Has the Song of Ice and Fire become more dark as it has proggressed

paramount

So I don't think that FFC was that dark but Dance of Dragons was by the Far the most dark. This has disturbed people who I know have read this book and put them off.

This is the list I would put in order.

Dance with Dragons: The most dark

Clash of Kings:

Storm of Swords:

Game of Thrones:

Feast For Crows:

Feast is pretty dark, actually.

In previous books we're "fuck yeah! Starks!", "fuck yeah, Lannisters!", "fuck yeah, Stannis!". And in Feast we see how the war has completely destroyed the lands and common folk. It gives a sense of guilt or doom.

And I agree, I don't see what's dark in Dance.

I think that Storm was the "darkest". The tear-shedding event of the Red Wedding, the malicious glee of Joffery's death, the morbid and lost-of-hope Tyrion bringing down his father, the murder of Jeor Mormont by his Brothers, Arya's descent into darkness.

Dance seemed more to me a build-up of the darkness that's about to come.

Feast is pretty dark, actually.

In previous books we're "fuck yeah! Starks!", "fuck yeah, Lannisters!", "fuck yeah, Stannis!". And in Feast we see how the war has completely destroyed the lands and common folk. It gives a sense of guilt or doom.

And I agree, I don't see what's dark in Dance.

Agree completely as the title implies we are gonna see the bodies that have piled up as a result of the war.

Feast also has the sacking of Saltpans which is one of the darkest scenes in the whole series.

Well, I don't know if the books per se are getting darker, but some characters certainly are. Tyrion, Arya, Bran, Cat, for example

But obviously Feast is the darkest one because it's got Darkstar (I'll show myself out...)

What about Dance With Dragons when we we witnessed Ramsay Snow's atrocities and mutilations of Reek and torment of Jeyne.

Feast for Crows may be dark but Clash of Kings was worse and so was Storm of Swords. In those two books we saw the Riverlands being burnt down and saw Ayra become affected by it. in Storm of Swords we also saw atrocities that were committed by both Lannister and Stark as well as the Brave Companions.

Also another thing is that the Series fails to show the devastation, atrocities and destruction of the Riverlands which was shown in the books quite well.

Dark clouds have silver linings. Theon is no longer reek. The pit scene with dany was pivotal for the revival of her westeros ambition. Tyrion is close to being in a position of power. Victarion's gonna save the day. Arya's no longer a helpless victim being dragged around by questionable men (people seem to forget her parallels with sansa). Davos isn't dead (yay). Bran can time travel. Jon finally gets to take a nap.

Also another thing is that the Series fails to show the devastation, atrocities and destruction of the Riverlands which was shown in the books quite well.

I think you should re-watch all of arya's scenes from seasons 2-4. It's there in the story, the set design, and the cinematography.

In terms of the darkest mood, grimest events, nightmare fuel and most unpleasant material, the order goes something like this.

1, A Dance with Dragons

2, A Clash of Kings

3, A Storm of Swords

4, A Game of Thrones

5, A Feast for Crows

So yes, I feel that A Dance of Dragons was the bleakest and most disturbing book, with a sense of hopelessness and grimdark atmosphere: Ramsay Bolton and Roose Bolton, Theon's sad tale, Jon Snow being murdered after doing his best to stave of an apocalypse, Bran and companions stuck beyond the wall possible never to return, Asha and Stannis stuck in a snowstorm, Cersei being humiliated while awaiting a trial held by a religous fundamentalist, the bad conditions in Meereen and the percieved hoplessness of her cause, Tyrion's depression, Quentyns pointless demise, the Ironborn wrecking shit, the enternal scheming in the North, in the South, in Slaver's Bay, scheming everywhere... misery and misery.

I don't hate it though.

In terms of the darkest mood, grimest events, nightmare fuel and most unpleasant material, the order goes something like this.

1, A Dance with Dragons

2, A Clash of Kings

3, A Storm of Swords

4, A Game of Thrones

5, A Feast for Crows

So yes, I feel that A Dance of Dragons was the bleakest and most disturbing book, with a sense of hopelessness and grimdark atmosphere: Ramsay Bolton and Roose Bolton, Theon's sad tale, Jon Snow being murdered after doing his best to stave of an apocalypse, Bran and companions stuck beyond the wall possible never to return, Asha and Stannis stuck in a snowstorm, Cersei being humiliated while awaiting a trial held by a religous fundamentalist, the bad conditions in Meereen and the percieved hoplessness of her cause, Tyrion's depression, Quentyns pointless demise, the Ironborn wrecking shit, the enternal scheming in the North, in the South, in Slaver's Bay, scheming everywhere... misery and misery.

I don't hate it though.

that is also my order

Archived