[Book Spoilers] The Duel

Given that this episode will feature the single combat between Oberyn and Gregor, I wonder how people hope it will come out? Benioff and Weiss state in an EW interview that it's the best fight scene on the show so far, and we've caught glimpses here and there of it so far.

Anything people are hoping to see in particular? What's been your favorite single combat in the series to date? How about the best duel between two combatants you've ever seen in film or television -- are you hoping the show's combat between the Red Viper and the Mountain that Rides will be up there?

Great of you to chime in, Ran, with the trial by combat just a week away!

We've seen Oberyn's spear-moves which Pedro Pascal trained with a wushu master to get right. We've seen Gregor holding a massive sword in one hand. We've seen Oberyn and Ellaria have an epic-looking final kiss. Given how much they've built it up with that great Oberyn-Tyrion scene in "Mockingbird" I think they're pretty confidant that it will be good. Alex Graves directed the Hound-Beric duel after all, which was one of the show's best one-on-one fights, particularly because of how they used the small space it was set in to raise the stakes.

I wonder though if Oberyn might not get his face punched in because A) Gregor looks to only have leather gloves on rather than mail gauntlets like his brother and B ) Oberyn related to us that Gregor cut Elia in half instead of bashing in her brains. Maybe that's what will happen to him too.

My favorite TV fight scene is still Thirteenth! scene in Rome, but in GoT I really liked Hound and Beric. I think this one will top Hound/Beric, maybe even Rome scene, but that would be difficult.

I hope Oberyn's demise is left the same as in the books. The horrific way in which it happens adds so much to the shock and we saw Mountain cut down some random people already - killing Oberyn with a sword would be dissapointing, and it also has the potential of looking ridiculous if he cuts him in half. So they may as well just attempt to recreate book events, it may be hard to pull it off but not impossible.

I do hope at least some of Oberyn's lines were kept mainly the chase you through all seven hells line and Say her name!

They've been very strategic in only showing Oberyn in motion in all the clips they've provided so far. The Mountain has more or less been stationary and we haven't even got a shot of him swinging his sword.

Clearly, Oberyn is going to be the one doing most of the movement during the duel as that's his fighting style but it's going to be interesting to see how much they showcase the Mountain. An interview recently stated that one of the reasons they got Thor to take on the Mountain 3.0 role is because he had a basketball background which meant he moved very well for a man his size.

The clips haven't indicated this but for the most part, the clips appear to be only from the very beginning of the duel with Oberyn demonstrating his agility.

We also don't know how much there will be in the way of verbal taunting that takes place during the duel. I imagine they'll have Oberyn keep his lines from the book (although they may not be word for word). Will the Mountain have any lines and will they be dubbed?

^I hope they cut "you're making my head hurt". That would sound kindof goofy, especially in that artificially deepened Gregor voice. (I do think Roy Dotrice sold the line pretty good in the book on tape though. He did a great Mountain voice).

One point of interest in the duel is that Gregor appears to start off with a helmet on according to some shots we've seen and then later doesn't have it. I guess Oberyn knocks it off, or he throws it off... I'm not sure. I wonder if that red helmet we saw in the costumes featurette is Oberyn's though and he similarly discards it.

I was watching the promo and it looks like Jaime is one of the spectators in the tent, I can imagine him and Tyrion will exchange many reassuring looks during the scene.

Oberyn will probably end up getting cut in half like Elia allegedly was. That should be pretty funny given the number of people who've compared his fighting style with Darth Maul!

Hoping Oberyn starts out flamboyant, putting on a show for the crowd, and we gradually see him get increasingly angered at Gregor. If they reflect that in fighting style, as well as dialogue, it would really add to the scene.

^I hope so.

Yeah, Sati, Jaime is sitting in the same place with other royal spectators. Interestingly Mace Tyrell is sitting between him and Tywin.

And it looks like Varys and Pycelle are there too. I can't locate Tyrion or Ellaria, I think they'll be standing next to each other like in the book

For some reason, I really want them to keep the part with Tyrion throwing up after Oberyn dies. It's the ultimate "Now I'm fucked" capper. They probably won't keep it in but I hope they do.

I hope they'll kept it too!

As long as the fight is good, which I'm sure it will be, all that really matters to me is Oberyn saying " you raped her, you killed her, you murdered her children" over and over again, and yelling EEELLLIAAAAA when he stabs the Mountain. They HAVE to include that or I'm sure a lot of book readers ( if not all of them) are going to be pretty pissed.

Given that this episode will feature the single combat between Oberyn and Gregor, I wonder how people hope it will come out? Benioff and Weiss state in an EW interview that it's the best fight scene on the show so far, and we've caught glimpses here and there of it so far.

Anything people are hoping to see in particular? What's been your favorite single combat in the series to date? How about the best duel between two combatants you've ever seen in film or television -- are you hoping the show's combat between the Red Viper and the Mountain that Rides will be up there?

1) How it will come out: I expect the end result to be the same (Oberyn dies immediately, Gregor gets poisoned and dies later), but the details will probably vary (I don't expect Oberyn's dialogue to be exactly the same as it is in the books).

2) What I hope to see in particular: lots of reactions from the non-combatants (Cersei, Tyrion, Jaime and Ellaria in particular) and Oberyn in full-on rage mode.

3) favourite combat in series so far: the duel between Ned and Jaime (and their retainers) in season 1 tied with the duel between Jaime and Brienne in season 3.

4) best duel I've ever seen in film or TV: Leeloo vs. goons set to Plava Laguna's aria in The Fifth Element.

5) I expect Oberyn's duel with the mountain to become my no. 3 favourite duel in GoT.

I don't know, Alex Graves directs this episode.... he's a good director...have to wait and see.

The best fight so far was the 'chicken' tavern fight in episode 1, it surprised me… since David Benioff and D. B. Weiss directed it. The elaboration and the cutting of the sequence would have made Sam Peckinpah proud!

The tiny clip of it looked a bit Chop-Socky , but it was not enough to make a judgment on.

I was watching the promo and it looks like Jaime is one of the spectators in the tent, I can imagine him and Tyrion will exchange many reassuring looks during the scene.

A Game of Meaningful looks - Part 1258

"I'm oberyn Martell, You killed my sister. You're going to die"

He better get in full Inigo Montoya mode.

I wonder though if Oberyn might not get his face punched in because A) Gregor looks to only have leather gloves on rather than mail gauntlets like his brother and B ) Oberyn related to us that Gregor cut Elia in half instead of bashing in her brains. Maybe that's what will happen to him too.

I don't think Oberyn will be cut in half, I think we'll get an eye gouging like this:

http://img3.hungertv.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/5750-9-015_f2-copy-518x470.jpg

Archived