[Book Spoilers] EP407 Discussion

Ran

It looks like the introduction to LS will be the Brienne and Pod encounter. :frown5:

I was hoping they would give the audience the chance to root for LS (taking out Freys and avenging the Starks) before despising her for wanting favourites dead (Jaime, Brienne, Pod).

I really wanted to see a Frey dangle, the Merrett scene was just so awesome!

Its still possible we see some dangling Frey's. Brienne and Pod could stumble upon the Brotherhood executing a Frey.

Good point, Harry. I don't think it'll be too difficult though. "My wife caught me having a moment with my bastard daughter and got jealous I hadn't spent as much time with her. She tried to kill Alayne and cut it a little too close, if you know what I mean."

Seems a simple enough explanation.

I guess the most logical thing they could do is have what you just said happen, then Lysa trips or something when she's with Sansa. Just saw the preview for next week's ep. so at least we know we'll see the meeting with the Vale Lords then.

Lesson learned kids; never play around an open Moon Door. :D

PREDICTION: Jorah's advice to Dany concerning Yunkai is going to have a bad ending. They will get into an argument about this and she will exile him in one of her childish fits.

And then Dany will devolve into more childish fits after Jorah leaves.

/*sigh* I used to love her story lines, too

Edited by sj4iy

While I'm not a purist who flips out at everything, while I do my best to go with the flow and enjoy the show (hell, I LMAO at Robb and Talisa and love at first sight over an amputation and dream up scenes of them and Ramsey being jealous, not to mention, you KNOW that Robb would have loved to watch Talisa at least do the Qyburn job on Jaime's hand), I don't think your example illustrates anything other than the point that how names or titles are used do mean something. Cersei is calling Jaime Lord Commander to establish distance between them, as each did many times in the books, such as Jaime using Your Grace with Cersei. That goes back and forth alot in the books, and it's them showing us, and each other, their developing distance. Just as 'only Cat' speaks of a man saying the name of the woman he claimed to love his whole life, who was on the show for three seasons and whose corpse will most likely be seen again.......instead of saying 'your sister' because, well, they don't seem to trust some with memory of details. FFS, if people, book readers or not, don't know who Catelyn Tully Stark was........they certainly don't know off hand who Lysa's sister is.

Not all complaints are because, OH NO........it's different from the books. And not all who complain......hate the show, they might just actually want to see it done a bit better. They may want D&D to have some trust in the viewers. They may want changes to actually be improvements or at least a draw. It's not always a declaration of war, it's just discussion.

I feel the same way and I have been blasted on here a couple times for being a "purist." Thank you for succinctly summing up how I feel about the TV show. I have tolerated all of the departures from the books, even liked many of them, although it seems like the further we get along, the more the departures really mean to the story - perhaps because we're getting closer to the end. I fully agree that if you're going to provide filler, at least make it better or more believable then what is going on in the books.

If that's true, it's going to be the most pirated single episode of a TV show history

:rofl:

The way Selyse was looking at Mel...

to me, it seemed like Selyse was actually sexually attracted to her, not envious. (Well, maybe a little envious, but it looked like the desire overrode the envy.)

I didn't like this scene that much.. it was cool to see Mel's things, but the unnecessary nudity was ridiculous and the insinuation that Mel will use Shireen for something was too much. I too thought Selyse was attracted to her by the way the camera panned down. I hope they won't make that a thing. Maybe it was supposed to be jealousy and I missed it...

I feel the same way and I have been blasted on here a couple times for being a "purist." Thank you for succinctly summing up how I feel about the TV show. I have tolerated all of the departures from the books, even liked many of them, although it seems like the further we get along, the more the departures really mean to the story - perhaps because we're getting closer to the end. I fully agree that if you're going to provide filler, at least make it better or more believable then what is going on in the books.

:rofl:

I didn't like this scene that much.. it was cool to see Mel's things, but the unnecessary nudity was ridiculous and the insinuation that Mel will use Shireen for something was too much. I too thought Selyse was attracted to her by the way the camera panned down. I hope they won't make that a thing. Maybe it was supposed to be jealousy and I missed it...

The nudity isn't unnecessary or gratuitous here; the scene is all but shot from Selyse's POV and it's making it clear that Selyse realizes how attractive Mel is since she's had misgivings about Stannis and Mel getting it on but her fervor for their Lord and her devotion to Mel helps her get through that.

