[Book Spoilers] The Duel

My favorite bit is the look of shock and very real fear on Oberyn’s face and that he struggles in vain for his life when the Mountain grabs him right at the end. The Red Viper easily could be portrayed as an unwavering defiant caricature of vengeful wrath right up to the end and probably has been before, however this cartoonist gives us something rather different and in my opinion considerably more interesting. Their Oberyn Martell is suddenly confronted with the price he is going to have pay for the confession and vengeance for his murdered sister and realises in the last seconds of his life that he really doesn’t want to pay that price…

…but it is already too late!

Damn, that is beautifully written. I'd love for them to show the fear in his eyes in this moment.

What are everybody's thoughts on Tyrion laughing at the end of the duel? As much as I want to hear that haunting, maniacal laugh, I doubt the show will include it. TV Tyrion is quite different from book Tyrion, and it may seem out of character for him to fall into that same fit of hysterics.

What are everybody's thoughts on Tyrion laughing at the end of the duel? As much as I want to hear that haunting, maniacal laugh, I doubt the show will include it. TV Tyrion is quite different from book Tyrion, and it may seem out of character for him to fall into that same fit of hysterics.

I'm one of the few people who is not a fan of Dinklage's overacting - I thought what he did during the trial was waaaaay too much. I do adore him when he is being subtle, like in Tysha's story scene or just last ep with Oberyn. So I'm hoping we get the latter in ep.8 not laughing thing. Just an utter horror of the realization that his last chance is gone.

Going back for a second whether Oberyn will win/survive, I don't see them doing that at all, it's so much better with him dying. Setting him as this greatest badass on the planet's surface who is on an epic revenge-trip and then killing him off in his first fight due to his own fault..,. it's just too good. Changing it would be ruining it.

Will it actually be good for tv fans? The Starks in the first 3 seasons were thrown in the viewers face as the good guys. Then then they saw first Ned get decapitated, and just when they thought Robb was the ultimate bad ass winning batter after battle he gets his head ripped from his body also.

Now we have the Red Viper in the exact same situation, it will probably feel like just to much for most of them. Something among the lines " yeah we get it life is not fair, but killing every single character that has some good in them is not exactly real life, its more just cheap trills". I could see them loosing fans over Oberyn's death for this exact reason.

I'm one of the few people who is not a fan of Dinklage's overacting - I thought what he did during the trial was waaaaay too much. I do adore him when he is being subtle, like in Tysha's story scene or just last ep with Oberyn. So I'm hoping we get the latter in ep.8 not laughing thing. Just an utter horror of the realization that his last chance is gone.

Interesting. I do think Dinklage has a tendency to overact (most noticeably in the trial scene, as you mentioned) but I believe that him laughing at the end of ep 8 would absolutely MAKE the episode. Those chilling, maniacal cackles would confirm just how ****ed Tyrion is.

Interesting. I do think Dinklage has a tendency to overact (most noticeably in the trial scene, as you mentioned) but I believe that him laughing at the end of ep 8 would absolutely MAKE the episode. Those chilling, maniacal cackles would confirm just how ****ed Tyrion is.

Sure, anything can work if they pull it off :) Someone mentioned the similarity to Breaking Bad's Crawl Space episode but hey, it's not like BrBa has monopoly on a scene like that.

Either way I'm sure the ending to the ep will be incredible whatever they do.

I need

Elia of Dorne. I killed her screaming whelp. Then I raped her. Then I smashed her fucking head in. Like this.

Most visceral death in the series.

The then you emboldened is such an important part of that quote. It's the final insult. I'm not usually too pedantic about the show copying the books word for word, but on this occasion I will be disappointed if we don't get an exact replication of that line.

Sure, anything can work if they pull it off :) Someone mentioned the similarity to Breaking Bad's Crawl Space episode but hey, it's not like BrBa has monopoly on a scene like that.

Either way I'm sure the ending to the ep will be incredible whatever they do.

Couldn't have said it better. D and D sound really proud of their version of the scene, and I have full confidence they will do it justice. The next episode can't come sooner :drool: :)

Will it actually be good for tv fans? The Starks in the first 3 seasons were thrown in the viewers face as the good guys. Then then they saw first Ned get decapitated, and just when they thought Robb was the ultimate bad ass winning batter after battle he gets his head ripped from his body also.

Now we have the Red Viper in the exact same situation, it will probably feel like just to much for most of them. Something among the lines " yeah we get it life is not fair, but killing every single character that has some good in them is not exactly real life, its more just cheap trills". I could see them loosing fans over Oberyn's death for this exact reason.

