[BOOK SPOILERS] Oberyn appreciation...you are my champion.

timstanton

And to think his casting announcement was met with such outrage.

Some of us kept the faith! I did, I heard he had done theatre and lots of it, I thought, "He'll do well." The best actors have always come from the theatre...

I'm just going to quote myself from the impressions discussion because I'm still in awe of the scene and it's the first time I've cried this season...

snapback.png

^This. So much this. Perfectly said what I was thinking.

If you stop and listen quietly for a moment ... you can hear the anguished cries of thousands of GoT fans calling across a parallel universe where the episode with Oberyn's death has just played out. It's probably worse than the Red Wedding in some ways - this guy was dead sexy hot in ways that made the Starks look like cold stiffs. ;)

For me, it's far worse than the Red Wedding. Worse than Eddard, too. Oberyn is on of my top-3 characters, and in a series with so many great ones -- that's saying something. I wanted his revenge for him, for Doran, for Dorne. Oberyn is unlike any other character -- not only in his swagger, sexiness and all-around persona -- but he truly does have RIGHT on his side. Elia and her children being killed cannot be compared to RW deaths (where one can make the argument that Robb knowingly put himself/his men/Cat in that situation).

Elia and her children were truly innocents.

It's killing me that Pascal will be gone soon -- he's nailed Oberyn from the 1st scene imo.

I have a hard time hearing you say "the feels ..." with that creepy avatar - you bastard what have you done to Theon!! :P

Hey! I'm 'A' bastard of the Dreadfort, not 'THE' bastard, if you get my meaning :P... But seriously, even Ramsay must admit that Oberyn has "bigger balls than he (Theon) ever did"... :D

He's pretty much nailed every scene he has been in...and it's going to be even more painful than reading it (as long as they do it right) when he goes all righteous vengeance and gets his head squeezed like a pimple.

Who cares? He'll lose anyway.

Tyrion will never be the same again.

Tyrion is evolving all the time. And technically, the Red Viper doesn't entirely lose and I cannot wait to see the Sand Snakes:-)

I hate how things change...

How damn lucky are we that they got this guy as Oberyn. He has been pretty much pitch perfect with what they've given him so far...if the fight is even 50% as good as it is in the books...can you imagine how he's going to knock it out of the damn park? He's been really subdued so far...I can't wait to see his blood up shouting taunts at the Mountain.

Whenever I think about the moment when he dies in that cruel way , I get immediately sad :( . Just imagine his destroyed face :((

If I recall correctly , it was also said by one of the staff that one of this season's deaths is going to be super cruel , so much that HBO actually didn't let all of it be included in its episode(that would be Oberyn imo) .

Just one thing : Do you think that they'll change The Mountain's death manner ? Is it possible for him to die on the battlefield right after killing Oberyn ? because otherwise they'll either have to inform us of his death in the same episode(which is unlikely coz I think episode 8 will end with the duel) or make him die in episode 9(which is also unlikely because of all the stuff that are going to happen in that episode)

I JUST HOPE THAT THE MOUNTAIN DIES THERE SO EVERYONE SEES HIS DEATH AT THE HANDS OF PRINCE OBERYN :(

^This. So much this. Perfectly said what I was thinking.

For me, it's far worse than the Red Wedding. Worse than Eddard, too. Oberyn is on of my top-3 characters, and in a series with so many great ones -- that's saying something. I wanted his revenge for him, for Doran, for Dorne. Oberyn is unlike any other character -- not only in his swagger, sexiness and all-around persona -- but he truly does have RIGHT on his side. Elia and her children being killed cannot be compared to RW deaths (where one can make the argument that Robb knowingly put himself/his men/Cat in that situation).

Elia and her children were truly innocents.

It's killing me that Pascal will be gone soon -- he's nailed Oberyn from the 1st scene imo.

God I hope we get a good Dorne cast to follow this up. Arianne and Doran's revenge talk in AFFC is one of my favourite scenes

Just AWESOME. All the Casterly Rock talk was so great to hear. Tyrion's expressions were perfect. Most emotionally impact full scene for me this season since his speech last week! I like how Jamie and Bronn visited earlier too, my Unsullied dad (as I'm sure most would've) thought either one of those would fight for him so it was clever to tie up those loose ends and I liked those scenes too.

God I hope we get a good Dorne cast to follow this up. Arianne and Doran's revenge talk in AFFC is one of my favourite scenes

You and me, both! I really love the Dorne stuff, most especially Doran. I love how different Doran is from Oberyn, in mannerism and in method.

On the interactions from this season, I'm am buying the Oberyn poisoned Tywin story

I've always wanted this to be true. It's one of my fave theories although I'm not quite sure I'm on board -- but I love the thought of it!

Oh, man. That scene was amazing. The hardness in Tyrion's eyes as Oberyn tells the story, the veiled anger and misgiving when he's called a freak... then his expression when Oberyn says that he was just a baby. That was a beautiful piece of work and both actors were just perfect.

I am going to cry like a baby when Oberyn dies. He's always been in my top 5 list of favourite book characters but he's probably my favourite show character. He is such a fun character, but also so utterly tragic.

I have a distinct feeling that we wont see Oberyn having his skull crushed in. I predict Clegane slicing him in half or decapitating him will be what we get. However, I feel that Oberyn is such an amazing character (especially brought to life on the screen by Pascal) that it would be an ultimate disservice if we did. Oberyn is badass.. He deserves to die in the most badass way ever!

The actor is perfect, he nails the attitude and has so much charisma. With all the changes, I wouldn't mind if they kept him alive. His character was killed off way too soon without realising his potential when boring characters like Samwell and Brienne, who are well past their expiration date, are still alive in the books.

I have a distinct feeling that we wont see Oberyn having his skull crushed in. I predict Clegane slicing him in half or decapitating him will be what we get. However, I feel that Oberyn is such an amazing character (especially brought to life on the screen by Pascal) that it would be an ultimate disservice if we did. Oberyn is badass.. He deserves to die in the most badass way ever!

I'm pretty certain it will be just like the books. They've teased it in a photoshoot with Pedro and Lena, and foreshadowed it during the tavern brawl in Two Swords.

Archived