So when does book seven come out and will it be the last?

AreaStark

Hi! :) So I have seen the show and I am thinking of getting the books, but I do not like to wait for months for the next book to come out so I would rather buy them all in one go and read them then. Hence my question, when will they all be out?

Also, do you guys think Area is going to be "King" on the Iron Throne? I really hope so! How's it look in book six, does it seem likely?

Well, actually you do write for years on a good book. Also the ASOIAF books are big and complex books, about 1000 pages each. It takes quite a long time to write those books, than rewrite some pieces and check them, than the whole publishing thing, so writing a book takes a long time, writing books the size GRRM does, takes a really long time.

What I am trying to say, A Game of Thrones came out in 1996, A Clash of Kings in 1998, A Storm of Swords in 200, A Feast for Crows in 2005 and A Dance with Dragons in 2011,so nobody knows how long the wait will be for the next book, which will be the sixth one and not the seventh as you say. So after The Winds of Winter (Book 6) we will have to wait another long time for book 7 (A Dream of Spring) which will probably be the last one in the series.

Also, I don't think Arya (it's not Area ;) ) will become the king/queen on the Iron Throne, I think (and know because of her further storyline in the books) she is going to take a very different path in her life. But of course, it would be badass to see her on the Iron Throne.

So, yeah, it is a long wait for the next book, so if you don't like I don't know if reading the books is something for you... However, the books are great and because of their size, you will need quite a time to read them all.

To make a long story short, no Arya won't be on the Iron Throne, nobody knows when the sixth and seventh book will come out (I think GRRM doesn't even know that himself) and the seventh book will most likely be the last one in the series.

I felt the same way about starting a series and not being able to finish it for heaven knows how long. However, I started reading the series (after watching the firs 3 seasons on HBO) and I haven't put the kindle down since. I am already halfway through AFOC so that should tell you that the books are as addictive as the shows...actually more. I already have plans to re-read the series while I am waiting for next 2 books. Don't delay any longer. You won't regret it. :cool4:

What I am trying to say, A Game of Thrones came out in 1996, A Clash of Kings in 1998, A Storm of Swords in 200, A Feast for Crows in 2005 and A Dance with Dragons in 2011,so nobody knows how long the wait will be for the next book, which will be the sixth one and not the seventh as you say. So after The Winds of Winter (Book 6) we will have to wait another long time for book 7 (A Dream of Spring) which will probably be the last one in the series.

Oh my goodness...are you serious?! So basically people have been reading this thing since 1996??!! LOL...I'm with Area on this one. Thank goodness I waited until there were 7 volumes out before I started reading. I'm in the middle of the second one now but in between life and work it takes me a week to read a book so I'll be done with them all in no time.

I didn't even start watching the show until the season 1-3 boxset was out and I won't watch season 4 till the dvd is out. I'm not patient enough to wait a week for a new episode.

Anyway George really needs to get his shit together. Can't he just dictate and let someone else type. Wouldn't that be faster lol? He's gonna leave this story unfinished. I can just feel it. I'm guessing there'll be 4 volumes making up the last 2 books - 4 volumes we'll never get to read. I hear he's told Weiss and the other guy how it ends so they;ll just improvise and we'll find out what happens onscreen.

I felt the same way about starting a series and not being able to finish it for heaven knows how long. However, I started reading the series (after watching the firs 3 seasons on HBO) and I haven't put the kindle down since. I am already halfway through AFOC so that should tell you that the books are as addictive as the shows...actually more. I already have plans to re-read the series while I am waiting for next 2 books. Don't delay any longer. You won't regret it. :cool4:

Hey that's what I did. Watched the 3 season boxset...felt a little lost and confused so started reading the books...and everything clicked

YEARS?????????????? Are you kidding me??? Noone writes one book for years, that's just stupid! All you do is sit on your ass and type all day. One month should be enough, right? Two if you're lazy.

Are you kidding ME? You're disrespectful. Completely. Authors do NOT cater to you, and you certainly have no idea what you're talking about. It doesn't take a month to write a book. Especially a book as complex as this series, and they're usually 1,000+ pages.

Anyway George really needs to get his shit together. Can't he just dictate and let someone else type. Wouldn't that be faster lol? He's gonna leave this story unfinished. I can just feel it. I'm guessing there'll be 4 volumes making up the last 2 books - 4 volumes we'll never get to read. I hear he's told Weiss and the other guy how it ends so they;ll just improvise and we'll find out what happens onscreen.

Can't tell if trolling or just...

Just... wow. You are completely disrespectful too. What a shame.

Rumour is Winds for late 2015

Fingers crossed :D

Also, I'm totally with Ygritte Freeman on this one. Be respectful. Authors work hard and this saga really merits a TON of time and effort. It's really pretty damn impressive. You should be thankful GRRM decided to create it at all instead of criticizing the way he writes.

