How would you rate episode 407?

Ran

How would you rate epsiode 407?  

642 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I thought so too.

Yeah, she looks like she's still close to the door but also tiny. Not only is it less than what I've come to expect in terms of effects, but I went back and watched Tyrion's Vale trial from the FIRST season, and when Bronn made Vardis fly it definitely looked a lot better, which makes it even more puzzling.

Liked:

Tyrion's three visitors.

Brienne and Pod.

The Hound discussing his backstory.

The Eyrie scenes (a pass mark, didn't nail it completely but wasn't butchered).

Hot Pie!

Naked Melisandre :drool:

Disliked:

No 'Only Cat' (I realise it's not a big deal but I was expecting the line and the change almost took me out of the moment).

Dany's scenes continue to fall flat.

7. Almost the entire Hound and Arya speech with the old man was terrible. And the way Biter just appeared out of nowhere to bite the Hound, strange out of a cheesy zombie movie, or tv show (Walking Dead). Jorah's speech about good and evil was equally cringe worthy, though I liked Dany's scenes overall. Kingslanding was good as usually. Glad they kept Bronn's speech with Tyrion and his line about killing Gregor himself.

Also, have they even called Oberyn the Viper yet? Strange since the name is in the title of the next episode.

I can't believe they didn't have him do "Only Cat"

Just doesn't leave the lasting effect that only Cat did.

It was an episode that obviously didn't have too much action which is totally fine. There wasn't a scene that I really rolled my eyes at or thought sucked. The Tyrion/Oberyn and LF/Sansa/Lysa scenes were picture perfect IMO. I can see that there is backlash because the exact quote before Lysa is thrown out the moon door isn't word for word. Doesn't bother me all that much. "Only Cat" vs "Your sister"? Is it that big of an issue?

I agree with this assessment pretty much, one of my favorite episodes of the season so far . There wasn't any scene that I hated and ruined the episode for me. The Tyrion/Oberyn and Littlefinger/ Sansa/ Lysa scenes were great and well acted.

I assumed they changed the "Only Cat" quote because their worried show viewers might not realize who Cat is when he says it so the viewers won't feel that oh shit that poor ugly sister moment before he killed Lysa.

It was clearly very rushed. It was a heartfelt emotional moment in the books that let you feel for her as she was building Winterfell. That she was going over every detail, spending all morning making it, thinking of all the memories. Then getting frustrated because she couldn't get just right, which is when Petyr showed up to help her. In the show, she walks out into the snow, and then we cut to where the castle's already made. What kind of unemotional robot would decide to make that cut? Can we go 10 seconds in this show without dialogue? They stripped the heart from that scene.

Now I do appreciate that it was in there at all even for a handful of rushed seconds but it wasn't even a fraction of what I wanted.

Wow, the scene would play exactly the same if she had 10 seconds of frustration in not getting a tower right. Exactly the same. And every bit of the heart of the scene is there. Not sure what you could possibly want, they cannot visualize every internal thought she has during that chapter, but the very essence of the scene is there. I actually thought it was one of the Top 5 scenes in the entire show that felt like the books and jumping right from the page. I thought it was shockingly faithful in plot and tone.

My ONLY criticism of this episode was that I wanted more time with Sansa and Snow Winterfell. I thought that went by a little to quickly. Apart from that, great episode. I've always been a Stark bannerman, but I'm feeling good that Sansa's storyline is getting some steam. Yeah.... team Sansa!

The North Remembers!♥

I agree with this assessment pretty much, one of my favorite episodes of the season so far . There wasn't any scene that I hated and ruined the episode for me. The Tyrion/Oberyn and Littlefinger/ Sansa/ Lysa scenes were great and well acted.

I assumed they changed the "Only Cat" quote because their worried show viewers might not realize who Cat is when he says it so the viewers won't feel that oh shit that poor ugly sister moment before he killed Lysa.

Yeah the reasoning is probably correct, but I think in that respect the show made a mistake - even my mom knows Cat (and she rarely remembers anyones name).. just the other day she texted me asking "isn't that Cat from Game of Thrones??" while watching the new 24..

Great

-Dany/Jorah: perfect, perfect, perfect

-Dragonstone: Nice to humanize Melisandre and Carice looks really good naked

-Brienne and Podrick and, the nice surprise, HOT PIE!

-Arya's second scene: great character moment for the Hound

-Tyrion/Bronn: Surprised that a D&D-written scene was adapted from the novel nearly word-for-word

-Tyrion/Oberyn: Simply amazing

-All of Sansa's scenes

Okay

-Tyrion/Jaime: was necessary, but didn't wow

-Cersei/Mountain: cheesy, but effective, I suppose

-Jon vs. Alliser

-Dany/Daario

-Arya first scene

Bad

-Just nitpicks: Lysa falling out looked silly, Rorge standing around was stupid

9/10

Best episode of the season thus far

Wow, the scene would play exactly the same if she had 10 seconds of frustration in not getting a tower right. Exactly the same. And every bit of the heart of the scene is there. Not sure what you could possibly want, they cannot visualize every internal thought she has during that chapter, but the very essence of the scene is there. I actually thought it was one of the Top 5 scenes in the entire show that felt like the books and jumping right from the page. I thought it was shockingly faithful in plot and tone.

Yeah, the scene would have been the same if they added 10 seconds of frustration. Because that would mean they only devoted 15 seconds to the scene before the dialogue came in, so it would still be extremely rushed. Now if they actually spent some time showing her building the castle, then it wouldn't be the same. How on earth can you say you're not sure what I could possibly want when I just told you? I wanted more than 10 seconds of her in the snow without dialogue. I wanted the audience to spend time with her as she's building the castle thinking about the emotions that she must be experiencing as she's building it. Give them some time to feel (not just understand, but feel) how badly she is missing Winterfell. The show didn't even give people a chance to process it before Robin came in and started talking. Non-book readers don't know that she spent all morning building it or how much it meant for it to be as perfect to her memories as possible.

The building of the castle was a powerful heartfelt scene in the books. No dialogue at all is needed. People could figure out what was going through her head.

Edited by Lothar

8. I didn't think the Eyrie scene was that great. The kiss seemed almost consensual - she didn't even push him away for a whole ten seconds! The effect of Lysa going out the moon door was surprisingly bad. I missed hearing "only Cat," but that might just be because I've been reading this forum with people going on about it so much. Overall, the scene just wasn't very epic. I wanted it to be my favourite scene of the episode, but that honour has to go to Tyrion/Oberyn, which was fantastic.

Edited by Dragonglass Order