[Book Spoilers] The Duel

We're probably only going to get one post duel Mountain scene though. Which is find with me.

I meant check in over and over again until the bitter end. He caused so much suffering, I want to see his suffering.

Joffrey's death was over too quickly. All the suffering he caused, and he went out in a few minutes? But the Mountain's death, now that was a death.

I think it possible that Cersei checks on Qyburn's experiments herself during season 5. The show prefers being more straightforward for some things than the books, so it wouldnt surprise me if we were to discover more about what the heck it is that Qyburn does next season.

I think it possible that Cersei checks on Qyburn's experiments herself during season 5. The show prefers being more straightforward for some things than the books, so it wouldnt surprise me if we were to discover more about what the heck it is that Qyburn does next season.

Yeah I'm sure they'll do that. As gross as I'm sure it will be, it will help show just how evil Cersei is - sending him people even though she knows what will happen to them.

Hey, the TV show has twisted the plot enough around to the point where Oberyn could win....That is good Oberyn has a greater well of character development than Gregor will ever have...but I suppose I'm whistling against the wind here and for once the TV show will follow the plot of books...

Hey, again as far as fighting goes I would suggest pretty much any episode of Starz Spartacus outdoes anything so far that has been on GoT....

Twisted the plot? It's nigh on identical. Stop exaggerating plz.

Spartacus had more lulz than anything I've seen before but it was so cheap it couldn't possibly compare to a GOT fight.

yea this scene was so awesome and this is by far the best mountain

That Mountain was actually in Spartacus too...huge guy, real fighter too...guess he got busy doing other stuff in the last 3 yrs...but i agree, really wish they got him back....more and more i hear about how agile and quick this new Mountain is...i hope all the hype is justified, the mountain from S1 was a bit clunky and slow, though i suspect that was cuz of the heavy armor...the Viper would be dancing in circles around that guy with that speed :bowdown:

I know it's not a duel, but I would love to see The showdown at the Tower of Joy on screen. 7 northmen (incl. young Ned Stark and Howland Reed) vs 3 kingsguard (Arthur Dayne!!, Oswell Whent and Gerold Hightower).

Epic!

I know it's not a duel, but I would love to see The showdown at the Tower of Joy on screen. 7 northmen (incl. young Ned Stark and Howland Reed) vs 3 kingsguard (Arthur Dayne!!, Oswell Whent and Gerold Hightower).

Epic!

Would be quite possibly the greatest thing that could ever happen to any of us.

Epic!

I would love to see that for many reasons but it just won't happen. Ned was considerably younger at that time so Sean Bean would probably have to be recast for the scene and no one would know any of the characters. Plus, if they show the fight outside the tower, they're pretty much obligated to show a little of what happens inside the tower and that's still one of the biggest mysteries to book readers.

Twisted the plot? It's nigh on identical. Stop exaggerating plz.

Spartacus had more lulz than anything I've seen before but it was so cheap it couldn't possibly compare to a GOT fight.

I agree, Spartacus's combat scenes were laughable. They were too flashy and flamboyant to be taken seriously. The only time I've seen the fight choreographers totally fail us is the three man "seige" of Yunkai. Otherwise, all the fights have been realistic and retain a sense of urgency.

I would love to see that for many reasons but it just won't happen. Ned was considerably younger at that time so Sean Bean would probably have to be recast for the scene and no one would know any of the characters. Plus, if they show the fight outside the tower, they're pretty much obligated to show a little of what happens inside the tower and that's still one of the biggest mysteries to book readers.

I think it's something that could potentially be shown toward the end of the series through one of Bran's tree visions; perhaps when we find out Jon Snow's true lineage.

I don't expect it to happen, but it would certainly be awesome.

I see what you're saying, and I'm pointing out that people said literally the exact same thing about the Red Wedding before it happened. The only difference between what you're saying now and what they said then is that there's one more dead person now. And tbh if anyone expected to make it through the rest of Game of Thrones without anyone else they like dying... they've clearly learned nothing. But people aren't going to stop watching because of it. Imagine how silly someone would look, 4 seasons into Game of Thrones, saying "I'm not watching anymore because they killed someone I like".

I do think it's a valid concern, that some tv only fans may reach a breaking point. It won't be because GOT killed off someone they like, it would be because, in their minds, it seems that is all the show does, kill off characters that are liked, over and over again. I've seen people drop series mid flow for the silliest of reasons, this would be more understandable, I think. I'm not saying I agree with it, but 4 seasons in some may feel that it's just more than they care to handle for purely entertainment purposes.

The "people will stop watching the show because too many of their favorite characters are dying" holds as much weight as the argument for people who would theoretically stop reading the books for the same reason.

Do you know of ANYONE who just stopped reading the books after they found out characters died? No? Well then why would the TV audience be any different?

Related: Book readers who make awesome threats like "If they do/don't show this on the television program and ruin/whitewash/omit/don't give agency to/butcher etc.etc my favourite character, then I'm done with this show". Then the show does exactly this and the same poster's back the following week bitching about what they always bitch about but still clearly watching the show religiously. Empty, empty threats.

Also related: Book readers who say they aren't going to continue watching the show after it passes the books. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. Good luck with that, I'm sure you'll follow through on this. Talk to you when we're there and see where your conviction's at.

While I don't personally know anyone that stopped the books for reasons such as this, I do know someone whose family member did so.....and it was during ASOS. The thing that's important to remember here is that people do tend to drop tv shows much more often than they do a series of books.

Luckily, the ratings have risen so much this season, if I understand correctly, that I doubt the show will take a huge hit. We may have hit the high point with ratings, though, this season. That is a distinct possibility.

ETA and in relation to the related: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

For some reason, I really want them to keep the part with Tyrion throwing up after Oberyn dies. It's the ultimate "Now I'm fucked" capper. They probably won't keep it in but I hope they do.

Me too, cause as I read that part, I pretty much felt gut punched and ready to puke myself. I love how GRRM used the earlier duel in book 1 to set up the gut wrenching shock that this duel ends in. Briliant!

I disagree with the people who were happy with Tywin's death. It's awesome only because of who does it, but I admired Tywin's character and thought he added a lot.

I liked Tywin's character (in that he was intelligent and interesting). Charles Dance made me like Tywin even more.

But I was excited at his death in the books because...it meant Cersei was going to be defenseless. As much as her dad used her, he also protected her. And I hate her (book cersei) with a passion. I was actually reading a bit of Dance the other night (the chapters where she was dealing with confinement and then her walk of shame)...and I actuallly started to feel bad for her for about five seconds. I then chided myself for feeling that way. I think the show made me sympathize with her more due to her Robert scene in season one as well as many scenes after that. And I hate that they hid her shittiness to the world of non-readers, although they are probably about to see her fucked up side.

Can't wait for the last several episodes, that's for sure!

I'll admit I did fling my copy of ASOS across the room after the Red Wedding. But it wasn't because of Robb's and Cat's deaths. It was the fact that Arya was inches away from reuniting with her family before they were brutally murdered. And the fact that at the time, I thought that the Hound had killed Arya as well.

Archived