Mel's missing ruby and Shireen's fate

The Old Tongue

What if Stannis does? That could be his turning point. He's following the prophecy like its a checklist instead of forging his own path.

I'm not sure about that. The show kind of set up his love for Shireen as his only redeemable quality. I think it's more likely he'll go beserker if he returns to the wall and finds out his daughter has been burned.

What if Stannis does? That could be his turning point. He's following the prophecy like its a checklist instead of forging his own path.

At least in the show, there is no way that Stannis would allow that. He would rather kill Selyse instead.

And in books, he thinks of her as his heir.

At least in the show, there is no way that Stannis would allow that. He would rather kill Selyse instead.

And in books, he thinks of her as his heir.

This. The trouble is that she's alone with Mel and Selyse afterwards...

Unfortunately it feels like the burning of Shireen is imminent now. I hope that I'm wrong but now I'm actually expecting it rather than simply thinking there is an outside possibility.

:agree: that's what I mean. In the books you think "Oh man what if Mel wants to burn Shireen?!" "I think Mel might end up burning Shireen" the show just made it "Mel wants to burn Shireen"

Whether it ends up happening or not is another story.

Theon and Asha have king's blood.

And so does Axell, Selyse, and Gerrick Kingsblood and his three daughters (and, as far as Mel knows, Gilly's son)

I agree with JonCon's Red Beard. Mel knows she'll need to crown Shireen in the case of Stannis' real or feigned death if she wants to maintain her authority

I'm calling it, Stannis will stand up to Melisandre and prevent Shireen from being burnt. This along with what will be some awesome scenes in episodes 9-10 should get the TV audience on the side of Stannis the Mannis.

On the contrary if Stannis actually does let Shireen get burnt then I will completely give up on show Stannis and join in on the character assasination chants on these boards.

Killing her is too obvious. It's possible, of course, as the show isn't renown for subtlety. Other death option is that Shireen is the real Nissa Nissa, whom Stannis will need to kill to forge a real Lightbringer.

Or, someone else said, Melissandre saw Stannis' death and Shireen is needed as his heir. Then again, if Melissandre believes Stannis is Azor Ahai Reborn and saw his death :dunno:

That's a massive assumption. The only thing I took from that scene is that Shireen is going to be very important. I thought it might be a hint that she will become queen in the end.

I agree. All that scene really says is that Shireen is important somehow. In the show at least. We have no idea how that will play out in the books at all.

People are using book insight and assuming that the show has spoiled something. I don't think so, the show has just stayed in line with the books and kept Shireen in the action. It's not confirmation of anything except that she's important to the story, but it's interesting to see everybody treat this as validation for fan theories that the books haven't confirmed yet.

Sigh...

do people not remember the AA story?

If anything happens to stannis' daughter it will be because he drove a sword through her light to mak elight bringer real

Per the story.

AA had to drive the sword through the heart of the woman he loved most, his wife, in order to make light bringer.

However, as i think mel is following the wrong course from what the flame says, Shireen will be alright in the end.

I just left a comment on the reactions thread to the same effect.

I'm glad you started this thread, Old Tongue, because I was going to.

I'm really disappointed that the show is NOT going with one of my favourite theories on the forum; that Mel is actually either a very old woman or even a re-animated corpse like Beric or LSH, or the wights.

I'm gonna miss my UnMel. :bawl:

I just left a comment on the reactions thread to the same effect.

I'm glad you started this thread, Old Tongue, because I was going to.

I'm really disappointed that the show is NOT going with one of my favourite theories on the forum; that Mel is actually either a very old woman or even a re-animated corpse like Beric or LSH, or the wights.

I'm gonna miss my UnMel. :bawl:

How did that scene disprove any theories? I thought that scene had some very interesting lines about what seems plain and obvious is anything but.

People are using book insight and assuming that the show has spoiled something. I don't think so, the show has just stayed in line with the books and kept Shireen in the action. It's not confirmation of anything except that she's important to the story, but it's interesting to see everybody treat this as validation for fan theories that the books haven't confirmed yet.

Apparently that's pretty common around here. The "Night's King" turned a baby into an Other/White Walker. "OMG! They just spoiled TWOW!" Uh, no they didn't. They invented a scene to keep the threat of the WW present on the show. They pretty much said exactly that in the "Inside the Episode" with the showrunners. We have no idea if that's a book spoiler or not. Conspiracy theories are more fun, though.

It's a bit irksome because the show's canon is intentionally different. Just because the show does something it doesn't mean it'll happen in the books. Shireen may become important in the books. Or she may not. It's entirely possible they'll be using Shireen in place of another character that hasn't been introduced on the show. Or they simply made a big deal about bringing Shireen to explain why Stannis would bring his daughter to war with him, something that doesn't need explaining in the books but might need clarifying on the show.

How did that scene disprove any theories? I thought that scene had some very interesting lines about what seems plain and obvious is anything but.

The lack of a ruby supposedly "disproves" that Melisandre is glamored all the time. But that's assuming that 1) glamors require a ruby in the show and 2) they're even going that route at all. Even if Melisandre is always glamored in the books, there's no reason they need to do that in the show at all.

Archived