Significance of House Royce

Hippocras

I just thought of something:

If the LF-Tyrell alliance is still actived and headed somewhere as has been strongly hinted in the show and more subtly hinted in the books, then the Royces are a clue to where this might be going.

The Royces may be a roadblock because of Loras's rash actions or...

Lord Royce's son was loyal to Renly as was Loras. Loras killed the son, but likely regrets that very much. He heard about Stannis's shadow from Brienne, and seems to have been persuaded. He may want to make up for his rash slaughter of Lord Royce's son by killing Stannis.

In other words it is possible the Royces are a connection piece in the alliance and not antagonists, unified in a desire to defeat Stannis.

I don't know why Yohn Royce would want to defeat Stannis. Stannis didn't kill his son.

Something has to be up with their sets of Runestone armor, the fact that they are the only people we know of to actually have some kind of use for the written rune language of the First Men, and they are First Men descendants in a predominately Andal area.

They also are one of the Houses with vassal houses attached to them, rather than directly to their liege lords, the Arryns. Probably since they are so old. (Random note - fan favorite Dolorous Edd is from a vassal family to the Arryns).

I think the "magical" armor they inherit will come into play with the Others - people don't seem to believe it actually works, probably because some Royce was killed by a regular human with regular weapons. But for them to really hold on to it, to me, indicates some kind of ancient belief, sort of reminiscent of "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell". You just do it, but for some reason, the people themselves forgot why.

The Rune's & Bronze are also associated with the lost knowledge & magic of the tCotF, maybe not connected but MMD also had a "Bronze leaf shaped knife" covered in runes when she killed Drogo's horse. The dragonhorn is also banded with Bronze & inscribed with runes,

Not sure about the last sentence, ancient belief's & handed down traditions with no memory of why, perhaps yet to be discovered we will have to see.

Unless a female descendant from one of those three daughters has married back into one of the Royces. Though I imagine the generation gap would be too narrow for that.

Actually, I think his blade reflects the white moonlight for a bit, which is what gives the White Walker a pause. So, if anything, he isn't looking for Valyrian steel - he's looking for Dawn.

Here's the quote:

Otherwise, I think you're on the right track here. The runes on the bronze armor are probably some sort of magical protection against the Others. That is, unless the whole thing has a purely ceremonial purpose. I don't think a bronze armor offers any sensible protection against even a common steel sword.

Edit: I just had a thought - what if the Daynes and the Royces are merely the caretakers for the Last Hero's sword and armor?

Your Edit: got lost - I just wanted to refer it & give it a bump to get some insight, I like this theory a lot. sorry correction from the spelling nazi. - Armour.

I don't know why Yohn Royce would want to defeat Stannis. Stannis didn't kill his son.

The Royces have a pretty clear connection to the North. Stannis is in the North and I suspect will prevail over the Boltons. LF has Sansa and is very possibly planning a grab for the North in her name.

The Royces don't have the same motives as the Tyrells, but they can't be all that into Stannis and his blood magic with shadow babies.

Your Edit: got lost - I just wanted to refer it & give it a bump to get some insight, I like this theory a lot. sorry correction from the spelling nazi. - Armour.

I would like it better if the Starks and Daynes had ever inter-bred. But right now there is nothing connecting the Daynes to the North and its magic.

OFF TOPIC.

I appreciate the input, but I think both are correct. The simpler form (armor) is the american spelling, and the longer form (armour) is the british. :)

The Royces have a pretty clear connection to the North. Stannis is in the North and I suspect will prevail over the Boltons. LF has Sansa and is very possibly planning a grab for the North in her name.

The Royces don't have the same motives as the Tyrells, but they can't be all that into Stannis and his blood magic with shadow babies.

They're also connected to the Baratheons. In fact, in the books he went hunting with Robert the day the boar killed him. I doubt he'll be gung ho about killing his friends brother.

I would like it better if the Starks and Daynes had ever inter-bred. But right now there is nothing connecting the Daynes to the North and its magic.

The fact that nothing does connect them could be just as important, & would actually echo Jon's story (presuming R+L=J) of protecting a secret in a way. Also somewhere else it's mentioned by another poster that the son's all go to different parts of the realm. A sort of "divide to protect thing". This may be linked to oral history also.

Let me try & explain what I mean I understand what you are trying to link, perhaps the link is the buried alliances are not meant to be easily re-engaged, here's either a real world or fictional parallel somewhere I just can't recall it off the top of my head.

• A great destruction befalls the world, in desperation the world's peoples are nearly annihilated.

Several conflicting factions eventually come together to defeat the common enemy, each region brings their knowledge/magic to combine to defeat their common foe.

They win the battle but at great cost & only by extreme measures. Separate myths & Legends spring up to keep the story alive.

At the end of the threat there is a shaky alliance, & each faction agrees to separate the knowledge/magic to ensure it can't be used against each other.

