you're right! But even so...Tywin buts a price on the Hound's head, so if Varys cared about her life at all, he might have seemed a bit more bothered. Not sure how though.

Why would Varys have any idea that that was Arya Stark? His little birds wouldn't know that it was Arya Stark, it's not like she injects her identity into every conversation that would be remarkably stupid.

Sandor even says that she's his whore, and nobody in that inn would have cause to think otherwise. Everybody believes that Arya is dead.

It'd be very unlikely that anyone who reported that news would know it was Arya who was with the Hound. Maybe they'd mention a girl he was travelling with, but it'd be a major leap for anyone to guess it was a missing Stark girl.

That being said, Varys finds out some rather surprising information at times!

Why would Varys have any idea that that was Arya Stark? His little birds wouldn't know that it was Arya Stark, it's not like she injects her identity into every conversation that would be remarkably stupid.

Sandor even says that she's his whore, and nobody in that inn would have cause to think otherwise. Everybody believes that Arya is dead.

This. No one knows that that was Arya, nothing to report.

I was going to ask the same thing. I wouldn't put it past Varys to be withholding information. Probably doesn't know it's Arya but the fact Sandor was travelling with a little girl (a little girl who also killed one of the king's men, so not so unworthy of mentioning) could make him curious to find out more? I don't see it as farfetched, to be honest.

Arya has incredible plot armor. Show Tywin has seemingly forgotten that Ned Stark had two daughters, Cersei never mentions to her father that Arya Stark is missing and that she sent out Baelish to find her; Baelish himself doesn't even tell Sansa that he found her at Harrenhal, following ancient House Stark rule from the books...

(They said it together: "Don't...tell...Sansa!")

The BwB, The Hound and LF know that Arya is alive and well. If Varys really doesn't know, it's time for him to retire!

Arya has incredible plot armor. Show Tywin has seemingly forgotten that Ned Stark had two daughters, Cersei never mentions to her father that Arya Stark is missing and that she sent out Baelish to find her; Baelish himself doesn't even tell Sansa that he found her at Harrenhal, following ancient House Stark rule from the books...

(They said it together: "Don't...tell...Sansa!")

The BwB, The Hound and LF know that Arya is alive and well. If Varys really doesn't know, it's time for him to retire!

I suspect Baelish didn't realize the cupbearer was Arya. Between a growth spurt, the hair cut, the fact Baelish never paid much attention to Arya compared to her sister, the servant clothes, and the sheer impossibility of one of the highest born woman in Westeros vanished from King's Landing and ended up serving wine to her family's enemy means Baelish didn't put it together. Plus, he was there on a very high stakes mission, and was putting all his focus on Tywin Lannister.

Or, look at it this way. Even if Varys does know, the report is going to sound impossible. How did Arya end up in the Riverlands? How did the Hound capture her? Varys is paid for reliable information, which means his information must sound reliable. If nothing else, he would have to reveal his source, which Varys doesn't like to do.

...think by then Varys has fled KL and is where??

has he? I always figured he was still in kings landing, hiding in the tunnels/behind walls. Though I suppose after killing Kevan and Pycelle,\ there isn't much reason for him to be in KL anymore. Maybe he's off to hook up with Aegon? or maybe he's still in KL awaiting the time to open the gates to let Aegon in... though, again, with his knowledge of secret passages, getting in and out of the city wouldn't be much of a challenge so I wouldn't think he'd have to stay inside to accomplish that anyway.

he could be anywhere, but I don't see him across the narrow sea because he's very much invested in getting Aegon on the throne.

I was going to ask the same thing. I wouldn't put it past Varys to be withholding information. Probably doesn't know it's Arya but the fact Sandor was travelling with a little girl (a little girl who also killed one of the king's men, so not so unworthy of mentioning) could make him curious to find out more? I don't see it as farfetched, to be honest.

I'll jump on the side of this debate that thinks it's odd Varys knew such detail of Sandor's location and what he's been doing but makes no mention of a traveling companion with him who seems out of place whether it's a boy or a girl? Why would The Hound bother to have a kid along with him who may or may not appear as a prisoner? If he's got spies watching and reporting - they'd have mentioned that and even if Varys didn't know who it was it would seem like relevant information - especially since they're now heading straight for the Eyrie...

I too think they've given Arya some serious plot armor since no one seems to care or mention her in King's Landing anymore. I'm guessing they all do assume she's dead since she hasn't been seen since Ned Stark's death and that was a long time ago by tv show timeline. I think it's ok that no one's talking about her anymore but still - even not recognizing her with the Hound, it's a bit odd Varys did not mention her. He has to have known about a kid traveling with Sandor.

This whole thread is labeled with a 'spoiler' warning.

Am I the only one that found it kinda odd for Varys to tell the small council that the Hound has been seen, but he does not tell them that Arya is with him. If Varys knows what happened in the bar down to the "fuck the king" line, would he have known that Arya is with him? and if so why not tell?

