[Book Spoilers] The Duel

The pacing of cuts tears the content to pieces, is the thing. You can't treat a guy with a two meter sword and another with an 8 foot spear as if they're punching one another -- room is needed for the weapons. And yes, while I hate the wushu acrobatics as a concept for Dornish fighting, in practice it was terrible for the fight because all of those stunts were from a stunt double, meaning they had to resort to various techniques to hide it -- like those crane shots way up in the air that basically just pull you way out so you can't see much of anything.

Bad decisions lead to poor content, basically.

I'll do a proper count tomorrow, as prep for our video review.

^ This, I felt the editing and cuts was a bit off...

The biggest mistake in the scene I feel is making the Mountain Jason Voorhees, lying motionless and then having catlike reflexes. In the book he was pinned and struggling, though clearly a dead man, and it makes the mistake Oberyn made even more hubris.

I loved the choreography of the fight scene. But I will echo others sentiments about the excessive cuts and reaction shots. If I were to give the Duel a score of 10 I would probably give it a 9. The editing, while jarring at times, wasn't enough to detract from the overall fight.

They pulled it off well, loved that Oberyns squire before the fight was rubbing his spear-head with what looked like a wet/poison cloth!

Loved how graphic it was. Thank you Pedro Pascal for a great performance as one of my favorite characters from the book!

I think they did a fantastic job.

1. I was urked that Prince Oberyn did not have a helmet, even a half helm or a shield, and why didn't Ser Gregor have a shield?

2. I liked the fact that he played up to the crowd and he was fast, rapid fast.

3. Again, he was cocky and foolish and that cost him his life.

4. I liked the fact that they kept the dialogue pretty close to the books. They didn't change too much and that was my biggest fear, they didn't do a, "Your Sister" to us.

Great job overall, great season, I imagined more blood from Ser Gregor as he didn't have much leaking out, but Prince Oberyn, "You win or you die." and he lost.!

It was good. The "You raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children" line was really good towards the end. Not so much at the start. I wish they had the line from the books where he tells the Mountain that if he dies without confessing then he'd hunt him through all seven hells or something like that. That was one of the most epic lines ever.

Man, that was hard to watch. I Read the books and knew what was coming, but seeing one of my favorite character die like that, gee, pretty brutal. The Grey Worm / Missandei thing there was just filler and I wished it never happened. Still, I believe this was my favorite ep this season.

The pacing of cuts tears the content to pieces, is the thing. You can't treat a guy with a two meter sword and another with an 8 foot spear as if they're punching one another -- room is needed for the weapons. And yes, while I hate the wushu acrobatics as a concept for Dornish fighting, in practice it was terrible for the fight because all of those stunts were from a stunt double, meaning they had to resort to various techniques to hide it -- like those crane shots way up in the air that basically just pull you way out so you can't see much of anything.

Bad decisions lead to poor content, basically.

I'll do a proper count tomorrow, as prep for our video review.

While I will agree that the scene did leave an entirely different feel than in the books, I would argue vehemently that it wasn't successful in portraying the fight. I watch the show with a bunch of people unfamiliar with the books, and tonight, I had a house full of people with their mouths dropped open in awe and horror.

I even heard one person say that he thought it might be his favorite sword fight. Now, I am in agreement with you about Rob Roy just to let you know, but this fight was incredibly successful. It just captured it on a meta level rather than the micro level that you were looking for.

I liked all the reaction shots, especially Jaime, you could just read him. "Holy shit, this guy DOES deserve his nickname.. Tyrion has this in the bag."

Hahaha I loved Jaime's smirk. He was thinking holy fuck this guy is entertaining.

the scene was well done and if I hadn't read the boks I would have said it was amazing...i woud have liked to have seen the black liquid on the viper's blade though

We saw his squire smear something onto the spear before the fight started.

We saw his squire smear something onto the spear before the fight started.

I'm not really a complainer but I would have liked to have seen them focus on why he is called the red viper a little more, they had the opportunity in the cell, when Tyrion said, well he is called the red viper, you don't get that name for nothing.

Archived