Is all the app's information also contained in TWOIAF?

This is my question, is all the content from the app's entries also contained in the upcoming book (The World of Ice and Fire)?

I like paper and real (physical) books, and using the app for researching obscure details (like the presence of bandits in the Howling Hills of Essos) is frustrating.

You can get the Android version of the app using the Bluestack emulator.

I can't swear 100% that all the setting details in the app are in the book. Most of them are, though.

Depends on what you consider legal. You'd need to create a US Play Store account to download the app but you still need to pay for the full features of the app. Personally, I don't consider that illegal. The app isn't available in my country either but I downloaded and paid for the full app using a US account.

Depends on what you consider legal. You'd need to create a US Play Store account to download the app but you still need to pay for the full features of the app. Personally, I don't consider that illegal. The app isn't available in my country either but I downloaded and paid for the full app using a US account.

But how is your situation then? Is the app available in your country on apple only? Or not at all? Do you have the app on your phone or on PC? Because I heard from people that in order to create a US play store account in another country, you need to download some IP changing app, and that doesn't sound really safe to me..

So if there's another option, I'd love to hear it :)

But how is your situation then? Is the app available in your country on apple only? Or not at all? Do you have the app on your phone or on PC? Because I heard from people that in order to create a US play store account in another country, you need to download some IP changing app, and that doesn't sound really safe to me..

So if there's another option, I'd love to hear it :)

Not available in my country on either platform as far as I know. I'm running the app on my phone (android) but I have used Bluestacks as well on my Mac. The Mac version is still in Beta and, in my experience, it was rubbish so I uninstalled it. To create a US account you will have to make use of a VPN. There are free VPN's available for download on both the Play Store and App Store - if that eases your fears about safety.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm checking the Wiki for the app's data. Just read that House Kenning of Kayce (in the Westerlands) are descendants of a Ironborn Warrior, Herrock and that their warhorn, the Horn of Herrock, is passed "down amongst the familu as an heirloom."

Yes, I'm a bitch for details and I hope this sort of (for some, insignificant) detail will be present in the book. For bibliophiles / information completists a mere app or even wiki is never enough.

Most of the new setting information in the app is in the book. I can't swear 100% that _all_ of it is. The needs of the books meant that we'd have to choose among various details to fit the text -- in an extremely simplified analogy, lets say we got 2 paragraphs on some far eastern place, and it had 6 brand new details, and in editing it down to 1 paragraph we dropped 3 of those... but the app may have gotten 1-2 details that we dropped.

I think they should be at least 99% congruent in the information they present, but that's my recollection based on what I recall of what we did for the app and the edits we did to the relevant sections of the book.

Most of the new setting information in the app is in the book. I can't swear 100% that _all_ of it is. The needs of the books meant that we'd have to choose among various details to fit the text -- in an extremely simplified analogy, lets say we got 2 paragraphs on some far eastern place, and it had 6 brand new details, and in editing it down to 1 paragraph we dropped 3 of those... but the app may have gotten 1-2 details that we dropped.

I think they should be at least 99% congruent in the information they present, but that's my recollection based on what I recall of what we did for the app and the edits we did to the relevant sections of the book.

Thanks, Ran. Just tell GRRM someday you guys should write a heraldry book, I mean...someday a maester should write a heraldry book, for some lord's heir, mentioning the heraldry, words, heirlooms (including famous blades) and seats of all the existing and extinct houses (i.e. all the ones in the books and wiki). Some houses could have their origins, famous members and traditions detailed. Just imagine such a lavishly illustrated westerosi book of heraldry!

What you think about such a project?

Archived