Would the Targaryens have won against Robert if Mace Tyrell had been at the Trident?

paramount

Think about it. The Tyrells could muster a host of nearly 100 000 and are by far have the most powerful military force of the Seven kingdoms.

From Jorah we hear that Rhaegar had 40 000 at the Trident along with 10 000 Dornishmen.

Mace Tyrell was not the best miliatry commander but that was by far made up to by his number of troops and capable bannermen. Randyll Tarly had already defeated Robert at Ashford and his liege was Mace Tyrell.

Mace Tyrell also had the Redwyne fleet which could transport men to the Trident. This combined with the fact that Robert's navy was non existent. The lords backing Robert weren't even loyal take Walder Frey for an example who did not come to the Trident until Robert had won.

• 2 months later...

Yes. No question. I cant believe Rhaegar, or someone else, ordered Mace to send troops to the Trident. They did not need that many troops at SE.

I believe there's an SSM (too tired to find it) saying that there were soldiers from the Reach present at the Trident. However, I can see why Mace would want to keep most of his men rested and waiting at Storm's End rather than completely invested to the north. Should the rebels beat the loyalists, he emerges relatively unscathed. Should the loyalists win, he's still assisted them in his own way, and in both cases he's strong enough to be a threat not worth troubling.

I believe it would probably lead to a Targaryen victory (sheer numbers, skilled commanders like Randyll Tarly, etc.) Robert would have been slain in Rhaegars' place and the rebellion would have been brought to an abrupt end. However, the mad King was mad and no-one forgot what he did to the Starks. I think he would've called for the heads of rebel leaders (Ned Stark, Jon Arryn, Hoster Tully) and caused another rebellion. Possibly in support of the current rightful King Stannis the Mannis

I believe there's an SSM (too tired to find it) saying that there were soldiers from the Reach present at the Trident. However, I can see why Mace would want to keep most of his men rested and waiting at Storm's End rather than completely invested to the north. Should the rebels beat the loyalists, he emerges relatively unscathed. Should the loyalists win, he's still assisted them in his own way, and in both cases he's strong enough to be a threat not worth troubling.

Interesting. I did not know that the Tyrells/the reach had soldiers at the Trident. However I don't understand that the crown allowed Mace to take such a posistion. They should have (at least tried) demanded that they send more soldiers (perhaps all, and just abandon SE- which would mostly just be a moral victory).

Interesting. I did not know that the Tyrells/the reach had soldiers at the Trident. However I don't understand that the crown allowed Mace to take such a posistion. They should have (at least tried) demanded that they send more soldiers (perhaps all, and just abandon SE- which would mostly just be a moral victory).

Partly, but remeber that if they took Storm''s End Robert would be in the same situation as Robb was after the Ironborn took Winterfell and invaded the North. His credibility would be seriously hurt if he couldn't defend his own lands. Likewise a captured Storm's End would give the Targaryens two valuable hostages in the form of Stannis and Renly.

Archived