This book is quite boring....

Kaguya

AFFC is so boring, I mean 800 pages is too much. It's only about quantity than quality. I didn't find any interest in some characters such as Sam (!!), Brienne, Arys. Fortunately, 1/3 of the book is about Jaime and Cersei and their chapters are closer (on the quality aspect) to ASOS. However, I really enjoyed reading the story in the Iron Islands with Euron, Victarion and Asha.

6 months to read AGOT+ACOK+ASOS... and 1 year to read AFFC, I hope that ADWD is better.

It's definitely going to take me longer to read ADWD than the first 3 books but it's looking better than feast so far.

I'm just rereading the books again and am halfway through FFC for the second time. I love the book - it has the Martells (which is always a good thing on my page :cool4: ), it gives insights in new characters like Brienne (one of my favorites) and the Greyjoys (although I don't like a single Greyjoy safe Asha, who seems to be the only one of that family with an ounce of intellect, they are funny to read) and it gives new perspectives to characters, who are there since the first book, but weren't POV characters, like Cersei - her chapters are very interesting. I can almost sympasize with her, when reading her descent into madness.

Since I'm not a huge fan of Daenerys and Jon, I wasn't looking forward to Dance - I thought, that could be my least favourite book ... it is, but it is still a very good read - even the Daenerys and Jon chapters.

The moment you read aFfC you miss Tyrion, Jon & Danaerys, the moment you read aDwD you think how great aFfC actually was. Especially in the first half of aDwD.

I started the re-read on aFfC just now. The prologue is awesome, the improvement in George's writing is really huge.

The moment you read aFfC you miss Tyrion, Jon & Danaerys, the moment you read aDwD you think how great aFfC actually was. Especially in the first half of aDwD.

I started the re-read on aFfC just now. The prologue is awesome, the improvement in George's writing is really huge.

The moment I realized AFFC didn't have Tyrion, Jon & Daneaerys, I skipped it and read ADWD first. I later when back and read AFFC, and wished I were rereading ADWD again.

:)

Cersei makes this book a delight to read. Her chapters are just so chock full of crazy that I have gone back multiple times and read only her 10 chapters, along with the 2 she has in ADWD.

Easily my favorite overall character arc. There's just something about being inside of an obliviously insane person's head that makes me smile. Every step of the way she believes that she's making savvy moves and understanding everybody's motives, and she's just completely wrong every time.

Love cersei, kingsmoot, sand snakes/Arianne. Much better on reread, I really didn't give Martells/Greyjoys a chance on first read because I wanted to see what happened to characters I already knew. Both AFFC and ADWD suffer for dropping the ball on Lady Stoneheart, her introduction promised so much Stark Revenge fun which remains unfulfilled. Not a fan of Brienne chapters, looking for Stark girls when reader knows its a dead end was frustrating and not very much fun.

Cersei makes this book a delight to read. Her chapters are just so chock full of crazy that I have gone back multiple times and read only her 10 chapters, along with the 2 she has in ADWD.

Easily my favorite overall character arc. There's just something about being inside of an obliviously insane person's head that makes me smile. Every step of the way she believes that she's making savvy moves and understanding everybody's motives, and she's just completely wrong every time.

+1 I definetely look forward to re reading hers haha

I've always thought ACOK was way more boring than AFFC. Arya's chapters in ACOK are just painful to get through, Dany does a bunch of nothing, Jon's story is at its nadir, Blackwater is pretty useless as almost nothing changes whatsoever, Robb doesn't do much, etc. AFFC at least has new characters and places, though not all of them are super exciting, like Aeron. Feast starts off fairly slowly, but it picks up considerably the last quarter of the book or so after Jaime V; I've always thought that the "Tyrion is Tywin's son" line is the turning point in the book.

I'm almost a quarter of the way through this one, and while I am still enjoying it, I must say it's a MUCH slower read than any of the previous books for me. I'm really enjoying Cersei's crazy evolution, but reading Brienne search for Sansa has been like pulling teeth. I do like that I'm learning about the different cultures (Martells and Greyjoys), and I find it interesting the shift in Jon's personality since he took on more responsibility. I feel like he's gotten a lot colder. Pun semi-intended. I'm loving Arya so far. Her discovering the House of Black and White made me super excited and hopeful they have that in the show.

Those are my thoughts. Slow start, but still enjoying it in a slightly different way than the other books.

AFFC had all of my favorite POVs in it (except for Brienne, and I like her character, just not her POVs). Cersei is a special favorite, I love seeing how crazy she is. I also liked watching Littlefinger at work and enjoyed Sansa's POV for the first time ever. ADWD has Jon (boring), Davos (boring), Dany (I used to like her chapters, now she's just doing a lot of boring), Brienne (boring), various Ironborn POVs (so boring), and Bran (winner of the most boring POV ever award). The only redeeming factors are Tyrion and JonCon/Aegon, plus Kevan's chapter at the end.

I'm enjoying it more on reread; I think it helps that I know ADWD is waiting for me afterward so I'll be getting those other POVs soon too. When I first read AFFC, obviously, I didn't have that. I still didn't get into Areo Hotah, though.

I've just started a reread of AFFC, but I decided to combine it with ADWD as well, so I'm switching between.

I think it will be easier to appreciate some of what is going on in AFFC when we know the whole story. I suspect a lot of it will make more sense the further we get. The most interesting things about AFFC I think are the things that are hinted at rather than what actually happens.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that this book lulls one into a false sense of "not much happening here".. But then BAM! You realise that there are some major plots points going down. From the inexplicable prologue that comes back to bite you when the not dead Pate is in Sam's POV, the prophecies and dreams etc.

I must confess I was a bit "meh" at the beginning but by the end I was on the edge of my seat, totally hyped for the next book. There are some great cliffhangers.

She is the only thing that saved the book. Her chapters were hilarious in a black comedy sort of way. Arya's were good, but went nowhere. Jamie's were good, but felt thrown in and out of place.

But, the rest of the book? Brienne, hey, anybody seen a red headed gal? LF and Sansa, hanging around blabbing to each other. The martells were a disappointment, after such a big build up to Doran the patient plotter, and his big reveal, is ? nothing. Iron islands: don't care. Sam and Gilly, ugh, again, like Brienne it went on forever, with only little bit of interesting stuff in there.

I can't understand people who say this is their favorite book. It like preferring Lindsay Lohan to Kathryn Hepburn. I literally cannot understand how it's possible.

Archived