[Book Spoilers] EP407 Discussion

Ran

Yes the Dumbledore looking dude :). I love him and Patrick Stewart but not enough to watch the X-Men Movies that is like another entire Universe that could take a natural life to track/follow and understand. LOTR was popular long before Harry but yes they did coincide and had Peter Jackson directing them he is a really detail oriented director King Kong by him was awesome.

I think we should make a Game of Thrones support thread for this Sunday :) :) since it won't be on...

If I'm around, I'd be happy to participate. I usually don't post as a show airs, as it'll steal my attention, but if I'm home with free time over the holiday weekend, I'd be happy to participate. I wonder if HBO is airing a rerun. Not that I haven't already rewatched this week's episode, full of Oberyn loveliness.

If I'm around, I'd be happy to participate. I usually don't post as a show airs, as it'll steal my attention, but if I'm home with free time over the holiday weekend, I'd be happy to participate. I wonder if HBO is airing a rerun. Not that I haven't already rewatched this week's episode, full of Oberyn loveliness.

I think if I am not mistaken they are showing this weekend The Normal Heart in its place. I should be home early on Sunday too...

I think if I am not mistaken they are showing this weekend The Normal Heart in its place. I should be home early on Sunday too...

Thanks for that, HBO will be happy to know.....I saw the ads for that and want to see it, LOL The preGoT ads usually tick me off, especially since they do not seem to start the show at 9 o'clock much anymore.

I just can't even begin to describe the total lack of temptation I felt for ever reading the books or seeing the movies. I semi-follow along on Big Bang reruns, the LOTR jokes, but can just substitute other isms for that geeking. That's about as far as I go. Viggo looked good in the ads, but meh on the movies tempting me.

I heart Eowyn (my icon)... The LOTR books are really good, think ASOIAF without the sex scenes! The movies were really good, too, I have to read/watch every so often, never gets old. Not trying to move you past your stubbornness or anything... :)

I heart Eowyn (my icon)... The LOTR books are really good, think ASOIAF without the sex scenes! The movies were really good, too, I have to read/watch every so often, never gets old. Not trying to move you past your stubbornness or anything... :)

I had no idea who your icon was, she is beautiful, though. I've always wondered who that is, LOL

I may give in someday, ASOIAF sat in my house for YEARS, four of the books, my bestfriend knew I already was a GRRM fan, but as I say, stubborn, LOL It took boredom and well, I needed the tradeback size, at least. Quite frankly, Harry Potter typeset ruined my eyes, I think, not age, no no no no no. I have to confess, though, I'm serious about the lack of interest in it. I watched a History Channel show about myths and authors, etc., most of the series about Greek, etc., but they did a LOTR episode, too. I watched that, was more interested in that than reading the books, though.

Edited by Lady Fevre Dream

Thanks for that, HBO will be happy to know.....I saw the ads for that and want to see it, LOL The preGoT ads usually tick me off, especially since they do not seem to start the show at 9 o'clock much anymore.

I think I'll try the Normal Heart. AIDS was just starting to show up in the Bay Area when I got there and looked deadly serious medically and politically there when I left. I then went to Salt Lake for med school & it was like resetting the clock backward. Then I went back to the front in Seattle for residency and fellowship. I lost a few friends and my patients broke my heart. I was actually treating patients one year post MD then radiology where you don't see a lot of patients. I can spot pneumocystis pneumonia on an X-ray across the room though and there were a lot. My first training resident went into Infectious Disease specializing in HIV and he came out to the boonies here and dropped the bomb of efficacious retroviral therapy. Suddenly people stopped saying : we've lost Africa. It was the horror of my generation. Guys like Larry Kramer + AIDS are why homophobia is out and gay marriage is in. Gay men had to get political to save their lives and their rights.

Rant endeth

I had no idea who your icon was, she is beautiful, though. I've always wondered who that is, LOL

If you do watch the movies (not that you will, mind you!), watch the extended version... Books are really good, they take you into a different world, makes you look at this one in a different way, like I suppose all good writing does.

I think I'll try the Normal Heart. AIDS was just starting to show up in the Bay Area when I got there and looked deadly serious medically and politically there when I left. I then went to Salt Lake for med school & it was like resetting the clock backward. Then I went back to the front in Seattle for residency and fellowship. I lost a few friends and my patients broke my heart. I was actually treating patients one year post MD then radiology where you don't see a lot of patients. I can spot pneumocystis pneumonia on an X-ray across the room though and there were a lot. My first training resident went into Infectious Disease specializing in HIV and he came out to the boonies here and dropped the bomb of efficacious retroviral therapy. Suddenly people stopped saying : we've lost Africa. It was the horror of my generation. Guys like Larry Kramer + AIDS are why homophobia is out and gay marriage is in. Gay men had to get political to save their lives and their rights.

Rant endeth

Good Rant. I'm interested to see the movie as I came of age in the 80s in a small town, but on the East Coast not far from the cities. I remember this time well, even in preteens, I was always politically and socially aware. I'm very interested to see the movie, and it's amazing to think how much time has passed since the start of it, the nameless plague. So much has changed from the 80s, not all of it for the better. I'm afraid to think about how the political polarization of NOW could effect a problem like this arising in the present. Kind of a scary thought.

Edited by Lady Fevre Dream

I've noticed the reports on the ratings continually going up, up, up. I have to admit, I wonder if the death of another great character will bring the Unsullied to a breaking point. I'm not surprised that some suspect a character like Oberyn could go, but I wonder if they are really, really ready for it? Then again, I suspect many will just HAVE to know what happens to Tyrion after the finale.

