[book spoilers] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions.

WinterKing

I had to come here when I saw this thread because I want to mention something where it seems the show runners lost some of the impact surrounding how much Ptyr and Lysa did to start the war. My unsullied mom and sister liked this episode and saw the push coming, but when I asked them if they understood what Lysa did for Petyr, they weren't sure. They knew she killed for him but that's it. I had to explain about Jon Arryn and starting all the Stark Lannister hostility. I tjink the show messed up by having Lysa reveal that info a few episodes back in a whisper to Petyr that most people missed.

That reveal was always going to be problematic because it's about a character who was dead when they began the show and who has rarely been mentioned again since. Martin generally has this problem with holding off on closing off mysteries until way past the point where they matter (or the audience still cared about them).

The hubby thought for sure that Bronn would be Tyrion's champion. He couldn't think of anyone else that would champion Tyrion. This just proves to me how D & D fail at providing enough backstory, although they did include mention of it when Oberyn spoke with Tyrion. Have they even mentioned Oberyn's gifts with poison or why he is called the Red Vyper?

They could not have mentioned the Elia / Mountain story more if they just had text of what happened scrolling over the entire episode.

The hubby thought for sure that Bronn would be Tyrion's champion. He couldn't think of anyone else that would champion Tyrion. This just proves to me how D & D fail at providing enough backstory, although they did include mention of it when Oberyn spoke with Tyrion. Have they even mentioned Oberyn's gifts with poison or why he is called the Red Vyper?

Lol, this doesn't prove anything. A lot of people were speculating about Oberyn being his option. There was an equal distribution of Jaime, Bronn and Oberyn predictions from the Unsullied.

Lol, this doesn't prove anything. A lot of people were speculating about Oberyn being his option. There was an equal distribution of Jaime, Bronn and Oberyn predictions from the Unsullied.

No, it doesn't prove anything. But, the hubby knew that Jaime couldn't fight with his left hand, and Bronn would get his ass kicked by the Mountain. He couldn't think of anyone left to fight. D &D really didn't go into why Oberyn is so deadly, nor have we seen him fight at all in the show.

No, it doesn't prove anything. But, the hubby knew that Jaime couldn't fight with his left hand, and Bronn would get his ass kicked by the Mountain. He couldn't think of anyone left to fight. D &D really didn't go into why Oberyn is so deadly, nor have we seen him fight at all in the show.

Did the books show Oberyn fighting before the duel? Why do we need this? It's established that he's dangerous and it's cooler that the first time we see him fight is in the duel because his fighting style is so unique from other knights in Westeros.

They mention at least 3 times how he is a great warrior, feared through all the seven kingdoms, they explicitly create a scene to mention he knows about poisons, and he tells the story of how the Mountain raped and killed Elia and her childrens every fucking time he's on screen, we actually had a lot more of Oberyn in the show than in the books.

If it proves anything is that some people doesn't pay attention at all, and those people are not of D&D concern, there's a limit of how much they can dumb down the show for the very casual viewer.

They mention at least 3 times how he is a great warrior, feared through all the seven kingdoms, they explicitly create a scene to mention he knows about poisons, and he tells the story of how the Mountain raped and killed Elia and her childrens every fucking time he's on screen, we actually had a lot more of Oberyn in the show than in the books.

If it proves anything is that some people doesn't pay attention at all, and those people are not of D&D concern, there's a limit of how much they can dumb down the show for the very casual viewer.

Lol, okay. Enough said. I'll have to rewatch to make a note of when they mention he's a warrior. It's just sad that they sure as fuck make it known that he's promiscuous at every opportunity available. The very casual viewer can't deny that. The rest is questionable. I'll take another look, though.

Did the books show Oberyn fighting before the duel? Why do we need this? It's established that he's dangerous and it's cooler that the first time we see him fight is in the duel because his fighting style is so unique from other knights in Westeros.

Of course it didn't. The backstory is there, though, in detail. In the books, we know Oberyn well. In the show, I can understand why viewers might be confused.

