This book is quite boring....

Kaguya

Did you see Herbie? ;)

Yeah, really, Feast is a great book. I love the Brienne chapters, it is a great travelogue desribing the smallfolks of Westeros. Love it when she travels with that septon. Sansa, upon re-read even better, is growing as a character.The Martells have 4 chapters, in which various plots and storylines are being triggered. The Ironlands are great chapters, all of them, also only five or six iirc. Samwell is again a great travel.

I enjoyed Cersei's, Jaime's, Victarion's and Sansa's chapters.

Aeron, Aerys and Brienne (apart from her final chapter) were a drag

Everything else was ok (though Arya's chapters were sub-par for Arya).

The only book of the 5 I don't really care for, mainly because there's not enough plot to justify its length. It still wasn't terrible, a big comedwon after the first three though.

I'm on my third reread now and it's the first time I actually "get" the books. I pay much more attention to details and minor characters, and I must say I LOVE Feast.

I do not exactly remember how I thought about it when I read it for the first time, but I guess I thought it a bitt boring and too slow. Especially after the dramatic and very intense SoS.

Now I like Feast even MORE than Storm. There's so much interesting background story, so much "worldbuilding" and interesting insight. I love Cersei, Jaime, Samwell, the Martells (well, I always love them xD), Arya and Sansa/Alayne. And I like most of the Greyjoy chapters.

Though I must admit that Brienne's POV is sometimes a bit boring I do not really have a problem with that since I really like her character.

So - yay, Feast!

AFFC was slightly boring but I still managed to read it in a week. The only truly interesting POV in it was IMO Jaime. The rest wavered between passable and boring. Took me two months to finish the whole series. ADWD while in terms of plot advancement isn't that much better than AFFC, is as a whole IMO a LOT better. Although ADWD is mostly moving pieces and people to the right places in order for TWOW to happen, it has good POVs in it.

AFFC often had some entertaining stuff to read, and I didn't hate the big-ass descriptions of everything just because I love the entire ASOIAF world. But I'm convinced the "geographical split", plus choosing poor cliffhangers for some characters (Starks, Martells, and Greyjoys had weak ending chapters), were bad ideas. And I think Martin realised about this, because he still included Jaime, Cersei, Victarion, Dorne and Arya in the second half of ADWD, which I believe wasn't supposed to happen, but made the difference so the book wasn't as weak.

Maybe if AFFC had got a couple of chapters from the other characters instead of filler, and ADWD had got the ending chapters it was supposed to have, those two books wouldn't have been as controversial as they were...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about halfway through AFFC, finding it quite slow, especially in comparison to the others. Jaime and Cercei's chapters are fabulous, but to be honest I can't wait for the homestretch :uhoh: If I'm really honest I'm feeling the Hound's absence quite heavily, ha ha. I do think this book will be crucial though, I reckon there's some major plot linin' going on that I haven't even noticed :rolleyes:

I'm about 750 pages into the AFFC (paperback version), and while it's so far the least interesting installment, I'm still going through it at a pretty good clip (been reading for about a month now). I love the Iron Islands chapters, and seeing Dorne is cool. While I miss Tyrion, Jon, Daenerys, Davos, and even Bran, it's nice to finally see Cersei's POV and to get more info on Jamie and the other characters. I also like Samwell's journey to the Citadel (been wondering about that place for a while now) and I have deep respect for Brienne's journey of honor. Arya and Sansa undercover is fun too, but I'm afraid Arya will forget her roots. Learning about the Drowned God and seeing how the Iron Islands pick their leader was awesome, too (Kingsmoot, great word for it). Asha's the best. I'm actually enjoying the slower pace of AFFC, I can feel it setting up something HUGE! I trust in GRRM's plan.

• 2 weeks later...

The best part of AFFC to me is the insight to the plight of the small folk. This is definitely going to have some bearing on the future novels I believe. The Cersei chapters are just comedy gold. The Jamie chapter have made him one of my favorite POV's now. It's also nice to see that there's one true knight still left in Westeros. Even though officially she's not a knight. When she takes on all 7 to save the children it's just beautiful. Too many and no choice. Just finished the fourth reread hadn't read it in a couple years.

ACOK is my favorite so far in the series. It just feels like its a great lead up to the climax of the series so far (ASOS) but I know what you mean. It all depends on how much I read in a day. If I take my time and read 50 or so pages a day then it stays new and fresh, but if I go over 100 I burnout and put the book down for a couple days.

I actually found SoS to be the most boring book. Probably because I watched the show (up to end of season 4) before starting the books. It was getting tedious knowing just about everything that was going to happen.

When I started Feast, I actually had to force myself to stop reading at times because I was enjoying it so much and did not want to read all of it to soon. What I loved about this book, was the aftermath of the war and the impact on the small folk of Westeros. I also loved reading Cersei's decent into madness!

DoD was perhaps the best reading experience I have had in a LONG LONG while! You are really going to enjoy it!

Archived