[BOOK SPOILERS] Oberyn appreciation...you are my champion.

timstanton

Pedro Pascal was wonderful in this scene.

He uses black blood elsewhere for fatal wounds: Khal Drogo, the man Ygritte killed, UnCat, the Ironborn Theon killed. Also Drogon's wound. Brienne's angst pouring out "like black blood from a wound" to the Elder Brother. Black blood ain't good.

Of course, the brutal death of the Obester did mean one thing in compensation...Gregor screaming for a fortnight through head to toe black gangrene, with visible guts rotting and even his penis decomposing, before being handed over to Qyburn to get dissected alive. :)

Huh? I know that leeched dropped off him, killed by his blood but I certainly don't recall that part ...?

will they use that line? I don't think I've ever heard the targaryen words in the show

the season 1 finale was called Fire and Blood

Dany has said the words herself. IIRC it was when the fat spice king in Qarth turned her down (the one who was standing on the stairs while making her holler up at him)

Pedro Pascal was wonderful in this scene.

He uses black blood elsewhere for fatal wounds: Khal Drogo, the man Ygritte killed, UnCat, the Ironborn Theon killed. Also Drogon's wound. Brienne's angst pouring out "like black blood from a wound" to the Elder Brother. Black blood ain't good.

Nice catch. I've never noticed this.

Yes, Pedro Pascal makes an excellent showOberyn.

I never liked book Oberyn because of his first duel. He fucked another man's wife, and even though he knew the duel would be fought only to first blood because of his youth he still poisoned his blade to kill the other, totally innocent guy who was fair enough to fight with a clean blade. A total and utter dick move in my eyes.

I was more troubled about the way he forced the mothers of his daughters to relinquish their parenthood so he could press them into martial training, whether anyone else wanted this or not. Thing is, Oberyn is meant to be a bit dickish: if you have a character who's ultimately heroic and has a moral compass in spite of some despicable behaviour, they are more relatably human to the averagely moral-compassed reader than someone who's completely morally white.

I disbelieve that Oberyn, a man who clearly enjoyed his life and had actual affection for Tyrion, would have thrown the fight on purpose in order to die horribly, in order to make sure that Gregor died a more painful death. It would have meant sacrificing Tyrion, which Oberyn would not have done, because he'd been honourable to the Martells in making Myrcella their ward to force the point across to Tywin that he had to kill Gregor, and others, to deliver justice. Tyrion knew his father had been implicated in Elia's death, or at least suspected it, and had already sent Sunspear a missive whose repercussions meant retaliation on the Lannisters if they reneged on their deal once Tyrion was no longer King's Hand. Hence, Tyrion was known to Sunspear as an honourable man. I doubt that Oberyn would have sacrificed him to his cause if his design had been to lose the fight and thus instigate a war against the Lannisters. The poison was a payback if he lost, because he was confident he'd at least wound Gregor, nothing more. But he knew wresting a confession from him might implicate others, so he screwed up by standing too close to Gregor while he was doing so. He should have stood at a further distance, or used Gregor's sword to first lop off his hands or arms.

and more importantly, Oberyn knew that if he died fighting Gregor, he would lose the chance to kill Tywin (a far bigger fish, since Book Oberyn had a strong suspicion that Tywin ordered Elia raped and murdered as revenge for marrying Rhaegar when Cersei didn't get the chance).

and more importantly, Oberyn knew that if he died fighting Gregor, he would lose the chance to kill Tywin (a far bigger fish, since Book Oberyn had a strong suspicion that Tywin ordered Elia raped and murdered as revenge for marrying Rhaegar when Cersei didn't get the chance).

Unless he already knew he had poisoned Tywin in an eventually fatal way.

Hey, I found this info about Pedro Pascal on reddit with AMA or something like that, LOL and thought I would post the link for anyone who hasn't found out about it or read it. Pedro and Oberyn, Champions Both!!

ETA: My linking sucks, LOL, google Pedro Pascal/Reddit, you'll find it.

Thanks, I'm having a hard time with links lately, not sure if it's my new computer, a browser issue, or what.

Oh, Pedro IS my champion........for the Capn Crunch love alone. :wub:

I have to laugh when I think about what must have happened immediately after this scene. Oberyn realizes he had no reason to pick up the torch, so he'd be all "I'll just put this back..."

Oberyn entered the cell with that torch. He was on his way out. He picked it up to bring it with.

Archived