From the get go there has been something mysterious going on about Varys. Namely the Illyrio-Varys 'conspiracy' , which is still very cloudy. We do get Illyrio involved in Tyrion's story. Varys arranges to smuggle him out of King's Landing and sends him to Illyrio in Pentos. Seems , as far as we know now, that Illyrio and seemingly by implication that the Illyrio-Varys 'conspiracy' has something do with helping the Targaryens (one true one we know and one who may or may not be a Targ)... why? We don't really know.

Both Varys and Illyrion are Essosi , seeming with an interest in Westeros.

Other Essosi may be in the plan with them... because it is exceedingly odd that a Faceless Man , Jaqen, another Essosi, succeeds in getting Arya to Braavos (Arya seemingly passing a test of travel, but actually doing it on her own).

Seems 'the powers that be', with Big Plans' are being laid for Daenerys, Arya, Tyrion and Aegon Targaryen (still a murky figure, if he is Aegon!)

So my best surmise is that Varys does not want the IT to know where Arya is , but does not mind speaking of the Hound... for what reason is also kind of mysterious.

We are almost dead sure Varys knows , well that was even revealed , on the show last season, where Sansa is. Knowledge of this is withheld by Varys, interestingly, since it would damn Little Finger. So far in the books Varys has not used this ace.

Now if he revealed that the Hound had a girl, somebody would put two and two together, who is missing among the Starks , who were at KL, besides Sansa, who would be a valuable ransom-able hostage? If the tavern brawl had been observed down to the detail of how many of the Kings men Sandor killed, and he had a girl with him who retrieves an elegant small sword and then uses it, hmmm...just who would that be?

We were given indication that LF knows Arya is on the loose, but has kept his mouth shut about it, not sure why that is?

Im still new enough to not know how to do the spoiler tag thing for now but this next part is kind of spoilery??

The question above led me to think of another. While reading the sample Mercy chapter I kept thinking the guy training Arya put me in the mind if Varys. Im not clear as to the timeline that far ahead at the moment, but I think by then Varys has fled KL and is where?? I know there are many many and more a theory of Varys is a FM and the like but have never really been sure of them myself, but....makes me wonder.

I think Varys may have gone to Braavos, because I smell the Iron Bank of Braavos as the 'hand that rocks the cradle' in all this.

The only two witnesses to the hound and Arya were the inn keep and his daughter. One of Varys' little birds got their information from them. Unless one of them was a little bird themselves. This is how I see the conversation going down.

Little bird: What happened here?

Inn Keep: the kings men were going to rape my daughter and weren't going to pay for their food

Little bird: Who killed them?

Inn Keep: Some big dude with a burned face. He also said "Fuck the King" before he killed them.

Little Bird: ahh that'll be the Hound

The only two witnesses to the hound and Arya were the inn keep and his daughter. One of Varys' little birds got their information from them. Unless one of them was a little bird themselves. This is how I see the conversation going down.

Little bird: What happened here?

Inn Keep: the kings men were going to rape my daughter and weren't going to pay for their food

Little bird: Who killed them?

Inn Keep: Some big dude with a burned face. He also said "Fuck the King" before he killed them.

Little Bird: ahh that'll be the Hound

Inn Keep: Hmmm...

Little Bird: Yes?

Inn Keep: He has a girl about my daughter's age with him. She didn't seem low born. Seemed odd. She took a strange elegant sword off the group leader and killed him with it.

Little Bird: That's strange.

I suspect Baelish didn't realize the cupbearer was Arya. Between a growth spurt, the hair cut, the fact Baelish never paid much attention to Arya compared to her sister, the servant clothes, and the sheer impossibility of one of the highest born woman in Westeros vanished from King's Landing and ended up serving wine to her family's enemy means Baelish didn't put it together. Plus, he was there on a very high stakes mission, and was putting all his focus on Tywin Lannister.

Seven hells. In s1e04, Baelish had to explain his nickname "Littlefinger" to Arya with a dozen people in hearing range. At a distance of half a yard! Quite embarassing. He sure as hell identifies this strange female ("That will be all, girl!") cupbearer that splashes some wine over him in s2e06. In s3e01, he tells Sansa that he's met Arya. In s3e02, even The Hound who got never very near to her recognizes the bypassing Arya.

Of course LF identified her. And committed treason by not telling Tywin; after all, Cersei ordered him to find Arya! And he keeps talking to Tywin of Tyrion's proposal concerning Catelyn's daughters, as if Arya were still in King's Landing! He must be damn sure that Cersei and Tywin will never discuss the whereabouts of Arya Stark... :cool4:

Most people seeing Arya would still think she's a boy and that's the message Varys may have been sent.

Hmmm... Polliver who in Harrenhal still took her for a boy had no problem identifying her as "a bit broken in little chicken".

The Hound taking out three of the King's men is business as usual, but a little girl killing two of them might be worth a message to King's Landing...

In s3e01, he tells Sansa that he's met Arya.

Yeah it's weird , Aidan Gillen was asked , this year wasn't it?, on the NY Red Carpet, why LF didn't finger Arya at Harrenhal.

He either hedged or honestly didn't remember his line from season 3!

Archived