Glad to see The Mountain is moisturizing - see how young he looks!

This! Why did they even drop Conan anyway?

He did get a bigger , in a way, part in Peter Jackson's trilogy of the Hobbit... I think that knocked him out of season 2.

Story goes, he did want back when he became free. Which he would have been or could have been for this season.

Then it's all a mystery, he spoke of some hush hush dealings , I guess with Dave and Dan , or maybe HBO.

Something went wrong, or was he black listed by HBO.

Stevens wont talk about it.

Ugh, yeah - the actor is in his early thirties at most and far too likable looking. If massive size and muscles were the only qualifications on the job description, I think they could have found any number of hulking large dudes who looked a lot older and more evil ... this guy even had a nice tan and smooth skin - way too pretty for the horrific monster "The Mountain" was described as in the books. Oh well - it was my ONLY one tiny nitpick in the entire episode - I absolutely loved the rest of the scenes - amazingly powerful episode.

The actor is only 25, far younger than I'd have thought.

He looks a bit too cuddly for being the mountain.

LOL, I second this!

But seriously, Conan WAS the Mountain. As disappointing as it is, I still think Hafthor did a great job. The way he silently shook his head after being told "Does it matter"... That's the closest we've gotten to the Mountain since season 1, IMO.

Agreed but now I am kinda hoping they had gotten Nathan Jones as the new Mountain.

He does convincing scary and has the real life history to back it up.

Someone said earlier, or on another thread -- just leave a helm on him. Easy fix :-) But even had they done that, the scene was still laughable.

I think in E8 that's what they do... good.

But Lord! do Dave and Dan hate helms!

Maybe to upset Geroge!

That guy is no the terrifying Mountain, this guy looks sweet like I want hug him.

He looked menacing to me . . . solid muscles, thick, great athletic ability . . yep he would probably could handle all the folks in here critical of his appearance pretty easy.

I am not one of them. I think he's a great choice and I am glad he's a nice guy in person . . imagine of he was a real monster with a body that fierce!!

I'm not too concerned about the actor, he doesn't need to do much. But why the hell was he killing random villagers in front of a pile of weapons, and why weren't they just fleeing?

Well anyone of noble blood can ask for trial by combat, even those whose "noble blood" is no longer accompanied by lands or riches. These guys were probably some smart-asses who thought "hey, I'm looking at a sure conviction anyway, and my hand will get taken off. Since my great great great grandfather was supposedly knighted, I'll ask for a trial by combat! Maybe I'll get lucky."

And so "execution by combat" becomes a regular occurrence, where some gold cloak or another will go in will full armor and get some exercise cutting down random schmucks who are only given a token weapon. On this particular day, of course, the Mountain was in town. "We've got a special surprise for you lot today." perhaps they were told.

He was good enough for me. I have seen part of the preview for the next one, and he makes Oberyn look like a dwarf.

It'll work, IMO. He does have a bit of a jolly face, but it's fine. At least Robert Strong won't have a head, so if they keep this actor, we'll just get stature, and not derpyness.

TBH I am just thinking it was todo with the way it was shot this episode, it was from a low angle perspective. When the trial by combat happens we will truely get to see the 'mountains' size because Bjornsson is huge!

Bjornsson (Gregor) is 6'9, with an endomorph body type and one of the biggest body builders in the world. Where as Pascal (Oberyn) is only 5'11, with an ecto/mesomorph body type and has the same body fitness as 'most' male actors. I really hope the show puts in a shot of Bjornsson standing next to Dinkladge, because they are literally polar opposites in size comparison between humans.

Archived