Andrzej Sapkowski II

Larry.

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The iconography - a character with white hair and the nickname of the White Wolf - sure. The actual character, their storyline, their world, their magical accoutrements, fellow characters and other elements, not so much.

The video link goes into detail.

The Witcher is about a mercenary albino sorcerer. Who gets manipulated by political factions. The Witcher is feared by his appearance, and reputation of his kind. Just like Elric.

Andre plagiarized the first novel of Elric. Elric started off as a mercenary. The life draining sword came after.

1 hour ago, BloodyJollyRoger said:

The video link goes into detail.

The Witcher is about a mercenary albino sorcerer. Who gets manipulated by political factions. The Witcher is feared by his appearance, and reputation of his kind. Just like Elric.

Andre plagiarized the first novel of Elric. Elric started off as a mercenary. The life draining sword came after.

Yeah you need to maybe actually read some of the stuff you are spouting about.

11 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

He's not a very pleasant person. He's arrogant, malignant at times and generally thinks he's smarter than his interlocutor, which, by the way, in many cases turns out to be true, but nobody likes a smart-ass. And yet he's also a very good writer (or at least was - the last two of his novels are mediocre at best). Of course, like I said, everyone's welcome to her/his own opinion.

Well he copies Moorcock in that regard. That guy is an asshole.

Nobody likes trolling, you know.

I read both Moorcock and Sapkowski and they have nothing in common apart from looks of the main character and few other minor things. Also, The Witcher is much better written.

Lastly, if this was plagiarism, why wasn't Sapkowski sued by Moorcock? He's sold hunderds of thousand books after the Netflix show, he would have plenty to pay from.

14 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Nobody likes trolling, you know.

I read both Moorcock and Sapkowski and they have nothing in common apart from looks of the main character and few other minor things. Also, The Witcher is much better written.

Lastly, if this was plagiarism, why wasn't Sapkowski sued by Moorcock? He's sold hunderds of thousand books after the Netflix show, he would have plenty to pay from.

Twilight and Fifty Shades Of Grey made lots of money. Doesn’t mean it is good.

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

That has nothing to do with the actual question. The question was why didn't he sue if it was plagiarism.

At lot of people stolen from Michael Moorcock. Warhammer stolen his work. He just doesn’t care anymore or just gave up.

Being influenced by something isn't the same thing as plagiarism. 

Reminds me of a Twitter thread where someone accused Martin of "ripping off" Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and Tad Williams himself showed up to tell them that's ridiculous. 

I have deleted some posts which were nothing but insults. Stay civil but also remember to back up your arguments with more than links to random YouTube videos. Using sources to back up an argument is fine, telling people to leave the forum and watch some rando do a rant for 15 minutes is not. Make the argument and have the discussion here, or don't have it at all.

Sapkowski did plagiarize Michael Moorcock’s Elric.

1). Both are albino sorcerers

2). Both are mercenaries

3). Both are manipulated by powerful individuals 

4). Both have a strong feminist female sorcerer love interest.

5). Both sleep with gorgeous women

6). Both brood

7). Both live in a dark fantasy version of Europe

8). Both are feared due to appearance and respected origins.

9). Both are called White Wolf

10). Both rely on potions to survive

11). Both went thru trials to unlock their powers

On 7/30/2020 at 8:56 PM, Gigei said:

Guys, you can just use the ignore function if someone starts trolling.

Correction - found that option. But where do I find the delete post option that Wert mentioned?

8 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Correction - found that option. But where do I find the delete post option that Wert mentioned?

Nah, Wert only used his moderator powers to delete posts. Ignore is the only option for us ordinary mortals.

4 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Nah, Wert only used his moderator powers to delete posts. Ignore is the only option for us ordinary mortals.

Thanks 3CityApache! Wasn't sure and felt like I might have been missing the forest for the trees! 

Archived