People were saying the exact same things about the Red Wedding, but the ratings have continued to go up in spite of all the good guys suffering. And considering they killed off the major villain of the series, I don't think anyone can rightly accuse the series of only having the good guys die.

(Also, anyone who responds to deaths with anything like "i get it, life isn't fair" is kind of ridiculous, since his death isn't there to beat some notion of life's unfairness into our heads; it actually serves a function in the plot; a far-cry from "cheap thrills")

People were saying the exact same things about the Red Wedding, but the ratings have continued to go up in spite of all the good guys suffering. And considering they killed off the major villain of the series, I don't think anyone can rightly accuse the series of only having the good guys die.

(Also, anyone who responds to deaths with anything like "i get it, life isn't fair" is kind of ridiculous, since his death isn't there to beat some notion of life's unfairness into our heads; it actually serves a function in the plot; a far-cry from "cheap thrills")

It's not exactly the same situation. In most fans minds, Ned dies ok oh that's real life he dies..his son will avenge him...omg this guy is dead also...then another good guy comes..and another one dies.. see the flow?

It's not exactly the same situation. In most fans minds, Ned dies ok oh that's real life he dies..his son will avenge him...omg this guy is dead also...then another good guy comes..and another one dies.. see the flow?

I see what you're saying, and I'm pointing out that people said literally the exact same thing about the Red Wedding before it happened. The only difference between what you're saying now and what they said then is that there's one more dead person now. And tbh if anyone expected to make it through the rest of Game of Thrones without anyone else they like dying... they've clearly learned nothing. But people aren't going to stop watching because of it. Imagine how silly someone would look, 4 seasons into Game of Thrones, saying "I'm not watching anymore because they killed someone I like".

I wouldn't mind if Tyrion throws up and then looks at Jaime and starts laughing like a maniac. But I do worry if it will work or not.

The "people will stop watching the show because too many of their favorite characters are dying" holds as much weight as the argument for people who would theoretically stop reading the books for the same reason.

Do you know of ANYONE who just stopped reading the books after they found out characters died? No? Well then why would the TV audience be any different?

Related: Book readers who make awesome threats like "If they do/don't show this on the television program and ruin/whitewash/omit/don't give agency to/butcher etc.etc my favourite character, then I'm done with this show". Then the show does exactly this and the same poster's back the following week bitching about what they always bitch about but still clearly watching the show religiously. Empty, empty threats.

Also related: Book readers who say they aren't going to continue watching the show after it passes the books. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. Good luck with that, I'm sure you'll follow through on this. Talk to you when we're there and see where your conviction's at.

Also related: Book readers who say they aren't going to continue watching the show after it passes the books. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. Good luck with that, I'm sure you'll follow through on this. Talk to you when we're there and see where your conviction's at.

I find it so fascinating that we'll get the end of the story in the show before the books. It is a first, if I'm not mistaken. First time an adaptation catches back its source novel. It's gonna be freaking awesome to live that !

I find it so fascinating that we'll get the end of the story in the show before the books. It is a first, if I'm not mistaken. First time an adaptation catches back its source novel. It's gonna be freaking awesome to live that !

I'm also really excited for that. No more 5 year waits for story progression!

It will be interesting, when all is done, to see which of the two was the superior version of the story.

The "people will stop watching the show because too many of their favorite characters are dying" holds as much weight as the argument for people who would theoretically stop reading the books for the same reason.

Do you know of ANYONE who just stopped reading the books after they found out characters died? No? Well then why would the TV audience be any different?

Related: Book readers who make awesome threats like "If they do/don't show this on the television program and ruin/whitewash/omit/don't give agency to/butcher etc.etc my favourite character, then I'm done with this show". Then the show does exactly this and the same poster's back the following week bitching about what they always bitch about but still clearly watching the show religiously. Empty, empty threats.

Personally, I don't see anyone quitting the show until either Dany, Tyrion or Arya are killed off.

Will be interesting to see how unsullied react to Jon Snow's moment next season.

I'm looking forward to the Viper and Mountain showdown - have for a while! Great matchup in sheer brawn and raw strength vs speed and agility.

Frankly, my best (and most short-lived) fight in GoT was Daario Naharis taking down Meereen's champion on typical badass fashion.

Favorite fight scene on TV or movie - Hector vs. Achilles in Troy movie.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people continue to make this prediction, and how every single year the ratings are higher than they were before.

Archived