Each region has a specific hint or secret to recall the lost knowledge in the future in case it is ever needed again. (Dawn was said to be forged from the heart of a fallen star, we know House Dayne is very, very old.) The bronze & runes of the armour could also indicate either the armour itself or the perpetuation of the legend of the protection of the armour is also apparently quite old. "There must always be a stark in WF")

However thousand's of years have now passed, & each region/house has important parts of the puzzle, but the root knowledge is either lost or deeply hidden in oral history & urban myth.

OFF TOPIC.

I appreciate the input, but I think both are correct. The simpler form (armor) is the american spelling, and the longer form (armour) is the british. :)

sorry I'm Australian, we use British spelling :cheers:

But if that were the case, the Royces and Starks would not have inter-married so much.

Willam Stark's daughter married a Royce, Artos Stark married Lorra Royce, and his mother's name was also Lorra Royce - Beron's wife.

But if that were the case, the Royces and Starks would not have inter-married so much.

Willam Stark's daughter married a Royce, Artos Stark married Lorra Royce, and his mother's name was also Lorra Royce - Beron's wife.

sorry are you referring to my last post?

To clarify, each local region would have some knowledge but it's been lost, remembering reading & writing was not commonplace except the nobility & they charged their Maester's to keep the written histories. People like Old Nan relying on the oral histories.

Also including the land's beyond the Narrow Sea & their myths & legends. "Ghost Grass" different take on the same theme? It is Salahdor Saan who tells Davos of the myth of Lightbringer.

<p>

The fact that nothing does connect them could be just as important, & would actually echo Jon's story (presuming R+L=J) of protecting a secret in a way. Also somewhere else it's mentioned by another poster that the son's all go to different parts of the realm. A sort of "divide to protect thing". This may be linked to oral history also.

Let me try & explain what I mean I understand what you are trying to link, perhaps the link is the buried alliances are not meant to be easily re-engaged, here's either a real world or fictional parallel somewhere I just can't recall it off the top of my head.

• A great destruction befalls the world, in desperation the world's peoples are nearly annihilated.
  • Several conflicting factions eventually come together to defeat the common enemy, each region brings their knowledge/magic to combine to defeat their common foe.
  • They win the battle but at great cost & only by extreme measures. Separate myths & Legends spring up to keep the story alive.
  • At the end of the threat there is a shaky alliance, & each faction agrees to separate the knowledge/magic to ensure it can't be used against each other.
  • Each region has a specific hint or secret to recall the lost knowledge in the future in case it is ever needed again. (Dawn was said to be forged from the heart of a fallen star, we know House Dayne is very, very old.) The bronze & runes of the armour could also indicate either the armour itself or the perpetuation of the legend of the protection of the armour is also apparently quite old. "There must always be a stark in WF")
  • However thousand's of years have now passed, & each region/house has important parts of the puzzle, but the root knowledge is either lost or deeply hidden in oral history & urban myth.

I like the idea that each major house or region of westeros has a part to play in defeating the others. Each different region brings there own special ability or weapons but after this civil war will/can they all put aside their differences and join together?

And what will each region bring to the party??

...I think the Royces are being set up for becoming the North's main ally....and not only because they are currently in the Vale with Sansa.

"We Remember" echoes "The North Remembers" and even somewhat, I'd guess "Winter is Coming". "The North Remembers" is of course a folk saying, these are not house words, but it seems to me they could very well be connected to the Long Night (we remember the dangers, we remember Winter...or is it we remember the Pact?) In any case, I see them as connected to "Winter is coming"... I believe it's pretty important that the Royce have First Men heritage; and their house words seem to reflect that much...also, Edwyle Stark’s sister married a Royce from the cadet branch; at least two more Royces married Starks, too.

The fact that Waymar Royce was killed by WW in the first prologue, seems pretty important all things considered. Yohn Royce might be persuaded more easily than most to lend a hand to the KitN or NW; if indeed WW breach the wall.

Also, the runes armor -- we don't know of course what exactly it is; but runes are also found on Mance's horn etc. I don't think these runes are the same as Valyrian ones...but rather First Men/Old tongue runes.

That Loras killed Robar is imo, something to look out for....also, the Royce's have ties to the Freys! Perra Royce was Lord Walder's first wife, mother of Stevron (who was an alright man, iirc.)...And Catelyn murdered Jiglebell; Stevron's son...

Perra Royce was Lord Walder's first wife, mother of Stevron (who was an alright man, iirc.)...

...whose son Ryman and grandson Black Walder, however, are not alright at all. :D

I used to think that the Rosby branch of the Freys were ok, but it turns out that Perwyn, Olyvar and Roslin had a brother (Benfrey) who was one of the RW conspirators.

Anyway, I don't mean to delay the thread. The Royces do have ties to Freys - as do the Waynwoods. In fact, I think at least Anya has a couple of Frey wards in her household. I don't know if Yohn has some, though.

Archived