[Book Spoilers] The Duel

After this week's episode do you think any Unsullied will remember Robb's ass chewing of Edmure last season for chasing the Mountain off when Robb was hoping to surround and kill him? In the books it was Tywin's force he was planning to harry but for some reason they changed to The Mountain for the tv show.....

Well, most Unsullieds have no idea who the fuck is Edmure, and those who'll remember him will not remember it was against the Mountain he did his mistake.

As long as the fight is good, which I'm sure it will be, all that really matters to me is Oberyn saying " you raped her, you killed her, you murdered her children" over and over again, and yelling EEELLLIAAAAA when he stabs the Mountain. They HAVE to include that or I'm sure a lot of book readers ( if not all of them) are going to be pretty pissed.

Completely agree. Those lines are essential and I will die a little inside if they are cut or changed. Also, hoping they include Tyrion throwing up and the Mountain crushing his face in

After this week's episode do you think any Unsullied will remember Robb's ass chewing of Edmure last season for chasing the Mountain off when Robb was hoping to surround and kill him? In the books it was Tywin's force he was planning to harry but for some reason they changed to The Mountain for the tv show.....

Edmure did hold the stone mill from Gregor's army in the books. But Robb placed no specific importance on killing Gregor himself. He just wanted to lead Lannister forces into a trap. I believe they just included that bit to make Edmure's failure seem worse.

Edmure did hold the stone mill from Gregor's army in the books. But Robb placed no specific importance on killing Gregor himself. He just wanted to lead Lannister forces into a trap. I believe they just included that bit to make Edmure's failure seem worse.

They actually lessened the failure considerably, since his failure didn't prevent Tywin's march into the Westerlands. It was just him trying to kill the Mountain.

They actually lessened the failure considerably, since his failure didn't prevent Tywin's march into the Westerlands. It was just him trying to kill the Mountain.

Right but they probably thought the unsullied would see it as more important if the goal was to kill off a villain rather than halt a march that aimed to... I don't even remember what. Return to Casterly Rock?

I find it so fascinating that we'll get the end of the story in the show before the books. It is a first, if I'm not mistaken. First time an adaptation catches back its source novel. It's gonna be freaking awesome to live that !

Well maybe TWOW will be so action-packed that it could fill 3 seasons!

Now, I've never been impressed with any of Jon Snow's choreography. I think the actor is simply a poor fighter.

Wait, not true, I enjoyed the recent scenes of him training newbies in the yard at Castle Black.

Normally, his work is shoddy.

The taking of Yunkai was laughably bad. Daario v. 1 was soooo slow. Jorah did a good job. That actor is excellent in swordplay. Greyworm had his cool spear stuff that was more stunt than combat but it looked good so no complaints there.

I love spear. I have been looking forward to this duel for quite a long time. I am certain they will do a fantastic job with it.

You'll see me in a corresponding thread after the episode if I am wrong.

Ned and Jaime were fantastic, but my favorite will be the Bronn vs. Vardis Egen fight. So real, so no-nonsense. Anti-Hollywood. Loved it.

Will it actually be good for tv fans? The Starks in the first 3 seasons were thrown in the viewers face as the good guys. Then then they saw first Ned get decapitated, and just when they thought Robb was the ultimate bad ass winning batter after battle he gets his head ripped from his body also.

Now we have the Red Viper in the exact same situation, it will probably feel like just to much for most of them. Something among the lines " yeah we get it life is not fair, but killing every single character that has some good in them is not exactly real life, its more just cheap trills". I could see them loosing fans over Oberyn's death for this exact reason.

I think this is a reasonable point. Some of the people who have replied to you so far have said it's unlikely that people would stop watching the show simply because characters die or because one of their favorites died. And that's true, hopefully. But the point you bring up extends much further--that some of the deaths in the series might come off as relatively empty shock tactics. And I could understand why this would turn people off. They really might draw a conclusion like, "Oh, yeah, this is that show where they kill one of the important 'good guys' every ninth episode to keep viewers guessing."

To be honest, reading one of GRRM's interviews, I got a similar feeling. When asked about plotting the Red Wedding, he responded about why it had to happen by saying:

"I’ve said in many interviews that I like my fiction to be unpredictable. I like there to be considerable suspense. I killed Ned in the first book and it shocked a lot of people. I killed Ned because everybody thinks he’s the hero and that, sure, he’s going to get into trouble, but then he’ll somehow get out of it. The next predictable thing is to think his eldest son is going to rise up and avenge his father. And everybody is going to expect that. So immediately [killing Robb] became the next thing I had to do."

That seems like a shockingly shallow explanation of why to do something. Based on this description, some of Martin's choices seem to be not so much about strong narrative and craft as they are simply about doing what's unexpected. And there's something to be said for doing what's unexpected. But it has to be backed up by craft.

Now, personally, I've stuck with the books and the show because I think there's far more to it than that. This might not have been a very good interview, for whatever reason, and, to be honest, the rich complexity of his characters and world points to far more intelligent design than one that just automatically affords ultimate value to what's shocking or unexpected.

Still, if I were imagining a reader who didn't yet have any context about the Dorne plot in the books and how Oberyn's death functions in relation to that plot, I really could understand how a viewer might see Oberyn's death as a final straw. The ratings may keep climbing, but that doesn't mean a couple viewers with legitimate concerns wouldn't turn their backs on it.

Will it actually be good for tv fans? The Starks in the first 3 seasons were thrown in the viewers face as the good guys. Then then they saw first Ned get decapitated, and just when they thought Robb was the ultimate bad ass winning batter after battle he gets his head ripped from his body also.

Now we have the Red Viper in the exact same situation, it will probably feel like just to much for most of them. Something among the lines " yeah we get it life is not fair, but killing every single character that has some good in them is not exactly real life, its more just cheap trills". I could see them loosing fans over Oberyn's death for this exact reason.

Wonder what their reactions'll be when they *think* Davos has been decapitated and Brienne gets hanged :O

ETA: I think there'll be some fan happiness with Tywin's and Shae's deaths, and also the reappearance of LS, and Jon being LC. These moments will appease them.

Frey Pies, on 28 May 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

I'm also really excited for that. No more 5 year waits for story progression!

It will be interesting, when all is done, to see which of the two was the superior version of the story.

imagine when people say "that sob martin changed the line from the show. he's just assassinating (insert name here)'s character. that's not right.

To offset having to see Oberyn die, hopefully they show the Mountain in agony after. Check in on that every so often.

We're probably only going to get one post duel Mountain scene though. Which is find with me.

Archived