[BOOK SPOILERS] Oberyn appreciation...you are my champion.

timstanton

For me, it's far worse than the Red Wedding.

Me too. I was looking forward to seeing how they'd do the Red Wedding, and when watching "Rains of Castermere" I was somewhat surprised to feel a pit developing in my stomach at around the 40 minute mark of that episode - "Oh weird," I thought, "I guess I'm kind of nervous about seeing this."

But Oberyn? That pit has been in my stomach for a week or so already. In the jail scene with Tyrion, part of me was wishing Oberyn wouldn't volunteer. (And when you think about it, what would YOU find more fun to read? A bunch more chapters with Oberyn in them, or the post-Storm of Swords Tyrion chapters that we've got?)

I'm pretty certain it will be just like the books. They've teased it in a photoshoot with Pedro and Lena, and foreshadowed it during the tavern brawl in Two Swords.

What photoshoot? How was it foreshadowed in the tavern brawl? Did I miss something? You've got me terribly intrigued! Don't leave me hanging!!!

What photoshoot? How was it foreshadowed in the tavern brawl? Did I miss something? You've got me terribly intrigued! Don't leave me hanging!!!

Photoshoot, I don't know, Tavern brawl: Sandor wrestles with the guy on the ground, clenches his hand around the face, and stabs him a few times in the face. Or something like that. I don't recall clearly. Not too far off how Oberyn dies in the books.

And to think his casting announcement was met with such outrage.

Yeah, this is proof that Nina Gold & co. get it right far more often than not.

It was a powerful scene that could have been played a number of ways. Pascal got it just exactly right.

Whenever I think about the moment when he dies in that cruel way , I get immediately sad :( . Just imagine his destroyed face :((

If I recall correctly , it was also said by one of the staff that one of this season's deaths is going to be super cruel , so much that HBO actually didn't let all of it be included in its episode(that would be Oberyn imo) .

Just one thing : Do you think that they'll change The Mountain's death manner ? Is it possible for him to die on the battlefield right after killing Oberyn ? because otherwise they'll either have to inform us of his death in the same episode(which is unlikely coz I think episode 8 will end with the duel) or make him die in episode 9(which is also unlikely because of all the stuff that are going to happen in that episode)

I JUST HOPE THAT THE MOUNTAIN DIES THERE SO EVERYONE SEES HIS DEATH AT THE HANDS OF PRINCE OBERYN :(

I think Oberyn dies differently in the show. Remember in the books Ser Gregor smashes his head in like a sledge hammer to a melon. But Oberyn mentioned that Ser Gregor used his sword to cut his sister in half. I think that is how he finishes Oberyn on the show.

I like this Mountain more than the NBA looking guy from Season 2. Even though this guy is over a foot shorter than the book Ser Gregor he's just as fierce, still he 7'1" guy from season one would have been picture perfect.

I think Camera angles are going to play a big role in this scene.

Honestly, Pascal is such an amazing Oberyn that I wouldn't complain one bit if they had him survive the duel. Hell, I always thought it was the one time where Martin killing a character was a mistake anyway. The Red Viper had too much potential, both in show and books, to be killed off like that.

Alas, there's no way for Tyrion's story to make any sense if he wins his trial. Unless they make up that Oberyn using poison disqualifies him or something, but that would be way too anticlimatic.

I think Oberyn dies differently in the show. Remember in the books Ser Gregor smashes his head in like a sledge hammer to a melon. But Oberyn mentioned that Ser Gregor used his sword to cut his sister in half. I think that is how he finishes Oberyn on the show.

I like this Mountain more than the NBA looking guy from Season 2. Even though this guy is over a foot shorter than the book Ser Gregor he's just as fierce, still he 7'1" guy from season one would have been picture perfect.

I think Camera angles are going to play a big role in this scene.

That would be too easy. A sword? No, the death is horrific and distinctive, changing that would be a mistake

That would be too easy. A sword? No, the death is horrific and distinctive, changing that would be a mistake

Agreed. Even though getting cut in half would be gross, nothing compares to how it's going to actually play out.

I think they had Oberyn say what they did about Elia being cut in half by his sword to remind us of who The Mountain was. This is their 3rd actor for him, so some clarity would help. In S1 we saw him cut his horse's head off in one blow, which was discussed as distinctive later (when Ned was sitting the IT hearing about the horrors in the Riverlands). It's just another way to remind everyone that we've heard of this guy before.

The Lena and Pedro pic proves he's going to be dying in a way that is likely quite similar to the books.

I don't get why people keep saying that he gets cut in half because that's what he did to Elia...is he going to rape him first also like he did to Elia?

Just seems silly that people keep using this as a basis to justify it.

I'm sure its some type of head smash, eye gouge deal...the whole point is Oberyn getting to close thinking he's won. GRRM robs of of Oberyns win at the last second...they're not going to alter that beyond recognition.

Archived