Mel's missing ruby and Shireen's fate

The Old Tongue

First of all, a major goof by depicting Mel without her ruby. I'm wondering if this was an oversight by the director or if mayhaps the producers are of the knowledge that the ruby is a trick like those at her shelf.

I'm also a little ticked off at how blatant the show is at suggesting the fate of Stannis' daughter. I don't remember it being so obvious in the book.

What is obvious though? Sure, it sounded kind of ominous, but they didn't say specifically what it was, so it could be many things. We know for certain she's instrumental to the whole plot now though...

First of all, a major goof by depicting Mel without her ruby. I'm wondering if this was an oversight by the director or if mayhaps the producers are of the knowledge that the ruby is a trick like those at her shelf.

I'm also a little ticked off at how blatant the show is at suggesting the fate of Stannis' daughter. I don't remember it being so obvious in the book.

I personally don't think that this proves one way or another what the ultimate fate of Shireen will be in the books. It has always been known that Melisandre was out for King's blood, and that Stanis loves his daughter enough to not sacrifice her.

No, it was no where near that obvious. I cringe when the show does that because even though I really enjoy the show, I want to read it first. The show is going to bypass the books & I'm just not sure how I feel about that...

Is there ever a scene in the books where she's not wearing the ruby? Or taking a bath? That seems rather human of someone who is never sleeps or shown eating.

No. But she does eat in the books, not because she needs to, just not to freak people out.

I personally don't think that this proves one way or another what the ultimate fate of Shireen will be in the books. It has always been known that Melisandre was out for King's blood, and that Stanis loves his daughter enough to not sacrifice her.

Oh I think the show made it pretty clear. Mel is going to burn Shireen. How else could you take that scene? It's only been theorized by book readers until now.

Oh I think the show made it pretty clear. Mel is going to burn Shireen. How else could you take that scene? It's only been theorized by book readers until now.

Imo no. And also, it could be a red herring as I doubt they'd just give such a major spoiler away and ruin it. It just implied Shireen is instrumental going forward.

I think what was made clear is that Melisandre wants to burn Shireen as part of her plan... I took the same interpretation from the books as she has kings blood. I don't think that Stanis will allow that in either book or show.

Imo no. And also, it could be a red herring as I doubt they'd just give such a major spoiler away and ruin it. It just implied Shireen is instrumental going forward.

She told her to look into the fire, told her about sacrificing people, told her to do what's necessary (that there are no sins in service to The Lord), and told her to bring Shireen. How is that not clear?

Whether it happens it not remains to be seen but she definitely wants to burn her.

Well Mel said something to Selyse like you are strong enough to see the truth no matter how harsh & that the lord of light will need Shireen. With the whole power in Kings blood thing it seems pretty obvious to me. Could be a red herring though, hope it is. I think they would most definitely give away a major spoiler but I hope they didn't.

Ill seriously bawl my eyes out if Shireen gets burned. Im not even joking.

I did like the scene and i actually didnt notice the ruby was missing. Oh well. The scene was interesting because Selyse is both enraptured and envious of Mel. The scene with the two women was very cool and had Mel explaining her tricks. Selyse was like "i wish i was her. I wish...then Stannis would want me..." Its oddly emotional and Mel was trying to comfort Selyse in her...weird way. Mel is kinda detached from human emotions. Its a cool scene. But im so afraid for Shireen. :(

She told her to look into the fire, told her about sacrificing people, told her to do what's necessary (that there are no sins in service to The Lord), and told her to bring Shireen. How is that not clear?

Whether it happens it not remains to be seen but she definitely wants to burn her.

Yes, that's what I meant. It might be her intention, but isn't a spoiler per se as it's to be seen whether it happens or not.

I think what was made clear is that Melisandre wants to burn Shireen as part of her plan... I took the same interpretation from the books as she has kings blood. I don't think that Stanis will allow that in either book or show.

What if Stannis does? That could be his turning point. He's following the prophecy like its a checklist instead of forging his own path.

I haven't read them in awhile but I don't remember it being so in your face in the book. Like it was something I caught on my 2nd read or after thinking about it a bit. Here it was like Oh Mel wants to burn Shireen.

I think you are correct though: Stannis won't allow her to do it. if he is around to stop it. We know that there is a point where Stannis isn't around & poor Shireen is left with Crazy Mel & crazier Selyse

That's a massive assumption. The only thing I took from that scene is that Shireen is going to be very important. I thought it might be a hint that she will become queen in the end.

TBH, R'hllor also needed Gendry and he's alive. We all think she's going to burn her but maybe

WOW SPOILER

They all hear that Stannis died and they need Shireen to crown her

Unfortunately it feels like the burning of Shireen is imminent now. I hope that I'm wrong but now I'm actually expecting it rather than simply thinking there is an outside possibility.

Archived