Would be interesting if they were like 'No way would Lady Lysa simply fall...' and then the scene cuts to Balon Greyjoy falling off of Pyke.

Very solid and interesting idea. They're getting really good with those foreshadowing cuts and I wonder when Balon is going to die, although it's probably likely that he dies off screen. But I feel like that has to happen next episode or Ep. 10, will take literally a two minute scene with Asha receiving the news and deciding to sail back to make her claim to set it up.

The nudity isn't unnecessary or gratuitous here; the scene is all but shot from Selyse's POV and it's making it clear that Selyse realizes how attractive Mel is since she's had misgivings about Stannis and Mel getting it on but her fervor for their Lord and her devotion to Mel helps her get through that.

Maybe it was bad acting but I had a hard time believing Selyse when she said that it was okay because of religious reasons. Either way, it was something that is really hard for me to wrap my head around. I have no idea what that scene meant.

Maybe it was bad acting but I had a hard time believing Selyse when she said that it was okay because of religious reasons. Either way, it was something that is really hard for me to wrap my head around. I have no idea what that scene meant.

She was showing Selyse in her true form, baring all to her. She told her about the glamour she uses on others to lead them to the truth, but she believes that Selyse is strong enough to handle the truth that Melisandre might use her daughter for some unspeakable purpose. Everything she said was a clever ploy to reassure Selyse as to her sleeping with Stannis and to convince her to take Shireen with her to the Wall.

It was actually very clever when you think about it.

She was showing Selyse in her true form, baring all to her. She told her about the glamour she uses on others to lead them to the truth, but she believes that Selyse is strong enough to handle the truth that Melisandre might use her daughter for some unspeakable purpose. Everything she said was a clever ploy to reassure Selyse as to her sleeping with Stannis and to convince her to take Shireen with her to the Wall.

:agree: Spot on. Plus, and I've already mentioned this earlier in the thread, the scene does establish that they're all leaving Dragonstone soon. It's likely that Mel is setting the scene to use Shireen for unspeakable purposes but also very likely that when they both look into the flames Mel is showing her that Dragonstone isn't the safest place to be in the very near future.

Would someone who follows only the show even have realised who "Cat" is, without having to think about it for a sec?

Saying "your sister" just makes it more clear.

also slightly more cutting to Lysa, though obviously she knows who Cat is either way.

It makes me feel bad for Selyse, but I know I shouldn't. It's been a while since I read this (i'm almost there on a reread) but was there actually any discussion of not taking Shireen to the Wall?

:agree: Spot on. Plus, and I've already mentioned this earlier in the thread, the scene does establish that they're all leaving Dragonstone soon. It's likely that Mel is setting the scene to use Shireen for unspeakable purposes but also very likely that when they both look into the flames Mel is showing her that Dragonstone isn't the safest place to be in the very near future.

It's been established for a few episodes now, I thought. When I saw this scene I wondered why the heck they haven't left yet. Despite it all, it's quite a journey to the wall, especially in late fall. I guess I am just super confused about the direction they're taking this plotline in.

Didn't think of that. She gets the letter, reads it, and THEN has the childish fit and exiles Jorah.

Yeah. I'm going to miss Selmy's little talk about the things he can cook in that sequence. I really wish they had done the Whitebeard thing. Strong Belwas or not it would have been better and frankly wouldn't have taken anymore time.

It makes me feel bad for Selyse, but I know I shouldn't. It's been a while since I read this (i'm almost there on a reread) but was there actually any discussion of not taking Shireen to the Wall?

It's been established for a few episodes now, I thought. When I saw this scene I wondered why the heck they haven't left yet. Despite it all, it's quite a journey to the wall, especially in late fall. I guess I am just super confused about the direction they're taking this plotline in.

From a show only-perspective the viewer knows for sure some sort of plan to go up there has been in place since Davos told Stannis about it last season, but it hadn't been confirmed on the show until this week. Last week we had the whole Iron Bank plotline which Stannis needed (and apparently he needed Saan's ships too) so they couldn't confirm sailing in the show-universe until the $$$ and ships were secured.

We know Stannis will be at the Wall in Episode 9. It's doubtful we get a Stannis scene next week unless they want to spend one minute on showing him sail finally. Where they are going with Shireen's plotline is less certain but at least they are alluding to the fact that they might want to burn her for prophecy stuff.