[Book Spoilers] EP407 Discussion

Ran

Anyone who follows the show really should remember a certain wedding that took place last season. If they don't then they aren't followers of the show.

I am not overly concerned about the change. I would have prefered the original given that it showed the biggest weakness Baelish has. On that front 'Only Cat' is a crack of light just shining through on his motivations. 'Your sister' doesn't provide the same insight. If 'the audience is too stupid' is a thing, then there is no reason they couldn't have said 'Your sister' then 'Only Cat' as she fell.

I agree that if they had kept the line it wouldn't have been unreasonably confusing. Many would have gotten it right off and many more would have gotten it later or looked it up. This thing called the internet is used by many show viewers and I would think that if they are confused, they are fully capable of doing a few simple searches to find the answer. It's what I do with Mad Men when I see something odd that I can't figure out.

They do have a tendency to dumb things down to an extreme extent at times, especially for a show with lots of original source material that can be consulted at any time.

They aged Jorah like 40 years looks like Dany left him out in the sun to rot as well, it is all very contrived anything they could do to make the Dany Shagging Daario more believable. I think it would of been smarter to have Daario sent off scouting and omitted the whole thing from the show. New Daario is awful.

QFT.

Also, can we take a moment to appreciate Hot Pie's bread sculpting abilities?

I even mentioned to my husband that he did get much better since the last attempt.

Also, Brienne knows that Arya's alive. Wonder how that might come into play for Lady Stoneheart.

I read the books last year and I don't remember half of the things you guys are mentioning. I thought it was difficult to get through the last two books or even care about characters I had invested in earlier in the book series. If they are speeding up Dany's storyline, thank god because it was torturous to read through. I liked the way Arya just stabbed that guy in the heart. I didn't know he was supposed to live for another plotline but I enjoyed the way she just killed without hesitation.

Excellent episode, in my opinion.

Best parts:

- Selyse and Melisandre dialogue. It seems Shireen will have a role to play in the future;

- Tyrion and Bronn dialogue;

- Tyrion and Oberyn speaking about how they met. Pity they didn't put the whole dialogue, when Oberyn tells Tyrion how he believes Tywin murdered Elia and her children to 'pay a debt', since Aerys chose Elia instead of Cersei to marry Rhaegar;

- Robin being Joffrey (I'll make those who bother me fly);

- Lysa Arryn flying (she was bothering me, so...).

Not so good:

- Dario Naharys. I don't think this Dario is as cocky as the other one. He just seems nice;

- New Mountain, who doesn't ride (or act, for all I can tell).

And, by the description of the next episodes on IMDB, I'd say Stannis is not going to reach the wall this season (Mance Rayder isn't in any of the previews so far), but we definetely will have Hazzea!

Description of the last episode says that the NW gets help from an unexpected source.

So he gets to the Wall then.

I read the books last year and I don't remember half of the things you guys are mentioning. I thought it was difficult to get through the last two books or even care about characters I had invested in earlier in the book series. If they are speeding up Dany's storyline, thank god because it was torturous to read through.

Same here exactly.

I'm upset by both of these things. Not understanding the pacing of Brienne's storyline AT ALL.

It looks to me like they're speeding up Brienne's quest in the show vs. the book. We may get the Lady Stoneheart reveal at the end of her quest as the final scene in episode 10 this season.

And I say bravo. Because the Brienne storyline was a massive waste of time in the books, and the single worst storyline in the entire ASOIAF series. The more speeding up they do to it the better.

No, in the books he did not announce it in front of the whole court. He did it privately just like in the show

Yeah he hinted to Tyrion that he could champion him but who was to say if he was being serious. He announced and confirmed it during the final trial in front of the whole court.

she smiled when littlefinger insinuates that he killed joffrey because he'd harmed her family. she'll cover for him.

Because Joffrey almost got Cat killed with his scheme to assasinate Bran, of course the show hasn't got there yet but its coming and Joffrey was just the start, his days were numbered the day Cat came to Kings landing with that knife in Littlefingers mind. Getting revenge for the Red Wedding hasn't even started yet.

Now, you can argue whether or not to nitpick on the "Only Cat" scene. And sure, it's just a single oneliner. But it seems as though D&D just have to be altering slight things to keep the show theirs. As if they have a desperate need to prove themselves.

What's next? Will "Elia!" be cut? "Stannis!"?

So do you think that next season will include all of Feast and Dance? I assume they use that content over the course of the next two seasons.

I really do. I mean, there might be a couple storylines that won't be done (Sam if his arc doesn't change, possibly the Kings Landing plot, etc.), but for most part I think Feast and Dance are done by the end of the next season.

The way I see, regardless of whether the show is 7 or 8 seasons (and I think it'll be 7), D&D are going to want to spend more time on the conclusion, not the middle-ground. If its 7 seasons, then they have to get to TWOW by the end of season 5, and if its 8 seasons then that's time better served as an extra season for TWOW/ADOS (which are presumably going to be very plot heavy books).

Also, imagine how bad it'd be if they planned on 8 seasons, and only got midway through Feast and Dance by the end of season 5, only to be told that nope, HBO needs it be 7 seasons, and then they only have two seasons for two and a half books.