[Book Spoilers] EP407 Discussion

Ran

Heh, I'd never considered that either, in all the years of reading the books and following the thousands of theories on thiss bbs and elsewhere. Brilliant - an overused British word, but in this case, "quite" (another Britishy word) accurate.

Did anyone else cheer when Lysa plummeted screaming to her death. Yay!

Thanks ^^ I'd thought about it in the books, but we don't have this scene in the books that so blatantly says that she is needed very much.

And I was so, so happy to see Lysa "fly" XD

Edited by sj4iy

As a book purist, even I don't mind the change from 'only Cat' to 'your sister' -- it just doesn't change anything for me. However, if people are saying that D&D did it for the unsullied, well, I think that's really not giving the tv viewers any credit for intelligence.

They not only re-iterated how much Littlefinger loves 'Sansa's Mom' just a few scenes prior (and god knows we've heard it for 4 seasons straight now)... but come on -- they think TV viewers won't remember who Catelyn STARK was? They think they forgot the woman's name from the Red Wedding? Lol, that's laughable and insulting.

No. Makes zero sense. If it were some secondary character, sure -- but not Catelyn Stark.

I think they changed it just to change it -- cuz they can.

That aside - I liked the episode, Oberyn, Jaime, Sansa and Tyrion mainly. Not tickled with the Wall stuff, but loved all the Tyrion-cell scenes.

As a book purist, even I don't mind the change from 'only Cat' to 'your sister' -- it just doesn't change anything for me. However, if people are saying that D&D did it for the unsullied, well, I think that's really not giving the tv viewers any credit for intelligence.

They not only re-iterated how much Littlefinger loves 'Sansa's Mom' just a few scenes prior (and god knows we've heard it for 4 seasons straight now)... but come on -- they think TV viewers won't remember who Catelyn STARK was? They think they forgot the woman's name from the Red Wedding? Lol, that's laughable and insulting.

No. Makes zero sense. If it were some secondary character, sure -- but not Catelyn Stark.

That aside - I liked the episode, Oberyn, Jaime, Sansa and Tyrion mainly. Not tickled with the Wall stuff, but loved all the Tyrion-cell scenes.

Oh yeah, that's right, ITA on The Wall stuff this week. I was so happy with everything else, I totally forgot Jon and the sealing of the Wall. WTF? Now I am worried about Grenn's fate, I think that could be why they had Jon say that. How they will have him do the 180 on such feelings later??? and IF they even will......I'm scared to contemplate.

And yes, the leave out stuff like Only Cat......cause they can. I think they do it to irk people sometimes, quite frankly. Or, to try their hand at writing, ROFL!!

I liked the change in Littlefinger's line just because it pisses off so many purists. :) That scene was great regardless of the change.

Great episode. 2 weeks...

Heh, I'd never considered that either, in all the years of reading the books and following the thousands of theories on thiss bbs and elsewhere. Brilliant - an overused British word, but in this case, "quite" (another Britishy word) accurate.

Did anyone else cheer when Lysa plummeted screaming to her death. Yay!

It wasn't slow-motion, so the slo-mo death is probably going to be Ygritte's at the Wall.

Because if he'd said "Only Cat" this thread would be full of people complaining about how Aiden Gillen's ever-shifting accent fucked up the "Only Cat" delivery and OMG RUINED THE LINE.

:)

Sometimes it's best to try and go your own way instead of follow in footsteps that no one will ever give you credit for measuring up to, anyway.

Kinda funny that The Dreadfort is on the map -- despite no scenes there this week -- and The Eyrie remains off, despite being prominently featured this week, and having previously been an opening credits map location, which would in theory make it easier to add back in than adding a new location from scratch.

We didn't go to Braavos either of course but I don't care because that coin rolling down the slot is dear to me. :)

This bugs the hell out of me every episode. They are really getting lazy with the opening credits map.

I liked the Wall scene, for as little as we got. It was interesting to see them flip the lines of Marsh and Jon that way and have Jon advocate for sealing the gate and Thorne saying 'no'. It's more character building, really. Still, nice to see it.

This bugs the hell out of me every episode. They are really getting lazy with the opening credits map.

I got up and got myself something to drink during the credits and turned out the lights.

It's really not that big of a deal at this point in the season, is it?

Oh yeah, that's right, ITA on The Wall stuff this week. I was so happy with everything else, I totally forgot Jon and the sealing of the Wall. WTF? Now I am worried about Grenn's fate, I think that could be why they had Jon say that. How they will have him do the 180 on such feelings later??? and IF they even will......I'm scared to contemplate.

And yes, the leave out stuff like Only Cat......cause they can. I think they do it to irk people sometimes, quite frankly. Or, to try their hand at writing, ROFL!!

I have mixed feelings on the sealing of the Wall because it's diametrically opposed to Jon's later stance as well, but it does make a certain amount of sense at the moment? The tunnel is the one point where Mance's army can breach the Wall right now and if it's sealed, then Castle Black can hold back the attack for significantly longer. It's an appropriate solution for this situation where it's not a feasible solution for the situation after Mance's forces are beaten and scattered.

Just came to me that there was no Tywin in this episode... How dare they?

Tywin will soon be killed and they have the audacity of letting him out of an entire episode?

I can't think of a world without TV show Tywin Lannister... Charles Dance is way better than book Tywin...

Re: The Wall.. that's exactly what I was thinking -- how will they have him completely flip? And why? And I second your thoughts on Grenn... ugh.

And you know, I don't mind some of their created scenes -- some are awesome (!) but when you change excellent writing for something that is less-than... I don't get it, and don't respect it.

Both the snow castle and especially the Moon Door bit were way too fast. There was barely an escalating tension (something the writers don't seem to be fond of, really) in the latter. It would be nice if Sansa's plot could get as much screentime as it actually needs, rather than however much the writers have left when they're done writing everything else.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

I liked the Wall scene, for as little as we got. It was interesting to see them flip the lines of Marsh and Jon that way and have Jon advocate for sealing the gate and Thorne saying 'no'. It's more character building, really. Still, nice to see it.

Oh I can't wait for Throne and Slynt to get theirs how dare he threaten to make Ghost stew.. Bastard.

Anyone else cheer when Sansa smacked Sweetrobin in the face....

and so they changed it a little bit to your Sister instead of only Cat, I was more creeped out by Sansa getting her kiss...

Edited by Alia Atreides

I liked the change in Littlefinger's line just because it pisses off so many purists. :) That scene was great regardless of the change.

Great episode. 2 weeks...

Actually, my post that you replied to started off saying "As a book purist, even I don't mind the change from 'only Cat' to 'your sister' -- it just doesn't change anything for me."

So, nope - sorry, can't accommodate you cuz I'm not pissed. What I said was that the reasons ppl are giving for the change are senseless. The TV viewers aren't 3-year-olds who can't be trusted to retain knowledge. It's silly, lol

ETA: clarity

Edited by ipsuel