Human Chess Match, WorldCon 06

From Blackfyre Heir's original post:

Greetings my fellow Brothers and Sisters of the BwB!

Since Lodey recently posted the Volunteer thread for Worldcon and since we have less than 6 months before the con, I thought it would be a good idea to inform all of you about our plans for the Human Chess Match and explain a bit of the process. First though, I would like to answer the biggest question I have received from several boarders about the match itself.

Why a Human Chess Match?

Many have asked why we decided to organize a human chess match for this years Worldcon. Besides GRRM being an avid chess player that directed chess tournaments, the most basic explanation is its something he has wanted to do for quite some time. He has attended several different matches over the last few years and has expressed great interest in playing and controlling one himself. Additionally, this years Worldcon will have over 100 BwB members in attendence. The biggest BwB gathering ever will be on hand to help coordinate, participate, celebrate, and enjoy one of their favorite authors past times.

Now, about the Chess Match itself. The match is tentatively scheduled for Sunday at 1. Below is all the information I could think of. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to reply to this post or send a PM.

The Theme of the Chess Match and the "Pieces"

The theme of the chess match will go along with that of the theme for Worldcon and the party Saturday night. Highgarden will be "waging war" with its most hated enemy and neighbor, Dorne. The match is set in the world of Westeros as we currently know it.

The pieces selected are as follows:

Highgarden

King - Mace Tyrell - RaceBannon42

Queen - Olenna Tyrell, the "Queen of Thorns" - Odie

Bishop - Garth the Gross - Kalbear

Bishop - Maester Goremon - Mormont

Knight - Loras Tyrell - Prod

Knight - Randyl Tarly - Ser Paddy (if he's ok with it :P)

Castle - Left - Mr. X

Castle - Right - Ser Sean

Pawns - Squires (with short swords) or Men at Arms (with maces). - Padraig, Maid Sansa, Mandy, Maltaran, Veira, Zakalwe7, Sophelia, 1 spot open!!!

Dorne

King - Doran Martell (in a wheelchair) - Stego

Queen - Arianne Martell - Chataya

Bishop - Maester Caelotte - Davos

Bishop - Seneschal Ricasso- XRaytheEnforcer

Knight - Red Viper, Oberyn Martell - RAN!!!!!!!

Knight - Gerald Dayne - Aoife

Castle - Aero Hotah - Lothor Apple Eater

Castle - Ellaria Sand - Linda!!!!!

Pawns - Sand Snakes - Lany Cassandra, Rhelley, Mich, Mak, Coyote's Daughter, Balefont, Skylark, Melisandres Twisted Sister

How many people will be selected?

We will choose thirty-two chess piece participants who will be active on the chessboard. Each participant will need to prepare an ellaborate special attack. We will also need two MC's/voice-overs, two photographers, and one videographer.

How are applicants selected?

First, we are asking for people who are 100% or �⦣8218;?Ŧ#8220;Probable�⦣8218;?� in attending to sign up for a position you would like, and more importantly, will be able to follow through and do. To keep things as fair and unbiased as possible, Ran will be hosting a drawing process that puts the names of those interested in a particular part into a batch. The computer then randomly selects the people using a "shuffle" type function. Those chosen will then be notified via email by Ran and the final list will be posted on the boards. Those interested in submitting an entry need to reply to this thread with the position they would like to play. You can apply for any position listed as long as you fall within that gender. You can apply for more than one position. Applicants will be required to make a costume that matches what the character from the books would wear. Don't let this hinder you from applying. If you need help in this area, please PM or email me.

How does the role-play work on stage?

On stage, you will follow the directions of the chess players (GRRM and friend) and voice-overs. There will be no role-playing involving dialogue, because it is impossible to provide microphones to everyone on the stage. Only physical movement will be visible and there will be no scripted or unscripted banter possible between the participants. Please keep this in mind when submitting applications. You will be able to interact with other characters in pantomime only. If you are selected, the chess coordinators will brief you thoroughly by e-mail before the match and help you plan.

Time

Human Chess matches usually run in conventions with a window of one and a half to two hours. Since the length of the game itself is compounded by the performances of the live actors, managing time constraints can be extremely difficult. In order to make sure the event runs within the time limit, we will be using a tournament clock and a variation on 'sudden death' timing rules in which each player has thirty minutes on his or her clock. Each player should punch out on the clock after the human player has finished physically performing the move. In other words, the play progression runs as follows: 1) Make the move on the board, 2) Announce the move, 3) Wait for the player to complete the move, and 4) Punch the clock. This system makes it advantageous for the player to pick a move as quickly as possible.

Objective

The primary goal of Human Chess is to entertain the audience and for all to have fun. It's important to remember that the game isn't a tournament competition, but an opportunity to watch everyone's favorite characters slaughter each other on stage. In order to satisfy a crowd of bloodthirsty congoers, all people involved will need to work together to make the match as exciting as possible. Knowing who the characters are is more important than knowing the finer points of chess strategy.

I would like to thank all of you in advance for helping make GRRM's dream come true. Let's make this event something he will never forget!

Ok, this new thread is to continue the old thread.

This makes it easier for me to update as necessary...plus, Ran told me to. :P

Carry on...

Volunteers?

Just to make sure this doesn't get lost, Malt's post:

I'll volunteer for Right if people think I'm tall enough, although if having Right being six inches shorter than Left is too much of a difference, I'll be a pawn.