Can't tell if trolling or just...

Just... wow. You are completely disrespectful too. What a shame.

And it's a shame my opinion offends you. Sorry but I'm not here to cater to your feelings. The man is taking forever. That's a fact. He himself even realises that. 18 years to write a max of 9 books? The problem is, he's got his fingers in too many pies. If he'd taken the time he took to write the other six or so books he's written that are non-related to this series and used it to focus solely on this series it would have been complete. Period.

Fingers crossed :D

Also, I'm totally with Ygritte Freeman on this one. Be respectful. Authors work hard and this saga really merits a TON of time and effort. It's really pretty damn impressive. You should be thankful GRRM decided to create it at all instead of criticizing the way he writes.

Nobody's criticising the way he writes. At least I'm not. I'm criticising the TIME he's taking to finish a series. He's not the only brilliant writer to ever exist and I'm well aware how much time and effort it takes to write a book, thank you very much. The longer he takes the more he'll lose interest in finishing it off. That's just human nature. The next two books don't even seem to have possible release dates. And let's not forget - the man is mortal and getting older. So like I said previously, we'll be lucky if he sticks around to finish the saga. If not, we'll have to watch it on the show since George has told Weiss and Benioff how it's supposed to end.

And it's a shame my opinion offends you. Sorry but I'm not here to cater to your feelings. The man is taking forever. That's a fact. He himself even realises that. 18 years to write a max of 9 books? The problem is, he's got his fingers in too many pies. If he'd taken the time he took to write the other six or so books he's written that are non-related to this series and used it to focus solely on this series it would have been complete. Period.

I don't follow GRRM's career, but I think he does more than writing books, and he doesn't only write ASOIAF but some other stuff, either related or not. And that's his work, that's how he makes a living. Unless you pay him to live with you and only write, and you pay him enough to have the life he's used to live, you don't have a saying. No one does. So, it's not like he's sitting on his couch watching TV and neglecting ASOIAF. He is working in all the things he's involved to and he's entitled to do it.

But yes, writers aren't there for us to ask them stuff. Nor does anybody working in creative careers. For example, let's say I own a bakery. You eat there every day. One day I decided to shut it down because I want to do something else and you protest. Your opinion doesn't matter to me. You pay for the work I choose to sell, it's not that you pay me to keep my bakery running. If we pay GRRM for writing, that's a different matter, because he would be writing for us. We don't pay him and he isn't working for us. He writes because he likes it and he writes and we pay to read what he has done. It's a different matter.

So? You write this as if you have a point...

Just like George isn't there to cater to your timelines or standards.

If you weren't criticizing the way he writes, you wouldn't have made your comments whatsoever. The time in which he takes to write IS criticizing the way he writes. Saying he "needs to get his shit together" and "can't someone else type for him" - totally disrespectful and borderline ignorant to the writing process, to be honest.

And who cares? Really. Sure, you may think he shouldn't take on so much, but you should just be grateful he's writing the series at all, instead of nit-picking everything. I'd rather he take his time to write his best possible work than rush it out to cater to those who whine about how long it's taking.

I'd also like to point out some quotes from George in an interview.

Interviewer: How many pages have you already written of The Winds of Winter?

George: "I’ve already written 400 pages of my sixth book. However, of these 400 pages, only 200 are really finished because I still have to revise the other 200 pages, which are in a rough version and I still have to work on them a lot. But you have to keep in mind that the last book, Dance with Dragons, was 1.500 pages long and this one will be more or less the same extension, so I have a lot of work. I hope after this tour I can go back home in order to write as a possessed man. But the sixth volume won’t be released in 2012 or in 2013. I really look forward to publishing it in 2014, but I am really bad for predictions, you may know it. And then, there is another fact: when I finish this saga I will be judged for the quality of the books, not for the speed of my writing."

You know that the ending won’t please everyone, don’t you?

"Of course I will disappoint some of my fans because they are making theories about who will finally take the throne: who would live, who would die… and they even imagine romantic pairings. But I have already experienced that phenomenon with Feast for Crows and again with Dance with Dragons, and repeating the words of Rick Nelson: “You can’t please anyone, so you’ve got to please yourself”. So I will write the two last books as good as I am capable of and I think the great majority of my readers would be happy with it. Trying to please everyone is a horrible mistake; I don’t say you should annoy your readers but art isn’t a democracy and should never be a democracy. It’s my story and those people who get annoyed should go out and write their own stories; the stories they wanna read. "

A link to the interview: http://www.adriasnews.com/2012/10/george-r-r-martin-interview.html

Archived