Will the iron throne be melted down or destroyed?

xpozed

I know it's one of the most important themes and symbols of the game of thrones and westeros in general but that would be a twist like no other.

Here's my theory:

The Iron Throne represents conquest and is tied together with the ideea of the game of thrones but it is mainly a symbol of the Targaryan rule.Therefore any other house that wants to solidify his/her claim as king/queen might want to sever all ties to the Targ period.

The last book (possibly) of the series will be called A Dream of Spring. Spring means change so i think it would be unfitting for all this great journey(of ice and fire) to come full circle to another Targ rule.To the argument of the prophecy of TPTWP we've been hinted at many times that prophecies should not be taken literally and not all parts happen.

I'm expecting to see some drastic changes done to the land like the breaking of the wall or the hammer of waters or maybe something simmilar to what happened in Old Valyria.That could result in a reforging of the continent into something completly new ( westeros split in half at the neck or the addition of the deep north). And in my oppinion this new land will require a new symbol.Destroying the Iron throne ( the old ways) and bringing in some thing new sounds fitting.

Please share your oppinions.

Dany's dragon will destroy it by melting it with their fire.

One of her dragons, though who is in charge of the dragon by the end I'm not sure.

I figure the last line of the series will be one word: "Dracarys." Said to a dragon pointed at the Iron Throne.

Dany's dragon will destroy it by melting it with their fire.

One of her dragons, though who is in charge of the dragon by the end I'm not sure.

I figure the last line of the series will be one word: "Dracarys." Said to a dragon pointed at the Iron Throne.

I strongly disagree.

Because someone will rule Westeros in the end.

This looks a lot like that thread I made three days ago... though, I wasn't as concise.

So, well, I agree with you on the major points.

Not only the Iron Throne, but King's Landing itself, are symbols of a Targaryen rule (even Westeros having a capital city, for that matter). They weren't there 300 years ago, they were introduced to Westeros by an invading family from across the sea. For the thousands of years before that, the Seven Kingdoms were, in fact, seven kingdoms (give or take a few).

As far as we know for sure, there's only one Targaryen left now, and she's halfway around the world, infertile and has never set foot in Westeros. The other alleged Targaryen, even if real, lives dangerously, given how many factions are fighting for that throne he's trying to take. The Targaryens are coming to an end, and the realm is splitting up. I think we'll see an end to the Seven Kingdoms as a single kingdom as the series ends, this will culminate in the throne being destroyed. It's a symbolic end to the Targaryen dynasty, as well as a symbolic end to the series. The Iron Throne is, after all, the most famous symbol/icon from this series.

Though, I disagree that Daenerys' dragons will be the ones to destroy the throne. Who needs dragons, when Dany's late father had caches of wildfire placed all over the city? During preparations for the Battle of Blackwater, the pyromancers found two stashes, under the Dragonpit and under the Great Sept of Baelor. According to Jaime, there were other stashes under the city gates, under Flea Bottom, and under the Red Keep.

So, not only will the Iron Throne be destroyed, but possibly the city around it too. The capital city of the Targaryens, being reduced from grandeur to ruin like so many other places (Castamere, Harrenhal, Moat Cailin, Chroyane, Vaes Tolorro... Martin is very fond of this trope). The Game of Thrones ends when the throne is removed from play. And Westeros will go back to the divided structure it had for several thousand years before the Targaryens invaded.

While the ideea of dragons melting the Iron Throne would be fitting in a way, it seems very predictable and GRRM doesn't do predictable.Wildfire does sound like an awesome ideea.

I'm curious how GRRM actually envisioned this great chair: agreat towering seat ( http://scm-l3.technorati.com/13/07/12/76885/the-iron-throne--grr-martin-by-marc-simonetti-jpg-204112.jpg?t=20130712060413) or the version seen in the show (much more human size).

I think it would be awesome f somebody actually died becouse of it.Either get impaled or cut by the swords or ( and this is just an ideea of mine, no foreshadowing in the books) a pretender to the throne gets chained to it and both are thrown to the bottom of Blackwater Bay.

Another fitting ideea for the end of the throne would be to get destroyed/changed by cold elements.It was forged by fire by a House represented by fire so it's ending could be in ice.

Archived