Lies of Locke Lamora Contest!

Scott Lynch

Sadly no characters... yet. Although Arya is on my list for sometime in the future.

That's gonna be one kickass pet. :D

Oh, and I was wondering, is the cat in your avatar one of your cats? It's adorable.

I miss my cat. He ran away and eloped with some kitty (or became RK)

Especially since we started drinking absinthe after many of those inexpensive Czech beers. . .

Led to anecdotes that we didn't necessarily tell everyone! ;)

That's only because you can't remember what actually happened in any of them :P

That's gonna be one kickass pet. :D

Oh, and I was wondering, is the cat in your avatar one of your cats? It's adorable.

I miss my cat. He ran away and eloped with some kitty (or became RK)

Arya's my favorite character, so I certainly hope that any pet named after her will be :P

As far as the Avatar, sadly everything that I tried the other day didn't work for me so no, it's not one of ours. :( Scott's going to help me fix it one of these days. I've got a few of the Loki kitty that I use on Livejournal, and a few I need to make of the other pets.

I'm sorry about your keetom. :( RK?

3. 0.01 volumes of 2-mercaptoethanol (for that certain je ne sais quoi)

4. 0.5 volumes of Fetal bovine serum

5. Add SYBR Green PCR Buffer to taste

:ack:

goddamn -- we used to call beta-mercaptoethanol-containing solutions "stinky buffer." As in "Gimme 3 mL of Old Stinky, please. I got proteins to denature."

ETA: Jenn/Scott -- you'll get your recipes soon. I had to fly out to CA for my gran's funeral, and won't be back in NYC until Saturday.

Scott/Jenn - can you get Tuaca where you are? It's a lovely lovely liqueur but I know it's hard to get hold of in England (outside of Brighton, anyway) so maybe it hasn't made it over to the Midwest yet...

Whenever you guys drink the winning recipe, you just have to have an appropriate toast.

Namely, you should do a variation of the one on page 100 of the U.S. edition of the book:

SPOILER: excerpt

"I only steal because my dear old family needs the money to live!"

Locke Lamora made this proclamation with his wineglass held high; he and the other Gentleman Bastards were seated at the old witchwood table in the opulent burrow beneath the House of Perelandro; Calo and Galdo on his right, Jean and Bug on his left. A huge spread of food was set before them, and the celestial chandelier swung overhead with its familiar golden light. The others began to jeer.

"Liar!" They chorused in unison.

"I only steal because this wicked world won't let me work an honest trade!" Calo cried, hoisting his own glass.

"Liar!"

"I only steal because I have to support my poor lazy twin brother, whose indolence broke our mother's heart!" Galdo elbowed Calo as he made this announcement.

"Liar!"

"I only steal," said Jean, "because I've temporarily fallen in with bad company."

"Liar!"

At last the ritual came to Bug; the boy raised his glass a bit shakily and yelled, "I only steal because it's heaps of fucking fun!"

"BASTARD!"

That would probably be the greatest thing ever. Of course, it would have to be improvised to be done properly. ;)

I'd have to say that Absinthe is a 'no' where I live. ;)

That's a shame. Would have certainly sufficed for the Bastard part of the drink. I was considering a layered drink (like a Mind Eraser) with three layers for the "Liars" in the GB toast, and Absinthe playing the role of the "Bastard."

Really really dumb question...but is that e-mail address missing a part...?

No. Worked for me.

(On the basis of that reply, I have just been described as "so non-snarky" by Xray. :unsure:)

Archived