Andrzej Sapkowski II

Larry.

Sapkowski has been saying that he'll write another book for years. Mind you, I do hope he got a better piece of pie for this than he did with the video games.

But the "tie-in fiction" idea is amazing because you have to be INCREDIBLY unobservant to say that if you've played the games. They beat you over the head with relationships and characters who Geralt knows that you've never met before in the games.

I mean it's doubly-ironic because the games really are "fix-fic" for people who hated the Witcher books ending the way it did. It's basically a trio of games where Frodo awakens after coming back from the Gray Havens or Kirk gets up off the rocky planet and goes to visit all of his old friends. It's just most Americans never read the books they're fanfic for.

I think the show could be a megasuccess, though.

http://www.grimdarkmagazine.com/why-the-witcher-netflix-series-may-be-the-next-grimdark-super-show/

36 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yes, well, "unobservant" is a nicer word than I would use to describe a lot of gamers these days...

Are you Sapkowski?  ok joking aside, you are right. As someone who used to play games a lot ( not as much now)  and visit gaming websites etc... Well, my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to visit there again to see the comments and... Yeah, now I understand Sapkowski's attitude.

Orbit and Gollancz to Publish 'Season of Storms' by Award-Winning Polish Author Andrzej Sapkowski

The new novel, Season of Storms, has never before been published in English and will be translated by David French. It will be a prequel, in which readers will learn the origin story of protagonist Geralt. It is scheduled for publication in May 2018, in hardcover format in the US and trade paperback format in the UK. It will also be available in both territories as an e-book and audiobook.

• 3 months later...

There are two books that are technically prequels but you should start with them as they contain important background info, especially "Sword of Destiny". The other one, "The last wish" is less important. But you should read at least Sword of Destiny before Blood of Elves.

I read the first two in German. I recommend that you try them. They are an odd mix and I am not quite as fond of them as I want to (that's one reason why I have not started the main series) but they are pretty original and often unique. Especially the first one does have several ironically twisted versions of European fairy and folk tales; the second one already tends to get somewhat preachy with the racism against non-humans that apparently plays a big role further on.

10 hours ago, mandred torgridson said:

So it seems all books are translated to German.

Anybody read those? Thinking about going for them although prices are quite hefty here.

10 EUR for the short story books and 16 for each of the series.

Or will the storylines be covered in the Netflix adaptation?

thanks

Though I haven't read them in German, I can't recommend reading the books highly enough. They may or may not rank at or near the top of your favourite books, but they will be a fun read. They give a different view on fantasy, with a bit more of Slavic mythology rather than Anglo-Saxon/Nordic.

Theyre important to the plot. Also its really the only time you see Geralt actually being a witcher.

Sword of Destiby seems to grt mistaken as a prequel due to the English language publisher bizarwly skipping it for the first three novels.

18 hours ago, baxus said:

Just read them, man. It's two ~300 pages books. It's not the Wheel of Time series (in more ways than one).

This. Read it. They're not only important to the plot, they're also both simply very good. I know a lot of Sapkowski fans claiming short stories collections are the best part of the whole Witcher saga.

Just ordered all 7 books starting with The last Wish.

Might take a while as I also have other complete series like Shadowmarch, Crown of Stars, Book of Words and Shattered Sea as well on my pile.

On another note I have also purchased The Witcher 3 GotY (again). Already played the vanilla game but from what I read the Add-ons seem to be magnificent.

A replay might be even better after having read the books.

On 9/1/2017 at 0:06 PM, mandred torgridson said:

Thanks everyone. Sounds good to me. How important are The last Wish and Sword of Destiny given I know most persons and their backgrounds?

I would be more interested in the 5 books saga.

We all felt this way, and those of us (me) who skipped them, liked the 5 book saga all right, but when we (I) went back and read the short stories, we (I) realized how much depth was absent in our initial reads. Those first two books, shorts or not, are just amazing.

• 1 month later...

I just started reading the Witcher books recently. Absolutely amazing! The characters are more entertaining than GRRM's characters. Overall the books are more upbeat than ASOIAF... even though they never shy away from showing the brutal atrocities of war.

Dandelion is so much more entertaining than Samwell.
Ciri even beats Arya in my opinion.
No character in ASOIAF comes close to Geralt.

Archived