So when does book seven come out and will it be the last?

AreaStark

Just like George isn't there to cater to your timelines or standards.

If you weren't criticizing the way he writes, you wouldn't have made your comments whatsoever. The time in which he takes to write IS criticizing the way he writes. Saying he "needs to get his shit together" and "can't someone else type for him" - totally disrespectful and borderline ignorant to the writing process, to be honest.

And who cares? Really. Sure, you may think he shouldn't take on so much, but you should just be grateful he's writing the series at all, instead of nit-picking everything. I'd rather he take his time to write his best possible work than rush it out to cater to those who whine about how long it's taking.

You're entitled to your opinions and no I don't have to be grateful to him for anything. The fact that he has fans buying his books and thereby making him money means that HE should be grateful to them.

It's not that serious so no need to get your knickers in a twist.

You're entitled to your opinions and no I don't have to be grateful to him for anything. The fact that he has fans buying his books and thereby making him money means that HE should be grateful to them.

It's not that serious so no need to get your knickers in a twist.

"George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.

This is a useful thing to know, perhaps a useful thing to point out when you find yourself thinking that possibly George is, indeed, your bitch, and should be out there typing what you want to read right now.

People are not machines. Writers and artists aren't machines.

You're complaining about George doing other things than writing the books you want to read as if your buying the first book in the series was a contract with him: that you would pay over your ten dollars, and George for his part would spend every waking hour until the series was done, writing the rest of the books for you.

No such contract existed. You were paying your ten dollars for the book you were reading, and I assume that you enjoyed it because you want to know what happens next."

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

Why should he be grateful? It's a simple exchange of money for goods he has created, if his works weren't appealing, nobody would buy them. Nobody needs to be grateful to anyone, if he doesn't make books etc he doesn't get money and that's all there is to it. If I don't spend money I don't get to read the books I want to read. He owes us nothing. We owe him nothing. We can choose to give him loyalty etc but we don't need to and he has no obligation to finish the series at all, though it would obviously upset me if he didn't and I can't imagine he'd ever not want to

Why should he be grateful? It's a simple exchange of money for goods he has created, if his works weren't appealing, nobody would buy them. Nobody needs to be grateful to anyone, if he doesn't make books etc he doesn't get money and that's all there is to it. If I don't spend money I don't get to read the books I want to read. He owes us nothing. We owe him nothing. We can choose to give him loyalty etc but we don't need to and he has no obligation to finish the series at all, though it would obviously upset me if he didn't and I can't imagine he'd ever not want to

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Though I do think that readers should be a little grateful he shared this series with us.

No. But you sound like you're his.

No? Are you sure? Reread your posts. Anyway, no, not really. I just can appreciate the work and time he puts into the series, which you clearly, cannot. And, I just don't like bad attitudes (which include a sense of entitlement).

I suspect he would too, alongside other things he is entitled to want to do with his life.

Put it this way, if I got tired of the delays in waiting for his book and refused to read anything he did, ie breaking my end of the non-existent contract of obligation implied in your sentiment, would he be right to complain about it and demand that I come back and buy his book?

If you actually think this man writes just for the fun of it and not to make money then you're really naive.

I don't think at any point I wrote anything that you should logically be able to infer that I didn't think he wrote to make money, in fact I think I implied the opposite

If you actually think this man writes just for the fun of it and not to make money then you're really naive.

Hahahaha.

You do realize this series has been around for a long time, and it's only been semi-recently that he's really gotten famous and very successful.

But that's the thing. I didn't say his books are crap and he takes time to write them. His books are awesome and I personally think he should take some time out to finish the series. That's my opinion. If it sounds like I have a bad attitude and a sense of entitlement, I don't really care. But yeah, I do feel I'm entitled to read the final books. If George chooses not to finish them, that's his prerogative. I'll still feel like I was entitled to read the final books.

You may not have intended to come across a certain way, but it was how you worded your replies, which was what sat wrong with me. No harm, no foul.

Either way, my thoughts are late 2015 for release.

The books will never be finished and GRRM doesn't care. You might as well stick with the show if you want a complete story.

Why will the books never be finished? And who says GRRM doesn't care. I mean if you write on a story for so long, you get to know these characters, the become a part of your life (Of course I'm not saying I know GRRM or something or know he feels this way... But I write stories myself and hope to publish a book once and I care and love most of the characters I've invented.) and you know and love them. George himself said in an interview regarding The Red Wedding that he wrote that scene cyring, because he loved his characters. So I think he does care for the story, but that he just has a hard time to write everything down.

I think and I hope he will finish the books, he may be very old by then and it may be one of the last things he does, but I think he will finish them they will be his masterpiece and people will remember him for writing these books, just as they remember Tolkien and other great fantasy writers.

And if he won't finish the series due to some events (because I think he will finish them), I'd rather read a fantastic unfinished series of books than watch a television show that's based on some events the writer told the makers of the series. When GRRM dies before he finished or before the series finishes we will never have a proper ending with the authors blessing. I say that because I think that even though D&D did a great job with the series, they have a different view on some things than GRRM and so the ending will be different than GRRM anticipated when he wrote the series.

But this is my opinion and everybody has the right to disagree with me :)

Archived