Biggest Mystery in the Entire Series is in chapter one.

Mdoggy

On my first read, I just assumed the mother direwolf came from the nearby (and aptly named) Wolfswood. However, on my second read, I considered the possibility that the direwolf had come from north of the Wall.

1) In the prologue, the Royce/Will/Gared rangers traveled considerably north/northwest from Castle Black toward the Milkwater. That placed Gared west of CB.

2) The rangers heard a wolf howl when they dismounted to approach the wildling camp. (Direwolf howl?)

3) In Chapter 1, Gared and the direwolf were discovered in the same general area in the hills south of the Wall less than a day's ride from Winterfell for the Starks.

4) In ASOS, Chapter 30 detailed a rocky gorge to the west of the Shadow Tower that was used by small groups of wildlings to bypass the Wall.

5) The text made no mention of Gared's having horses when he was captured; that could indicate a Gorge crossing as its terrain (rocks, boulders and at least one pool of water) was not hospitable to horses.

6) Commander Mormont sent Benjen and his team out to look for Waymar's lost rangers when they failed to return to Castle Black. It is unlikely that Gared crossed through CB's tunnel (with the attendant horn-blowing and debriefing from black brothers) and then walked away.

So, it is plausible that Gared and the direwolf independently evaded the Others and fled south/southwest to cross through the Gorge. Perhaps this question will be resolved by the author at the end of ADOS.

As for the question about the father of the pups, there seems no reason to believe he was not a full direwolf.

1) The pups are never described as anything but direwolf pups: not hybrids, not smaller than direwolves, etc.

2) Nymeria savages any male wolf that tries to mount her.

If a Direwolf hasn't been seen in 200 years how did one end up in the middle of the north without being seen?

Because the North is a vast place, relatively less populated.

Because wolfswood is a huge forest.

Because the direwolves hunt at night, not the best time for people to go out and be able to see what is going on.

Because no one seeing a direwolf does not mean that the direwolves went extinct South of the Wall. Even today, we can see individuals of species that we were thinking to be extinct for a century in Real World. If we had greenseer powers, we could be able to tell whether a species went extinct or not exactly. It would be easy to locate a direwolf even in a huge forest if we were greenseers.

• 1 month later...

I've always believed the Three-Eyed Crow/Bloodraven made sure the direwolf pups got to the Stark kids (and Jon). I think he knew they would need protectors and would probably need to learn to skinchange (especially Bran). Besides, he's practically a member of the Old Gods already so to say the pups were a gift from the Old Gods isn't too much different ;)

One thing I've always wondered about, though, is why the direwolf mother's eyes are described as "crawling with maggots" (perhaps implying her being dead for awhile) while the antler pulled from her throat is described as being "wet with blood" (perhaps implying that she had not been dead for long)? Eh, probably no real import to it because, whether the direwolf mother was already dead or still alive, the Three-Eyed Crow could probably get her where he wanted her anyway :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

Because no one seeing a direwolf does not mean that the direwolves went extinct South of the Wall. Even today, we can see individuals of species that we were thinking to be extinct for a century in Real World.

I think the "there's no direwolves anymore!" lines are meant to illustrate the willful ignorance of the population south of the Wall. When Ned tells Cat that the Others have been gone 8000 years, that Maestrr Luwin says no living man has ever seen one, she replies "Until this morning, mo living man had ever seen a direwolf either." Benjen later clearly tells Jon they are aware of direwolves north of the Wall. He says it casually, in passing. I think this foreshadows the dismissiveness with which the kingdom treats the NW. The population seems to have no real idea what goes on up there and seems disinclined to believe what the NW says. People like Ned will only believe in the Others once they are face to face.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I think we all agree that Bloodraven had something to do with it dont we?

IT would be just too much of a coincidence if the Starks just happened to stumble across a dead direwolf and her pups...

Now to the questiion where did they come from?
I personally think it is not that far fetched that the direwolves are not really extinct but have always been living in the Wolfswood but are have succesfully avoided humans (not that unrealistic given their incredible senses)

I've always believed the Three-Eyed Crow/Bloodraven made sure the direwolf pups got to the Stark kids (and Jon). I think he knew they would need protectors and would probably need to learn to skinchange (especially Bran). Besides, he's practically a member of the Old Gods already so to say the pups were a gift from the Old Gods isn't too much different ;)

One thing I've always wondered about, though, is why the direwolf mother's eyes are described as "crawling with maggots" (perhaps implying her being dead for awhile) while the antler pulled from her throat is described as being "wet with blood" (perhaps implying that she had not been dead for long)? Eh, probably no real import to it because, whether the direwolf mother was already dead or still alive, the Three-Eyed Crow could probably get her where he wanted her anyway :dunno:

I agree re 3-eyed Crow/BR, absolutely.

Your second point, however, regarding the direwolf mother's condition upon discovery, makes me wonder, too. Never thought of it before, or even noticed it, but I do think that GRRM makes no mistakes, in spite of being - obviously - human. In the beginning of this (AGOT) his first book in what's to be an epic series, I would be especially surprised if these details were a mistake. But I can't imagine what their significance would be.

Your second point, however, regarding the direwolf mother's condition upon discovery, makes me wonder, too. Never thought of it before, or even noticed it, but I do think that GRRM makes no mistakes, in spite of being - obviously - human. In the beginning of this (AGOT) his first book in what's to be an epic series, I would be especially surprised if these details were a mistake. But I can't imagine what their significance would be.

I wonder if it isn't implying that the direwolf mother was dead for awhile but Bloodraven "warged" her to where he needed her anyway? And, of course, the whole "coincidence" of the number and sex of the pups matching the Stark children (and Jon getting his, too) was most likely not coincidence at all. Also, Jon being the one to "hear" the sixth pup while they were riding away was probably no accident either.

I also wonder about the stag horn in the direwolf mother's throat? Was that just coincidence or was it something bloodraven may have done on purpose? If so, what purpose? Seems really, really cryptic if it was meant as some kind of warning. Also, when would it have happened? Was it somewhat recent as the "wet with blood" would seem to imply? Or is that what killed the direwolf mother and, if so, how long before she was discovered? If the direwolf died recently then why would her eyes already be crawling with maggots? :dunno:

Was the father necessarily a direwolf, or could he have been a regular wolf? Would the Northmen know the difference between a half wolf half direwolf and a full direwolf?

Is the father Rhaegar?

Sorry I could not help myself. I think probably Bloodraven had a hand in it somehow, since he tells Bran he has been watching him since his birth, or something like that. Bloodaven knows things.

What's fascinating is the idea that Ghost may have a ghost inside of him.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently started rereading the books and I just finished the first chapter of GOT and I just realized something huge:

WHERE DID THE DIREWOLF MOTHER COME FROM?

It never bothered me in my first read through but now it is driveing me crazy.

If a Direwolf hasn't been seen in 200 years how did one end up in the middle of the north without being seen?

There is also only the Direwolf Mother shown. If there is a mother who is the Father?

I thought maybe it came through the wall but that is highly unlikely because I dont think the Night Watch will just let a pregnant Direwolf through the wall.

So is there a secret bunch of Direwolves in the North?

To me it seems like the greatest mystery in the series because there is no mention or evidence or prophecy that sheds light on this conundrum.

Has this bothered anyone else?

THIS IS A STRETCH but very plausible.

But there are known tunnels that go under the wall so BR could have led the dire wolf through warging

• 1 month later...

Ned speaks with unconscious irony here:

“Come, let us see what mischief my sons have rooted out now” (Bran 1, AGoT).

The verb “rooted” is apt because Martin connects the direwolf pups with the forces of the old gods, who gift the Stark progeny their direwolves.

Bloodraven wargs the mother and guides her to her whelping location. The magic of the old gods mark the pups as their agents, with Ghost likely the wolf that correlates to Bloodraven. In ADwD, Jojen explains how some children have special green gifts courtesy of the forces of the old gods. All the pups display coloring in their coats and their eyes that tie them to the Children of the Forest, Bloodraven, and the Direwolf sigil of House Stark.

Ghost can't cross back through the Wall on his own. Hence why he was "lost" and Jon thought he may be dead after he was captured and climbed the wall with Tormund and the other Wildlings. They weren't reuinited until months later when Jon next went North of the Wall.

I once held Martin to a code of writing with ‘meticulous’, ‘scrupulous meanness’ that I associate with James Joyce, William Golding, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Anthony Burgess, and a few others. But Martin puts forth an effort, at least, in aspiring to compose thoughtful prose fiction that truly narrates an epic length series with a complex cast of characters who are set in a fantasy world of ice and fire totally invented by Martin.

Here is an example of an error in style and usage from the “Prologue” of AGoT in which I attempt to find meaning.

An excerpt from Deconstructing George R. R. Martin’s A Game of Thrones: A Collection of Close Readings Inspired by Passages from the “Prologue” and POVs in the First Novel of A Song of Ice and Fire Series:

YOU SAW HOW YOUNG HE WAS”

Pronoun Shift, Dangling Modifier, and Skewed Logic

Martin’s shifting from third- to second-person-point-of-view appears in a sentence that he opens with a dangling modifier. The usually perspicuous Martin composes a confusing, illogical passage wherein pronoun usage errors are the compelling offenses.

Martin writes:

“Royce’s body lay face down in the snow, one arm out flung. The thick sable cloak had been slashed in a dozen places. Lying dead like that, you saw how young he was. A boy” (10).

The introductory participial phrase “lying dead like that” functions as an adjective and technically should modify the subject of the main clause [YOU saw how young he was], which is YOU. Martin’s poor wording in modification is an oversight an editor should have caught; that is, unless Martin means more in his subtext.

“YOU”, or the reader(s), is/are NOT “lying dead”. Ser Royce is the unfortunate chap lying dead. The error could have been corrected easily with a little wordsmithing as follows:

“Lying dead like that, he looked young, like a boy”.

The next issue with the same sentence is the pronoun THAT in “Lying dead like that”. The antecedent of “that” is unclear. Martin narrows the scope with a few options:

1. “Royce’s body lay face down in the snow, one arm out flung”.

2. “The thick sable cloak had been slashed in a dozen places”.

Both A and B

With Royce’s face down, Will cannot feasibly assess Royce’s countenance to determine that he “looked young, like a boy”. After all, the face is the aspect people usually scrutinize when gauging the age of another. So, if not Will’s face, the pronoun that may refer to Royce’s final repose and/or to Royce’s shredded sable cloak. However, neither of these options communicate that Royce “looked young, like a boy” when “lying dead”.

Will might mean that Royce’s spent corpse beneath his shredded cloak makes Royce look “young, like a boy” in contrast to Royce’s formidable stature astride his warhorse, where he towers over Will and Gared. With his arm out flung and with his face down, Royce appears helpless and smaller in stature “like a boy”. Royce reaches out in death for a weapon, for help, or for the unattainable dreams he had in life. Thus, the once intensely driven ranging commander succumbs to the great leveler of all men, death.

• 3 weeks later...

Maggots hatch in about 24 hours. The blood in a dead boy doesn't dry immediately, think about hamburger stored in your refrigerator.

The blood seeps to the lowest point in the body and starts to clot. It takes months to dry up --exactly how long depends on temperatures,

humidity, etc.

So yeah, she had probably been dead about a day, less than two.

I've never understood how Gared came from beyond the wall, - might have missed it from the reading. But the least interesting answer is that he simply went to Castle Black and then left the NW. However, the direwolf would not have accompanied him through Castle Black so something else needs to explain that fact.

Two questions:

1. The direwolf in question died from a failed attempt at killing a Deer (right?) and upon them discovering the antle in its wound brought silence to the group, - is that a foreshadowing of Baratheons causing the death of a Stark? "A sudden silence descended over the party. The men looked at the antler uneasily, and no one dared to speak."

2. Ghost (white fur, red eyes AND open eyes) is said to be born from the dead: “Maybe she didn’t,” Jory said. “I’ve heard tales... maybe the bitch was already dead when the pups came.” “Born with the dead,” another man put in. “Worse luck.” Is this a reference to Jon's "birth" by a dead Lyanna?

Feel free to shoot this down.

I think that is exactly it. Furthermore, after meeting the character, I thought that Bloodraven sent the direwolf mother and that he is the puppet-master.

I think that is exactly it. Furthermore, after meeting the character, I thought that Bloodraven sent the direwolf mother and that he is the puppet-master.

The mother had to be alive during the birth because all the pups have been cleaned of afterbirth. All the pups, even Ghost, has clean fur, no matting and goo. From a former dog breeder.

Maggots hatch in about 24 hours. The blood in a dead boy doesn't dry immediately, think about hamburger stored in your refrigerator.

The blood seeps to the lowest point in the body and starts to clot. It takes months to dry up --exactly how long depends on temperatures,

humidity, etc.

Interesting! I was thinking the the maggots would take longer. Thanks!

humidity, etc.

That is interesting. I remember being surprised during my initial read of GOT at the thought of maggots existing in the snow. Later I came to see this as an example of how "life finds a way", despite the relatively harsh northern climate. Moreover, It underlines the point made in the prologue by Royce when he noted that the temperature was too warm for the wildlings to have frozen to death because, despite the snow, the Wall wept during the day.

That is interesting. I remember being surprised during my initial read of GOT at the thought of maggots existing in the snow. Later I came to see this as an example of how "life finds a way", despite the relatively harsh northern climate. Moreover, It underlines the point made in the prologue by Royce when he noted that the temperature was too warm for the wildlings to have frozen to death because, despite the snow, the Wall wept during the day.

Plenty of clues in the Prologue that intimate the cold "gets inside" them, like the "taste of fear". The Others use mists to a purpose. They do not freeze the wights. The Others themselves are made of ice. Note that when they appear, the wind stops. The force commanded by the old gods ceases at the appearance of the Others - and elsewhere, as when Bran finds his voice.

Archived