What is the point of Arys Oakheart POV?

Mithras

I would think that it was to give some insight into how a knight might forget his oaths. Its easy to line up the soiled or oath-breaking knights and point our finger on them, when they are in fact falling because of such traits that pretty much every human shares. Sometimes I wonder if the normal guys where the failed Kingsguards and the automons where the celebrated ones.

Arys Oakheart is also relevant to a degree in translating a quality of female rulers to the reader. His mother rules in her own right and he considers Myrcella quick in the mind and a potentially better ruler than Tommen. Considering this position, his POV is right at home when considering the disparaging Brienne gets from knights and men and Ahsa's failed quest for her fathers seat because she is a woman.

Interesting question, the possibilities I can think of are:

1 GRRM wanted Arys just because.

2 GRRM couldn't have Hotah as POV due to plot reasons so he set up Arys out of necessity, since Arianne wasn't expected to be a POV back then.

3 GRRM couldn't have Hotah due to plot reasons, Arianne was expected to be a POV soon or later but that wasn't the case since it would have revealed too much of her/general information in a single chapter.

Personally I'm more onto the third, since this chapter is imo one of the 'worst' of the whole series due to the realization and the lack of investment onto the Arys' character. Most likely he was already bound to be dead/completely out of the picture in GRRM's mind, back at then...

It looks like Arys was a quick, cheap, expendable POV. And most importantly, ignorant of Dorne and their habits, so it's useful to let the reader learn something about the Dornish without being redundant.

Why did GRRM need an extra POV while could give another POV to Arianne?

Because we needed to meet her when she was an arrogant fool and an idiot player before she humbles herself and learns the game. Plus it shows how the Kingsguard can be corrupted.

Also it was a good way to shadow the Jon Snow and his new found "I'm done with women." attitude once he had position and power to see a man who literally gave up women once he got his white cloak for 18+ years to fall into "depravity" despite his mind trying to stay true to his word.

I have seen an interview where he someone asks his least favourite PoV (or maybe the one he most regrets) and he says Arys Oakheart. However, i seem.to remember his reasoning being that as he only gave Arys one chapter he was unable to.build him up as an actual character. Something along those lines anyway.

As for why, I imagine he felt Arriane was not the right PoV at that time. Only.later do we lesrn that she was largely using sex as a way to get her way. There were some feelings, but it was mostly misguided on Arys' part

That's actually a good question. Martin has mentioned that he doesn't like to use POV characters simply to get a camera into the room. He wants them to have a story of their own worth telling (the exception to that informal rule seems to be The Watcher where we get a camera in the room wielding an axe.)

I don't think there's much of anything specifically that gets revealed that couldn't have been done from Arianne's POV. The effect seems to be to introduce Arianne as a player from the viewpoint of the one she's manipulating. It also allows Arianne to be introduced with more of a victim feel. We don't get her leading Oakheart on which might detract from her sympathetic portrayal or make her resemble the cast of manipulators who tend to carry corrupt and negative literary baggage. It may also matter a good deal later when we get an Arianne dealing with a Jon Connington or an Aegon where Oakheart's POV may offer insights into a character's reaction where we don't get the POV. I suspect it relates to sympathy factor in his desired Arianne portrayal and possibly to put a human face on her regret in getting Oakheart killed with her plan.

There's no reason for his POV, in my opinion

His main dilemma ("Should I bang this girl despite my vows or not?") was the same thing we saw with Jon and Ygritte. We already had insight into the minds of two far more interesting Kingsguards in Jaime and Barristan.

Hell, Arianne herself could have described her own nipples in her POV

Yeah GRRM explained in an interview that he felt he wanted to give the reader a good understanding of why he does what he does with regard to bringing Myrcella with him to go with Arianne. He also said he probably wouldnt have written it if he had a chance to do it over. He also said that if that were the case, he'd probably Robb a PoV during aCoK

I think its to show that Arys was deeply troubled by his actions. If the readers had only seen it from Arianne's POV then it would have appeared that he was more than willing to please her, which isn't exactly the case.

Plus it shows that even the good Kingsguard members are susceptible to moments of weakness.

Because George lost is mojo since he finished aSoS

Sucks to say it but I think he did lose a big chunk of it. Hopefully he regains it in WoW

So slowly transition us into a Dorne POV. First we view Dorne from the perspective of someone from Kingslanding, and then from its own perspective.

Except we see Dorne first from Hotah's POV in "The Captain of the Guards"

Archived