There was a Joffrey death to sorta make up for it I guess but yeah its going to leave a bunch of show watchers disappointed. I will say as a show watcher only until this season, I did love the shocking deaths of Ned/Robb/Catelyn... I mean it was obviously very sad to see them die but at the same time, I loved that shocking moment, something which almost no TV shows or even movies can do to you.

trgryn-strk-lnstr-mrtell

I noticed the Hobb shoutout on my rewatch......alas, it came with a threat against Ghost. I'm not sure if I'm just hearing the book in my mind, but did Jon or Sam ever mention him? I may be confusing the book scenes in my mind, and just giving the actors' voices to the scenes?

@Alia Atreides I was going to look that up, too.

@trgyn-strk, etc., etc., LOL (copy and paste crapped out and/or I messed it up) Alas, I am saving any shot at languages for learning real ones, Portuguese or actually, Dutch.......I do have an affinity for the Dutch Caribbean.

Hmmmm, A Girl Must...........check for other Hobb references in the show on

e of these days.

I believe Sam mentioned Hobb to Gilly when telling her about CB and how he makes famous venison stew...

Then recently before Sam took gilly to Mole Town, they were at the table plucking feathers and Gilly said she had to get the birds to Hobb ..

I believe Sam mentioned Hobb to Gilly when telling her about CB and how he makes famous venison stew...

Then recently before Sam took gilly to Mole Town, they were at the table plucking feathers and Gilly said she had to get the birds to Hobb ..

Thank you for that, I wasn't sure if I was confusing my memories of the books, especially with the first scene of Sam describing Hobb's cooking and Castle Black on the whole.

I do remember the added scene now thanks to your help with refreshing my memory.

It's amazing how a little Hobb mention can cheer a fan up, LOL I wonder if they'll have his cooking apron in the ring during elections for Lord Commander.

It's amazing how a little Hobb mention can cheer a fan up, LOL I wonder if they'll have his cooking apron in the ring during elections for Lord Commander.

Yes! This is all building very nicely, I like how they've streamlined the Castle Black story a little bit. Though my unsullied fellow-watcher is a little confused as to how it's taking Mance so long to take his army to the wall when they've been spied from Craster's Keep by Jon and the others, as well as Ygritte's merry band of Wildlings...I mean, how long were they supposed to be gone north of the wall and she still hasn't caught up with Jon?

Overall I was happy with a lot of the episode, especially the dialogue, as it was so true to the books. So much of it was so perfect, it was a delight to hear it spoken by the characters! I'm worried that the Oberyn storyline (which I am so looking forward to because Oberyn has been fantastically portrayed) might tip my sweet summer child over the edge, though, and he might never return (though he'll want to find out where our little Tyrion pops up next).

Now for the negatives, and I say this as a proud Irish woman, Aidan Gillan is absolutely bloody awful!!! Jesus, where is Littlefinger even supposed to be FROM at this stage?! And his creepiness is getting more pantomime by the day...really disappointed in his efforts in what should have been a fantastic scene. I thought it lacked a little something-something, and I felt a bit sorry for Sophie Turner, who turned in a bravosa performance, that she had to play up against his mincing bad-acting.

It also REALLY bothers me how straightforward they are being about Littlefinger's orchestration of the main movements throughout the 'game of thrones' - I liked that the books pretty much told you this was happening, but also left it open to a little interpretation because it sometimes seemed as though Littlefinger might just be over-inflating his own importance. Obviously there's no denying his and Lysa's scheming with Jon Arryn, but Joffrey's death seemed like it might have been a Tyrell push, and so it could still turn out that he was as much a pawn as a player in that situation. Of course the TV show has to leave a lot of the ambiguity to the sidelines and just deal in more straightforward situations, but it's still a little bit niggly...

I'm also not completely sold on the Brienne and Pod comedy show...Brienne is so earnest and serious in the books, she wants so much to serve honourably and memorably, and the TV show is selling her out a little bit.... However, the episode overall was pretty good, and I am loving the Hound/Arya dynamic as it has appeared onscreen (though I wish they didn't have Arya so much like an assassin, instead of a reluctant badass) - another separation I'm not looking forward to with my unsullied co-watcher, as he already wants a spin-off show featuring the two of them...

but Joffrey's death seemed like it might have been a Tyrell push, and so it could still turn out that he was as much a pawn as a player in that situation.

How? He was the one who spread tales of Joffrey's wickedness hoping to draw Olenna out.

How? He was the one who spread tales of Joffrey's wickedness hoping to draw Olenna out.

Oh yeah, for sure. But Olenna's renowned throughout the kingdom as the Queen of Thorns for her savvy and her insightfulness (and ruthlessness)...and it seems to me she would have made it her business to be very aware of every variation on her granddaughter's route to the throne. I think she regretted the Renly situation a lot, because it was taken out of their hands (her son pushed for it too much, her grandson was in love with Renly, and then Renly was taken without any real battle or something tangible to hang on to), and she would never have allowed that to happen again. She's way too smart.

I agree that Littlefinger was hugely instrumental - he definitely hastened the situation, and presumably volunteered the subterfuge that led to Joffrey's death, but I think his cockiness at his own cunning will most certainly be his downfall, and his conviction that he's the main player in all of this is suspect. I don't doubt that he has a place in the game of thrones, but I doubt his OWN vision of his place in the game of thrones.

Does that make sense? :dunno: