[Book Spoilers] EP407 Discussion

Ran

Human bites are nasty. The human mouth is full of lots of bacteria. I'm an doctor and we routinely give the strongest oral antibiotics (sometimes even IV) for human bites that pierce the skin and draw blood (which this one did), even if it's just a piddly one from a toddler.

Where the hound was bit was pretty nasty too. On an arm or a leg the infection could be more localised, but the neck, it's going to spread.

Also the wound is probably going to left largely untreated.

I have a feeling that if we do in fact get LS, that we won't see Arya/Nymeria pulling her corpse out of the river. There's been zero buildup iirc of any of the other Starks having warg capability in the show, which is disappointing. But perhaps D&D know that nothing ever comes of those subplots (a greater disappointment if true) and subtracts their inclusions. My guess is when she is revealed in the final scene (better be), Thoros will probably rattle off a few lines about them pulling her out and Dondarion giving her the ol' red god CPR session. Hope I'm wrong!

I was really disappointed with the snow castle scene. I was hoping it would be more emotional for Sansa. I have been reading comments by "unsullied" tv-show fans and no one seems to care about that scene. :(

I agree. This is one of the best and most powerful scenes in the books. And it wasn't done justice. But neither was the scene with Cersei and Jaime in the sept. Unsullied don't know what they're missing out on. TV is nowhere as good as the real thing.

I wonder will Sansa piece together Lysa's " I lied for you, I killed for you " with Petyr's - what do we do to the ones who hurt the ones we love line and his creeping kiss.

I do think in this instence she'll back his statement up on Lysa slipping or what ever, but she ( hopefully ) uses her knowledge to ICE him.

Don't know what to make of no Giant Doll in the Winterfell scene.

The actor playing Littlefinger is so good at being a perv. :ack: Wasn't bothered by the change from "Only Cat" to "Your sister".

I just love Tyrion, loved his scenes with Jaime and with Oberyn.

Really great seeing Hotpie again. That direwolf bread was truly magnificent.

Made me sad to see the beginning of the end for Sandor.

I see Dany has some new threads. Wonder why Jorah didn't get any (new threads, that is . . . )

Pretty scary with the two sicko's, Mel and Selyse, about to make off with Shireen.

I wonder how LF is going to explain what happened to Lysa without Marillion in the plot? And no one else in the scene except Sansa and Petyr.

I disliked the Hound thinking about food and Arya being the one thinking about soldiers being ahead. Arya is the heedless one, not Sandor.

For those who wondered about Brienne and the Eyrie, she did think about going there in the books, but with snow in the Eyrie and the mountain clansmen having become better armed (by Tyrion, to harass Lysa's people) Brienne had decided not to go there. Are we going to see a major plot change again?

I'm glad they brought in the speech about Cersei showing off baby Tyrion and twisting his little weenie that got skipped over from the book scene between Oberyn and Tyrion at the welcome to King's Landing.

While it was disappointing to have Tyrion missing in this episode, it's also too bad Varys wasn't there either, since presumably he will soon disappear for a very long stretch.

I also thought the Sansa-Lysa-Petyr scenes were pushed along too quickly. And Robin isn't sickly enough. :p But he was whinny and snivelling enough.

Oh, one more thing. I thought that book Selyse did not care at all about what was going on between Mel and Stannis, since it was all For The Greater Good. The idea of her showing even an iota of jealousy is weird. And count me in as one who fears for Shireen now. :(

I liked the Dany scene. She is sliding more and more into crusader land and her crazy Targ side shows a bit and Jorah is the moral compass, more then anyone else because trusts him. The scene when he is kicked out should be quote emotional.

You think Jorah is the moral compass? That's interesting. Did you actually listen to what Jorah said? I am sure you heard it but did you listen. Jorah has his history even on the show. Jorah thinks selling slaves is ok, he has made excuses for it. He is indignant about what Ned Stark did. Slavery is one of those things that is not really grey, it's pretty black and white. Buy the Unsullied, sell slaves, it's all good if it gets him what he wants. Betray his lord, Betray his father, betray Viserys, betray Dany. Which I think this is the setup for. Jorah wants Dany and now Darrio is in the way. This will probably lead to the falling out. But a moral compass? How so?

We know from the books that Jorah got some first hand and much needed lessons in slavery and he didn't like it. In fact he seems pretty pro kill the shit out of the slavers these days. He knows he has been an idiot, that he has a problem admitting his mistakes and tends to blame everyone else. It's his wife's fault, Neds fault, the slaves fault, it is always someone else. Well at least pre get the boot Jorah. But a Moral compass? People with a moral compass do not buy and sell slaves and betray everyone around them. Jorah wanted easy money to continue to try and buy his wife's love, so he sold some poachers got busted and refused to admit what he did was wrong or take responsibility for his actions. Just like he couldn't except that selling secrets about Dany was Betraying her. I like the character but he has his issues, like the rest of them, probably why I like him. Though I guess it depends on your compass, I am sure some people think kidnapping 300 girls is morally ok or they would of never done it. And when someone puts a bullet in the kidnappers heads I am going to feel totally fine about it, I am quirky like that. To be clear I don't think you think slavery is ok, just using a real world example of something most people are rather heavily offended by. You know someone could argue maybe it's like Disney land for the 276 girls still abducted. I am more of the mind they probably would rather go home, seems the more logical thought than happy slaves who like being kidnapped, and god knows what else.

The thought that Ser Gregor would use a real sword at practice without wearing armour is ludicrous. Accidents do happen... I guess they needed their quota of nudity. And why do we get full frontals of women in the series but never of the men, just asses (although some have been very fine asses. But...)

I liked (but not loved) pretty much everything in this episode. The Snow Castle/'Only Cat' scenes weren't as good as in the book, but I wasn't expecting them to be. I liked Tyrion and Dany's scenes. Rory McCann's acting has really improved this season; the actor I saw in seasons 1-3 would never have been able to pull off that soliloquy.

Random Thoughts:

- Hot Pie Cameo!

- Lysa's line about the "blue eyes" of the dead... hmmm....

- There were no naked, nameless whores! Good job show! Mel's nudity was still gratuitous (way less plot-relevant and way more extended than Daario's), but at least she's a character that's more than a sexual object.

I wonder how LF is going to explain what happened to Lysa without Marillion in the plot? And no one else in the scene except Sansa and Petyr.

This. I didn't mind the "Only Cat" substitution at all since, while it's a great line, the adaptation was still otherwise great. But yeah, no clue how they're going to have him explain that. Unless they somehow blame Robin and accelerate my namesake :D

For those who wondered about Brienne and the Eyrie, she did think about going there in the books, but with snow in the Eyrie and the mountain clansmen having become better armed (by Tyrion, to harass Lysa's people) Brienne had decided not to go there. Are we going to see a major plot change again?

Saltpans and Maidenpool are both on the way there. I think it's pretty likely that D&D substitute Rorge/Biter with the BWB or random hooligans since Gwendoline Christie (SP?) confirmed in an interview earlier this year she bites someone's ear off. It's likely to be the BWB so they fight and then her and Pod are captured, thus (hopefully) ensuring LS to end the season.

Just noticed on re-watch that some (not all) of Ser Gregor's work with the two-handed sword was done with only one hand.

Hooray!

Yiss. I kinda like him actually.

I was ok with Mel bearing all because, she really was bearing all. Literally and metaphorically. Selyse felt enraptured because Mel is so awesome to her, but also envious and Mel picks up on that. That whole scene was two women laying bear a great deal. Selyse all but admits she felt a twinge of something when Mel and Stannis got bizzay. She kept telling herself it was for the greater good and for R'hllor and there was no sin involved. But she feels inadequate and Mel tries in her bizarre way, to comfort Selyse and ease her worries by telling her even she can have power if she just looks into the flames. Its almost touching. Until theres the foreboding about Shireen...