[Book Spoilers] EP407 Discussion

Ran

Yes! This is all building very nicely, I like how they've streamlined the Castle Black story a little bit. Though my unsullied fellow-watcher is a little confused as to how it's taking Mance so long to take his army to the wall when they've been spied from Craster's Keep by Jon and the others, as well as Ygritte's merry band of Wildlings...I mean, how long were they supposed to be gone north of the wall and she still hasn't caught up with Jon?

Overall I was happy with a lot of the episode, especially the dialogue, as it was so true to the books. So much of it was so perfect, it was a delight to hear it spoken by the characters! I'm worried that the Oberyn storyline (which I am so looking forward to because Oberyn has been fantastically portrayed) might tip my sweet summer child over the edge, though, and he might never return (though he'll want to find out where our little Tyrion pops up next).

Now for the negatives, and I say this as a proud Irish woman, Aidan Gillan is absolutely bloody awful!!! Jesus, where is Littlefinger even supposed to be FROM at this stage?! And his creepiness is getting more pantomime by the day...really disappointed in his efforts in what should have been a fantastic scene. I thought it lacked a little something-something, and I felt a bit sorry for Sophie Turner, who turned in a bravosa performance, that she had to play up against his mincing bad-acting.

It also REALLY bothers me how straightforward they are being about Littlefinger's orchestration of the main movements throughout the 'game of thrones' - I liked that the books pretty much told you this was happening, but also left it open to a little interpretation because it sometimes seemed as though Littlefinger might just be over-inflating his own importance. Obviously there's no denying his and Lysa's scheming with Jon Arryn, but Joffrey's death seemed like it might have been a Tyrell push, and so it could still turn out that he was as much a pawn as a player in that situation. Of course the TV show has to leave a lot of the ambiguity to the sidelines and just deal in more straightforward situations, but it's still a little bit niggly...

I'm also not completely sold on the Brienne and Pod comedy show...Brienne is so earnest and serious in the books, she wants so much to serve honourably and memorably, and the TV show is selling her out a little bit.... However, the episode overall was pretty good, and I am loving the Hound/Arya dynamic as it has appeared onscreen (though I wish they didn't have Arya so much like an assassin, instead of a reluctant badass) - another separation I'm not looking forward to with my unsullied co-watcher, as he already wants a spin-off show featuring the two of them...

Thanks for the reply, I did read it all, and will respond once I'm fully fuctioning today, LOL

I did just want to say first: Spot on about TVMance, he does seem to be taking the scenic route, and a few detours.

Snoop on GoT? This needs to happen. Trying to think of who he'd show up as, since it appears a member of the Unsullied is out....

The kindly man

Jon Con could be a brother...

The new High Septon

My personally fave: they make up a new character for him to take Penny's role. And we get a whole season of Snoop and Tyrion touring across Eeoss.

^this was my favourite part.

I think snoop seems like a pretty big fan

While his music ain't my thing, Snoop is a great guy to have as a fan of a tvshow, loyal as all get out, too. He'd make a good second for Sallador Saan, that way......he wouldn't have to worry about the Unsullied recruitment issues and well, Hotah is a bit quiet, subdued and built for Snoop. He'd make a great pirate.

Drifting on the off week back into parts played in other shows by cast. Got through 3/4 of Zero Dark Thirty & looked on IMDb for a cast member and surprised to see Dillane in the cast. Even in retrospect not obvious. There's a little body language and an accent sneaks past once in a while but I wouldn't have seen it. So of course a bit of rewinding!

Interestingly, there was a massively popular series called Fullmetal Alchemist where this problem arose. The FMA anime started up when the manga was still ongoing but was less than halfway through the total number of chapters that would be published (with chapters being published once a month). Predictably, the anime ran out of story, and so the anime deviated significantly from the manga and came up with its own back half of the plot and its own conclusion. A completely off-source, new animated movie was made using the anime canon.

