Mel's missing ruby and Shireen's fate

The Old Tongue

She told her to look into the fire, told her about sacrificing people, told her to do what's necessary (that there are no sins in service to The Lord), and told her to bring Shireen. How is that not clear?

Whether it happens it not remains to be seen but she definitely wants to burn her.

I agree. Also, remember her speech to Shireen about how there is only one hell? And her speech about how none of the lambs she slaughtered ever saw the blade? Poor Shireen... I am expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

I did like the scene and i actually didnt notice the ruby was missing. Oh well. The scene was interesting because Selyse is both enraptured and envious of Mel. The scene with the two women was very cool and had Mel explaining her tricks. Selyse was like "i wish i was her. I wish...then Stannis would want me..." Its oddly emotional and Mel was trying to comfort Selyse in her...weird way. Mel is kinda detached from human emotions. Its a cool scene. But im so afraid for Shireen. :(

This. Selyse is one of those characters who greatly profits from having a POV in the show (I find her infinitely more fascinating than book Selyse). And the actress playing her is amazing. I love the dynamic between Selyse and Mel in the show. Absolutely gorgeous.

I think you are correct though: Stannis won't allow her to do it. if he is around to stop it. We know that there is a point where Stannis isn't around & poor Shireen is left with Crazy Mel & crazier Selyse

Agreed. Stannis has made it very clear that he loves his family, even if they are nowhere near perfect (crazy wife, grey-scaled daughter). He would never burn Shireen, but it won't be his choice. Here's how I think it will go down (in broad strokes):

1) Stannis + Co. go to the Wall.

2) Stannis leaves for Winterfell.

3) pink letter

4) Mel convinces Selyse to offer Shireen to the red god.

5) Stannis reaction (will be heartbreaking)

Ugh. This has me torn.

If Shireen burns in the show, it's bound to feel like the character assassination of Mel was taken up to 11.

But it would also almost have to happen before TWOW is published. In which case, we might see it happen in the book. I wouldn't know how to feel then.

Probably come down to nuances...

Davos is also going to the Wall with Stamnis & company, does anyone really think after freeing Gendry he'd let Mel burn Shireen?

Personally, I can't believe Selyse or Stannis would allow the sacrifice of their only child. It would likely be the very thing to make them doubt her. As already said by others, in the books Shireen is Stannis's heir. So there's no way they're killing her. Much of what Stannis is doing is for her, in his mind at least.

My guess is I think this is a set up for Shireen to go with Davos to Manderly's at White Harbor and on to Skagos to look for RS in S5.

Wonder what was up with that stuff she put in the water. Seemed like everything else on that shelf had something to do with mind alterations. Unless that came from a different shelf, I was uhh ...distracted.

I was thinking about that. Perhaps it was nothing, just an act. She tells selyse right after that most of her potions and powders are merely tricks.

It seems they still may go the undead route with her. Mel may have Selyse so entranced that glamours aren't necessary and that little reaction in the bath was to test/play with the control she has over her.

Exploring the theory of Mel as some sort of Other: there was a face to face shot of Mel and selyse where Mel's face was a cold blue. Wonder if that was deliberate.

Remember that potion she told Selyse to bring her, and dropped it in her bath? That was probably glamour.

Also, I was surprised to hear Mel wanting to sacrifice Shireen. I didn't assume it at all in the books. I mean, I do remember Val saying something about the child being cursed by death, but nothing that Mel would do. And I don't think she would do it without Stannis' permission (unless she has seen in her fires that Stannis will die, and do it afterwards). He would certainly not allow it.

Guys I think that whole bit is about needing Shireen to crown in case Stannis bites the dust. Of course it may turn out that some kingsblood is needed to revive a certain bastard, but I don't think that is what Mel is referring to here.

Guys I think that whole bit is about needing Shireen to crown in case Stannis bites the dust. Of course it may turn out that some kingsblood is needed to revive a certain bastard, but I don't think that is what Mel is referring to here.

That could be too.

I mean, I'm also worried about Shireen and probably they wanted to hint us to believe she's in danger, but then, why bothering to crown Stannis if he won't have more heirs? R'hllor won't make him immortal.

They're planning on burning Shireen I think. A sacrifice, perhaps to make Stannis immortal, or some other power that The Red God can grant him. That'll be a true test of character for Stannis, though I think they've set up his refusal for such an incident earlier this season. Perhaps he'll conspire with Jon to send Shireen with Sam and Gilly?

I think the show writers are really good at trolling us. Really good. They've done it before - they know the large percentage of their audience who are devout book followers - they're always pushing the limits.

Troll: "Lets make them think we're going to sacrifice Shireen but not come right out and say so, that will drive 'em crazy!"

;)

And no, I don't think Shireen is on George's short list and not on the show's either.

Yes and I said that I think in the HBO version Davos takes Shireen with him. I think Davos persuades Stannis she is not safe with Mel & Selyse.

That would make sense. Although it would create some big ripples in Davos's arc. That's the only real issue I see with that. Not that it's stopped them before.

The scene was interesting because Selyse is both enraptured and envious of Mel. The scene with the two women was very cool and had Mel explaining her tricks. Selyse was like "i wish i was her. I wish...then Stannis would want me..." Its oddly emotional and Mel was trying to comfort Selyse in her...weird way.

I liked the scene but I got a different vibe from it.

Selyse has her concerns about, well... Stannis and Mel laying together ... but she allows it for the greater good of Rhillor, etc.

However, some of the looks Selyse was giving naked Melisandre that Selyse is a lesbian (or bi at least), and really in enraptured in that way by Melisandre.

I'm calling it, Stannis will stand up to Melisandre and prevent Shireen from being burnt. This along with what will be some awesome scenes in episodes 9-10 should get the TV audience on the side of Stannis the Mannis.

On the contrary if Stannis actually does let Shireen get burnt then I will completely give up on show Stannis and join in on the character assasination chants on these boards.

Stannis allowing Shireen to be burned would go far beyond character assasination. That would be full on character apocalypse -- the most absurd change from the books the show would ever have done. Can't fathom it would happen. Especially given his insistence in the dinner table scene that Selyse isn't even to strike her.

Guys, they change stuff around, but not the main plot. They've proved it times and times again, eventually the main story always stays unaltered. Shireen will stay with Selyse and Mel once Davos and Stannis leave, and the show wants the audience to believe she might be in danger... Whether that's the case, a red herring or whether anything bad happens to Shireen or doesn't, is a different matter. But they never dramatically change plots, neither the show is its own canon.

I liked the scene but I got a different vibe from it.

Selyse has her concerns about, well... Stannis and Mel laying together ... but she allows it for the greater good of Rhillor, etc.

However, some of the looks Selyse was giving naked Melisandre that Selyse is a lesbian (or bi at least), and really in enraptured in that way by Melisandre.

Nah, you can look at it that way if you want to be titillated by it, but tbh it was all about Stannis. Selyse was squaring up Melisandre because Stannis wants her, and she was wondering what is that Mel has that she doesn't. That's why she immediately asks whether she used a potion on him, and is hurt when she says she did not. It was a bit of jealousy, not lesbian undertones.

Archived