[Book Spoilers] EP407 Discussion

Ran

Not the only one, I think it was weird. He just stands there and gets stabbed. And what even happened to Biter? The Hound throws him off and suddenly he's done. I don't know, maybe I have to rewatch it.

There was a "neck-snapping" sound when the Hound threw him off.

I told you all that Shireen will be the important part in Stannis' plot, k? You didn't believe me!

They obviously changed the line because they weren't sure LF saying, "only Cat" would be understood as a reference to Catelyn stark.

in other news, we finally got an official LF reaction to the red wedding. He never spoke of it in the books IIRC

she smiled when littlefinger insinuates that he killed joffrey because he'd harmed her family. she'll cover for him.

I took it as he killed Joffrey because he used to hurt Sansa. Joffrey had nothing to do with the RW.

Or, he plainly lied.

Bronn's wife is not pregnant. That means there is not going to be a Bastard Tyrion baby

There is still time. By the end of the next season, there will be probably a baby Tyrion XD

Unfortunately they keep ad-libbing when the source material got it right. What is with the shortened running time? This week started late and stopped early. I'm really frustrated that they seem to be saving the battle at the Wall for the end, it would have made a more exciting season to incorporate that plotline earlier. The pacing just seems excruciatingly slow this year, and it's not as if there's not enough material to pull from the books. So far I'm really disappointed in how they chose to weave the major points. :(

Seriously? This has easily been the most well-paced season of the series. We're spending so much time with these characters instead of just jumping around from camp to camp and adding every character into every episode that hurt season 2 so much.

This season has exceeded expectations for me. Everything they're doing is so fantastic.

loved how tyrion got teary eyed when oberyn was telling him the story of the visit. one can see all the emotions he's feeling as he hears himself described as a monster, how cersei says he killed their mother and then how she twists his penis. heartbreaking. and the little laugh when oberyn says a little pink cock. great scene!

eta:

Seriously? This has easily been the most well-paced season of the series. We're spending so much time with these characters instead of just jumping around from camp to camp and adding every character into every episode that hurt season 2 so much.

This season has exceeded expectations for me. Everything they're doing is so fantastic.

agreed! one of their best seasons so far.

Edited by jons nissa

Now, you can argue whether or not to nitpick on the "Only Cat" scene. And sure, it's just a single oneliner. But it seems as though D&D just have to be altering slight things to keep the show theirs. As if they have a desperate need to prove themselves.

What's next? Will "Elia!" be cut? "Stannis!"?

They don't have to 'prove themselves'. They're successful, their show is successful and they are doing a fantastic job.

The only people who feel like they have anything to prove are the ones complaining about it on internet forums.

Edited by sj4iy

It looks to me like they're speeding up Brienne's quest in the show vs. the book. We may get the Lady Stoneheart reveal at the end of her quest as the final scene in episode 10 this season.

And I say bravo. Because the Brienne storyline was a massive waste of time in the books, and the single worst storyline in the entire ASOIAF series. The more speeding up they do to it the better.

I strongly disagree.

Yeah he hinted to Tyrion that he could champion him but who was to say if he was being serious. He announced and confirmed it during the final trial in front of the whole court.

I very much wanted to see a whole court reveal of Oberyns choice to defend Tyrion.

I really wanted to see it during the trial. Something like:

"And who will you name for your champion?" Cersie looks smug naming the Mountain. Tywin looking vicious Jamie looking concerned.

Tyrion says nothing. Looking around, semi-panicked.

"Looks like you are all alone, baby brother." Cersie says. Oberyn rises from his seat.

"No. Not alone."

I respectfully disagree, but that's most likely just due to personal preference. ;) I actually enjoyed season 2, but I binge-watched three seasons and I think that makes a difference. While I have liked the cleaner transitions in this season, I feel as though they have skimped on some of the more interesting moments and focused on things that didn't necessarily lend much to the story. The scenes of Yara/Asha going to recover Theon were really peculiar and didn't have much of a payoff (although I know they needed to end what they began, it was strange to build up that "epic rescue" only to have her run away from two dogs and a shirtless Ramsay). This seemed to take the place of a Mereeneese takeover and I would have rather seen that.

Arya killing the hound, Coldhands, Lady Stoneheart, Oberyn's fight and the Night's Watch battle are being pushed toward the end while Stannis goes to the bank and Melisandre stares into the fire again. To me they're just reestablishing some of the things they've already setup with previous shots. They have multitude of scenes to cherry-pick from in George's writing and it seems like sometimes they go with some really odd choices. I will say however that Tyrion's scenes and all the subsequent King's Landing intrigue have been stellar this season. The trial was outstanding and I loved the casting choice for Oberyn. I also loved Brienne/Podrick and Arya/The Hound, I can't wait for the last three episodes!

Edited by HazelPhoenixFire

Who do you think will be taking the blame for Lysa's death? There were no one else on the room to take Marillion's place. I remember reading Mord will be this season, but it won't make any sense since he wasn't even there?

Neither was anyone else to say he wasn't.

Now, you can argue whether or not to nitpick on the "Only Cat" scene. And sure, it's just a single oneliner. But it seems as though D&D just have to be altering slight things to keep the show theirs. As if they have a desperate need to prove themselves.

What's next? Will "Elia!" be cut? "Stannis!"?

The line change was completely meaningless. But people always have to complain about something, especially people who are obsessed over any change to the show, even one as insignificant as this.

I don't remember from the books - was Jon for or against clogging the tunnel at castle black?

Against it, but only after the Wildling attack was over. He was LC and Marsh kept hounding him to seal up the gate.

OH MY FUCK!!!! THERE GOING TO BURN SHIREEN!!!

That's the first thing I thought. A pit just set in my stomach, what are they going to do to that poor little girl.