Stark Family Tree from The World of Ice and Fire

http://static2.hypable.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/WOIAF7.jpg

I have not seen any comments regarding the family tree that was released...Any thoughts?

What surprised me the most..Seems like a lot of marriages to houses in the Vale.(Cobray, and two Royces) Also, a lot of Starks marrying Starks..Somewhat like the Targs

I found the discussion..http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/107651-world-of-ice-and-fire-extract-to-be-available/?hl=v

• 3 weeks later...

All of Westeros believes Ned to be Jon's father, and his mother is unknown. Why would it show anything different?

Correct. If the tree is viewed as being prepared "within" Westeros, by Westerosi and based on their available information, this part of the Stark tree is perfectly accurate.

Well, since there is apparently no Baratheon family tree in the book, it's dubious (even unlikely) if the fiction that the family trees are part of Maester Yandel's book can be upheld. A maester who is trying to win Robert Baratheon's favor should not skip the family tree of House Baratheon in favor of the Targaryen ancestry (Robert would not be all that interested in that one) or even the Lannister family tree (not related to the royal dynasty). The Stark family tree makes some sense, though, since Robert was very close to Ned/Lyanna.

It's always possible that the Baratheon tree is integrated into the Targaryen tree, since for the maesters it was important that Robert had an actual blood claim to the throne, not only a claim by conquest.

In that case, Robert's Baratheon tree, can be shows from Rhaelle onwards, with 4 generations of Baratheons in there.

They certainly are for fans, the whole book is. The question is, are the family trees supposed to be an appendix to Maester Yandel's work, or are they merely an appendix to the book?

I'd be a much better conception, in my opinion, if the book would incorporate the invented family trees in the in-universe section of the book.

And I'm pretty sure Robert did not really know (or care) all that much about his ancestry. He would have known about Orys, and other important Lords/heroes of House Baratheon, and possibly his grandparents and great-grandparents, but he would most certainly not have memorized his full family tree in detail. He's just not the kind of guy who would do something like that.

But even if he was, that would still not explain why Maester 'The Glorious Reign' Yandel would not try to impress King Robert by adding a full family tree of House Baratheon to his book. It was dedicated to/explicitly made for the king, after all. And Yandel would also be very wise to not over-stress the fact that Robert was descended from a Targaryen grandmother. He hated them, remember, and that was such a well-known fact that Yandel would really be stupid if he did not realize it.

Archived