[Book Spoilers] EP407 Discussion

Ran

Shireen isn't getting burned. Either Stannis or Davos will save her. Shireen will be going to the wall with Stannis and crew.

Oh I don't think it would happen mow, but having Mel say there is a purpose in her going with them to the Wall does give me at least some concern. Mel's purposes aren't always good.

Yeah, it's not going to happen now. We know that Shireen gets to the Wall and specifically Castle Black by the time Jon gets assassinated. Melisandre has plenty of incentive to drop a bomb following that event, whether to revive Jon or otherwise. And no one is going to stand up for Shireen. The NW is in disarray and the wildlings believe she's cursed. The writing's on the wall in the books.

I agree that if they had kept the line it wouldn't have been unreasonably confusing. Many would have gotten it right off and many more would have gotten it later or looked it up. This thing called the internet is used by many show viewers and I would think that if they are confused, they are fully capable of doing a few simple searches to find the answer. It's what I do with Mad Men when I see something odd that I can't figure out.

They do have a tendency to dumb things down to an extreme extent at times, especially for a show with lots of original source material that can be consulted at any time.

My wife and several friends are all unsullied, and when they're confused, they just ask me. They almost never look stuff up online because they fear spoilers. Not all ASOIAF spoilers are properly labeled and hidden.

That's the first thing I thought. A pit just set in my stomach, what are they going to do to that poor little girl.

i refuse to believe she will be given to the flame. davos will save her! i will not believe anything else.

Admit it. You thought HBO was going to have Mel and Selyse have sex. My personal headcanon takes a bit of a hit as Melly wasn't sporting her ruby choker, but if I closely rewatched old episodes I'd probably notice this isn't the first time.

totally thought this was coming.

Speaking of changes I didn't mind, the fate of Rorge and Biter. It was contrived for them to come out of nowhere and for Rorge to just stand there while Arya killed her. But because of all the changes to the storyline, Brienne never encounters either of them or any of the Bloody Mummers. So it chews some fat off of her storyline.

Kinda funny that The Dreadfort is on the map -- despite no scenes there this week -- and The Eyrie remains off, despite being prominently featured this week, and having previously been an opening credits map location, which would in theory make it easier to add back in than adding a new location from scratch.

We didn't go to Braavos either of course but I don't care because that coin rolling down the slot is dear to me. :)

Yeah I think they haven't been quite as attentive with the map this season. But I guess it saves money not to configure it differently for every episode.

i refuse to believe she will be given to the flame. davos will save her! i will not believe anything else.

totally thought this was coming.

Oh you sweet summer child.... :D

I don't want it to be either and if it does happen (even if it's supposedly to save Jon) I will be very upset. Her life should be as valuable as anyone else's.

I very much wanted to see a whole court reveal of Oberyns choice to defend Tyrion.

I really wanted to see it during the trial. Something like:

"And who will you name for your champion?" Cersie looks smug naming the Mountain. Tywin looking vicious Jamie looking concerned.

Tyrion says nothing. Looking around, semi-panicked.

"Looks like you are all alone, baby brother." Cersie says. Oberyn rises from his seat.

"No. Not alone."

It could still happen, the fight hasn't happened yet

My wife and several friends are all unsullied, and when they're confused, they just ask me. They almost never look stuff up online because they fear spoilers. Not all ASOIAF spoilers are properly labeled and hidden.

I meant reviews. You can go online the day after an episode airs and find plenty of reviews that draw on the up to date source material without going into the stuff that ranges into spoilers.

with brienne, pod, arya and sandor all heading to the vale now, i think the eyrieeneese knot can know be considered a real thing

Brienne and Pod aren't going to the Vale. They're going to find the Brotherhood Without Banners (the last people who had Arya, as far as they know).

Oh you sweet summer child.... :D

I don't want it to be either and if it does happen (even if it's supposedly to save Jon) I will be very upset. Her life should be as valuable as anyone else's.

more valuable, tbh. she's worth 100 of her father and 1000 of her crazy mother. she will be spared.

she has to be. :crying:

Brienne and Pod aren't going to the Vale. They're going to find the Brotherhood Without Banners (the last people who had Arya, as far as they know).

I thought Pod had talked about the Hound and Arya likely going to the Eyrie exclaiming Tyrion told him of all the lord marriages and who hates who and that Arya's aunt would be the only place to ransom Arya since they thought she was with the Hound based on Hot Pie's information.