The Ten Thousand Ships Extract

Where does it say they worship turtles in general? As far as I recall they consider the gigantic turtles to be consorts of Mother Rhoyne. Even so, in Dune Fremen consider the giant sandworm to be a deity, but that doesn't stop them from using their teeth as knives, and drowning smaller ones to create a ritual narcotic.

Why would they worship turtles and yet also kill a quarter of a million of them to make shields?

The Valyrians kill the sacred turtle. There must be war! Kill every last turtle to make shields!

They only consider those giant turtles to be sacred.

The shields may not really be actual turtle shells...they have fish head helms but no one expects them to be actual fish heads...could get a bit pungent in there!

Most likely Giant Turtle shells would be way too big to be carrying around so probably shells of lesser species of turtles.

The shields may not really be actual turtle shells...they have fish head helms but no one expects them to be actual fish heads...could get a bit pungent in there!

Most likely Giant Turtle shells would be way too big to be carrying around so probably shells of lesser species of turtles.

You could make one hell of a battering ram out of a giant turtle shell. Be useful in a siege as well.

Also, they murdered a 1/4 of a million turtles! :O

Amazed there are still any species of regular turtle left in the Rhoyne after centuries of being killed for their shells.

Ran,

is there any mention of air magic (please say yes :rofl: )

There are a lot of magic winds caused by blood sacrifices. Some people think that Balon was killed by an air magic spell, not a FM. Euron claims to be the first storm and the last. Aeron suspects that he is an agent of the Storm God.

There are a lot of magic winds caused by blood sacrifices. Some people think that Balon was killed by an air magic spell, not a FM. Euron claims to be the first storm and the last. Aeron suspects that he is an agent of the Storm God.

Well, yeah. We've heard of aeromancers and stormsingers in aGoT, and then there is sacrifices for favorable winds, words carried off by wind etc. But it would be sweet if learn more about it in the worldbook.

The excerpt was a welcome breath of fresh air with its return to some more traditional fantasy elements like mile high waterspouts raises by Water wizards to combat the unfair advantage that the Targs have had with their dragons up to now.

I love it, and look forward to more of the same as the magical element of the main series is ramped up in the next two books.

300 dragons?!? Do we think this is the bulk of the Valyrians dragons? I would guess roughly about half. Needing to leave at least some to defend the freehold and prolly another 1/4 to keep other regions in check like Old Ghis. Thoughts?

Edit- Ran think we could or will get an answer to this? = )

300 dragons?!? Do we think this is the bulk of the Valyrians dragons? I would guess roughly about half. Needing to leave at least some to defend the freehold and prolly another 1/4 to keep other regions in check like Old Ghis. Thoughts?

The Targs had 5, and they were supposedly a middling House out of the 40 Dragonlord Houses. Although, if the average was 5, then the total should have been around 200.

I suspect the Targs were actually below average, in truth. I would imagine there were families with 20 dragons or more.

If you think about it, the Targs had around a dozen dragons by the time of the Dance of the Dragons, a mere 130 years after having only 3. So theoretically, the Valyrians could have bred tens of thousands of dragons over the course of 4000 years.

Oh wow, that portrait. When people keep saying that for Arya to get power she would have to play by the rules of being a lady I always scoffed. That is what I imagined a future Arya to be like. Powerful and woman, no compromise on either.

Water magic? That's awesome. I'm hoping some of those secrets passed down through the Martells.

Is the hammer of the waters that the CotF did water magic?

I think the COTF engaged in magic of all elements, and that the Starks of this generation represent them through Earth, Air, Fire and Water

Archived