I know many people who thought Oberyn is one of the possible champions. They really mentioned a lot how he hates the Mountain and the Lannisters. There were less people who thought that the Mountain will fight for the queen tbh. They mentioned Oberyn's knowledge of poisons, and if the scene with two Lannister soldiers didn't show that he means business and he is dangerous, I don't know what would. +They also mentioned that Dorne was the only place which stood against Targs and the dragons in the first conquest. So it was implied heavily that Dornish people are great warriors. They could use some of the scenes they've shown with Oberyn in brothel to maybe say how he was in the Second Sons or smth.

So if your husband didn't think Bronn had any chance, why would he think that Oberyn will have a chance if they explained some more how he was a great fighter? I thought it was established that Bronn is a great fighter also (and a smart fighter who doesn't give a crap about honor), it's just that he would have to face the Mountain. So not sure why some unsullied would think that Bronn doesn't have a chance but Oberyn has it?

I know many people who thought Oberyn is one of the possible champions. They really mentioned a lot how he hates the Mountain and the Lannisters. There were less people who thought that the Mountain will fight for the queen tbh. They mentioned Oberyn's knowledge of poisons, and if the scene with two Lannister soldiers didn't show that he means business and he is dangerous, I don't know what would. +They also mentioned that Dorne was the only place which stood against Targs and the dragons in the first conquest. So it was implied heavily that Dornish people are great warriors. They could use some of the scenes they've shown with Oberyn in brothel to maybe say how he was in the Second Sons or smth.

So if your husband didn't think Bronn had any chance, why would he think that Oberyn will have a chance if they explained some more how he was a great fighter? I thought it was established that Bronn is a great fighter also (and a smart fighter who doesn't give a crap about honor), it's just that he would have to face the Mountain. So not sure why some unsullied would think that Bronn doesn't have a chance but Oberyn has it?

He didn't think Oberyn had a chance because he didn't even realize that Oberyn was a fighter. If there was more backstory mentioned, like his time with The Second Sons, then maybe the hubby would have thought of him. I don't know! I was just sharing what the hubby said.

He thought that Bronn would fight for Tyrion, but would not fare well against The Mountain. Anyone else, yes, but not The Mountain. And yes, he didn't even think of The Mountain as an option to fight for the Queen, but when it was revealed, he had no idea who would fight him.

One of my unsullied friend, who is a careful watcher, knew Oberyn would champion tyrion and he is obsessed with Oberyn. He thinks he will the fight and tyrion will be free. I could only look at his face and laugh :p The show has portrayed very carefully that Oberyn is a warrior and is a good warrior. I think your hubby needs to rewatch the episodes to grasp Oberyn's character.

i told another friend of mine that you thought ned stark wont die but he did, you thought robb stark wont die but he did, so do you think tyrion wont die? and she was like if that little guy dies then I will stop watching the show :P hahaha..i want to see her reaction when the next episode airs. It will be awesome.

One of my unsullied friend, who is a careful watcher, knew Oberyn would champion tyrion and he is obsessed with Oberyn. He thinks he will the fight and tyrion will be free. I could only look at his face and laugh :p The show has portrayed very carefully that Oberyn is a warrior and is a good warrior. I think your hubby needs to rewatch the episodes to grasp Oberyn's character.

i told another friend of mine that you thought ned stark wont die but he did, you thought robb stark wont die but he did, so do you think tyrion wont die? and she was like if that little guy dies then I will stop watching the show :P hahaha..i want to see her reaction when the next episode airs. It will be awesome.

Haha, that's awesome! Yeah, it will be fun. :) The hubby decided to watch the entire show from season one to better grasp things that are happening. Doing so helped him understand Lysa and Petyr's role more, plus a few other things, like connecting the two Mormonts, etc. So, yeah, I hope it all makes more sense to him by the time he gets to season 4 again. He HAS predicted that both the Mountain and Oberyn die. I don't know how. I give him a skeptical look and to not be a cheater, haha.

My manager finally understands why I love Littlefinger so much after this episode. As I said to her, he killed (or had a hand in killing) two of the most horrible, unlike-able characters in the series. What's not to love?

I think she's fully converted now.

She is also convinced Oberyn will win because Tyrion "can't die".

My mother thinks Tyrion will go to the Vale to rescue Sansa (because he'll find out she's there somehow) and he'll plot against his father.

Wrong on the first one, she has no idea how close she is on the second one :D

Archived