So, when is the match scheduled? Friday or Sunday? Seems like I have seen conflicting schedules. I won't be able to do much on Sunday because I have to get to the airport by 1:00-ish. However if it is on Friday... and you are really, really, REALLY short on people, I might be talked into playing. I would need a tunic or whatever... and truly.. I'd prefer to just watch.

Lacy <-- shy person

Okay, a request. I'm happy to do whatever for the costuming as long as it doesn't involve me sewing. Buying on ebay, whatever, all of that's fine. But what the heck does Garth the Gross wear? So far, the idea is that I'll have a green tabard, a pillow underneath my shirt and a big-ass beer stein. Is that acceptable for the position, given that it's supposed to be a 'special' position? If not, what would work,and where can I get it?

ok I have tons of stuff to sort through still but I might have some things that can be used.

I could not find a Rose pin so that is out sorry. Well I can check that out at another store if you reall want the pin. So let me know if you really want it and I will do my best to find it. I found somethings that might work as chains, I also found some real cool earring that would be great for the sand snakes. I was digging for these cool ass snake stuff but I could not find it.

anyway I have alot of sorting to do, then I will take some pics of the stuff I thought might be good. Who should I show the pics too, Mya? BH? I need to make up for 2 days of not working out then I will be sorting this stuff tomorrow. So hopefully will have pics shortly there after. I 5 boxes to go through so this is gonna be lots of fun.

Oh my mom also said she could help me sew anything if anyone needs help with an outfit. (my mom rocks at making costumes, she has done them for plays and is sewing 3 outfits for a movie that will be at Sundance) So let me know ASAP if anyone needs help!

ok I have tons of stuff to sort through still but I might have some things that can be used.

I could not find a Rose pin so that is out sorry. Well I can check that out at another store if you reall want the pin. So let me know if you really want it and I will do my best to find it. I found somethings that might work as chains, I also found some real cool earring that would be great for the sand snakes. I was digging for these cool ass snake stuff but I could not find it.

anyway I have alot of sorting to do, then I will take some pics of the stuff I thought might be good. Who should I show the pics too, Mya? BH? I need to make up for 2 days of not working out then I will be sorting this stuff tomorrow. So hopefully will have pics shortly there after. I 5 boxes to go through so this is gonna be lots of fun.

Oh my mom also said she could help me sew anything if anyone needs help with an outfit. (my mom rocks at making costumes, she has done them for plays and is sewing 3 outfits for a movie that will be at Sundance) So let me know ASAP if anyone needs help!

GC: Could you please send me the pics? Either email them to [email protected], or PM them to me on the boards.

I totally appreciate the help on the costumes...I'll get a list together of those who need help with costumes and let you know, is that cool? How many costumes is too much? Give me a limit, otherwise I'm afraid I'll send you 32 people. :P

On the jewelery, did you happen to find any arm bands in the shape of snakes? If so, please let me know. I'll be happy to buy those for the snakes.

And one last thing: Are you a piece? Would you like to be one? :P

ATTENTION PLAYERS:

Anyone who needs costume help, please PM me ASAP.

:) Thank you!

Okay, a request. I'm happy to do whatever for the costuming as long as it doesn't involve me sewing. Buying on ebay, whatever, all of that's fine. But what the heck does Garth the Gross wear? So far, the idea is that I'll have a green tabard, a pillow underneath my shirt and a big-ass beer stein. Is that acceptable for the position, given that it's supposed to be a 'special' position? If not, what would work,and where can I get it?

Kal, let me sleep on that. I'll get back to you tomorrow. :)

um ok 30 + might be a bit much but under 10 might be ok. Even better if they were the same thing but just different sizes.

I have thought about being a piece but I would not have a clue what to do.

I looked for the snake arm bands, she used to sell them but no luck.

Ok once I get those sorted I will send the pics to you

I could not find a Rose pin so that is out sorry. Well I can check that out at another store if you reall want the pin. So let me know if you really want it and I will do my best to find it.

Np, gc: I'll find something. :)

Re: costumes, it might be good if everyone participating so far note what costume they have/intend to have/hope to have, so that those who haven't quite gotten so far might get some ideas or inspiration. ;)

Well, I have a grey robe with a hood, which will (hopefully) have green trim on the neck and sleeves. Also a chain with links painted different colours. I'm going to add a belt and possibly a brooch to pin the hood, if I can find something green and/or rose related.

Oh, for those wondering at scheduling, presently it's at Sunday at 1 PM. However, there are issues both with the time and the location, and I know Parris and BH are looking into that with the program coordinatior(s).

I'm going for a full-length simple shift-like design, mostly because I won't have time to futz with anything more difficult. Dark hunter green, and if it works, golden roses stamped on it. And probably some kind of gold belt. Oh, and a headpiece to cover my non-white hair.

For Davos I'm looking for a cheep bath robe and some fuzzy slippers. Seriously ;) Mostly because I don't have the time or financial resouces to sew two costumes. I'll probably paint the trim and the belt orange to signify that he's a Dornish piece.

Well, I have a grey robe with a hood, which will (hopefully) have green trim on the neck and sleeves.

It'll have a green trim - I found the spare fabric this morning.

edit - If any of the Sand Snakes want a bullet-point-guide on the use of Spear and Shield just give me a PM.

I didn't even think of that... I have some orange fabric lying around. Don't know if it'll be enough, but I bet I can find enough to glue some on. I mean, this doesn't need to last or anything ;)

Archived