Eventually, of course, the manga was about to be completed. So another anime was made (FMA: Brotherhood), remaking the entire series and from beginning to end adhering pretty strictly to manga canon (although the manga and the anime finished pretty close to one another, as I recall). They even used a number of the same voice actors for the characters.

And I watched the and of "brotherhood" before i read the mangas.

So, spoilled the manga for sure, but, watching the anime without knowing what was going to happen was fun too :)

Watching GOT as unsullied would be some change. (If that happens)

So back to topic.

What's the fuss with "only cat" ? Didn't even noticed the change, that line didn't it me when reading the books.

Tyrion still awesome.

I don't know why people would think Brom betrayed Tyrion. It's more "I've risked my life enough for now" than a will to hurt / betray Tyrion.

Edited by EowynCarter

And I watched the and of "brotherhood" before i read the mangas.

So, spoilled the manga for sure, but, watching the anime without knowing what was going to happen was fun too :)

Watching GOT as unsullied would be some change. (If that happens)

So back to topic.

What's the fuss with "only cat" ? Didn't even noticed the change, that line didn't it me when reading the books.

Tyrion still awesome.

I don't know why people would think Brom betrayed Tyrion. It's more "I've risked my life enough for now" than a will to hurt / betray Tyrion.

I agree there was disappointment but no treachery

To some including me Only Cat was more poetic or powerful or something. The whole scene was one of Petyr's truly honest moments. I didn't go ballistic but preferred "only cat". I thought D&D really are trying to be clear for non readers and that choice is compatible if not a little overboard.

I suppose someone brought this up...but I suddenly realized that back in Season 3 there is a scene between Varys and Ros where she give him a drawing of the living space in LF boat.

Ros points out something to him.

Varys suddenly realizes something is about to happen ... then Sansa disappears.

So Varys knows where Sansa is , but does not tell the small council or , well it not come up, at trial.

Edited by boojam

I suppose someone brought this up...but I suddenly realized that back in Season 3 there is a scene between Varys and Ros where she give him a drawing of the living space in LF boat.

Ros points out something to him.

Varys suddenly realizes something is about to happen ... then Sansa disappears.

So Varys knows where Sansa is , but does not tell the small council or , well it not come up, at trial.

Not exactly...he figured out that Petyr meant to take Sansa with him, and then helped set up the Sansa-Loras marriage. Petyr found out, and responded by telling the Lannisters, who responded by marrying Sansa to Tyrion. Petyr then gave Ros to Joffrey for target practice as punishment, and then gave the "Chaos is a Ladder" speech to Varys before leaving (without Sansa) to the Vale. While Varys might suspect Petyr, he has no clue that Petyr came back for Sansa (nobody knew Dontos was working for Petyr, and Petyr parked his boat away from Kings Landing or any witnesses.

Edited by ground_control

Not exactly...he figured out that Petyr meant to take Sansa with him, and then helped set up the Sansa-Loras marriage. Petyr found out, and responded by telling the Lannisters, who responded by marrying Sansa to Tyrion. Petyr then gave Ros to Joffrey for target practice as punishment, and then gave the "Chaos is a Ladder" speech to Varys before leaving (without Sansa) to the Vale. While Varys might suspect Petyr, he has no clue that Petyr came back for Sansa (nobody knew Dontos was working for Petyr, and Petyr parked his boat away from Kings Landing or any witnesses.

Since Ros is not in the books... Vary's conversation changes the dynamics, now Varys is alerted and can lay down the ground work for spying on LF.

In the books it's less transparent... but it's hard to imagine , the way GRRM has constructed the character that Varys does not know where Sansa is.

I think he does and holds behind his back as an ace. To use, well I don't know.

Since Ros is not in the books... Vary's conversation changes the dynamics, now Varys is alerted and can lay down the ground work for spying on LF.

In the books it's less transparent... but it's hard to imagine , the way GRRM has constructed the character that Varys does not know where Sansa is.

I think he does and holds behind his back as an ace. To use, well I don't know.

Not sure what you mean -- I was responding to a statement you made about the show with statements about the show.