Alleras/Sarella

Kasumi

The eight sand snakes have been kept, and we know we will have the first three. Sarella hasn't been announced yet, but we have the first third girls, and Oberyn mentionned his "fifth", Elia, who does appear in WoW. So I think it is more than probable than we will get the fourth one.

She will probably have an important role in WoW, or at least in DoS. Unknowingly, she has become part of the "find Daenerys plan" of her uncle, if we think about it.

It the theory of the Sphinx being Sarella is right (and I think it probably is), how are they going to cast an actor for Alleras/Sarella ? In words, it is easy to fool the reader, since he is seeing Alleras through the eyes of characters who are themselves fooled.

But on TV, it is a different story. You can't cast an actress and be "well, this actress will play a man, just because, you know. Just pretend it is normal".

So how do you think they will introduce her ? I was thinking about some conversation between the sand snake and Arianne, with one stating that their sister/cousin was in Old Town, something among that lines. But that will make an other revelation given away too soon by the show (but I would not blame them for that.)

Do you have an actress in mind for her ? Do you think she will be at all included in the show ?

Just because the audience knows that she's a girl doesn't mean they have to know she's a Sansnake. Though I don't think she'll be cast until S6.

If she is not revealed as Sarella until she has played Alleras for a while, with the right clothes and make up, they could pull it off. An unknown actress with an androgeous first name would help. Book readers would obviously know from the off, but the unsullied could well buy it.

if not, What Protar said

Is this the type of thing that viewers really need to be fooled by? As long as the characters in the show are fooled by it, it doesn't really matter what we know.

Have a scene where Doran ends a conversation with "Let Sarella play her game in Oldtown."

*cut to Oldtown and Sarella, who everyone there knows as Alleras*

This isn't going to be some massive reveal to us readers, and it more than likely isn't going to be a game-changing reveal even to the characters in the book, so I don't see that this needs to be some big mystery that requires androgyny on the behalf of the actress and her name, lol.

It wouldn't make any difference to the plot either way. But if they can pull it off it would be better. There are a lot of readers that didn't make the connection between the two names, and it has shown up on threads about"I never noticed that" moments

I had a head slap moment myself when I read about it on this site. No-one at the citadel has noticed him being her, so why not at least try to pull the wool over the viewers eyes too. It's all part of the fun

That role will be really difficult to cast. The audience does not have to think she's a man, but it has to be someone really androgynous-looking who can plausibly pass for a man, or everyone else at the Citadel will look like idiots.

The Citadel refutes all magic and myth, despite the fact that everyone who has ever watched the show or read the books knows to be true.

Everyone at The Citadel IS an idiot, so looking like one isn't going to be much of a stretch.

That role will be really difficult to cast. The audience does not have to think she's a man, but it has to be someone really androgynous-looking who can plausibly pass for a man, or everyone else at the Citadel will look like idiots.

People see what they expect to see. There are actresses who look androgynous enough out there, I'm sure. Like Jack in Pitch Black -

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090423041827/riddick/images/f/f6/Jack.jpg

http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/RGFC-Images/media/NotCool.png.html

also, If Mulan could pass as a man, anyone can.

People see what they expect to see. There are actresses who look androgynous enough out there, I'm sure. Like Jack in Pitch Black -

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090423041827/riddick/images/f/f6/Jack.jpg

http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/RGFC-Images/media/NotCool.png.html

also, If Mulan could pass as a man, anyone can.

She was, what, 13-14 in Pitch Black? It's easier to pass for a boy at that age, if you aren't among the girls who have already fully developed the secondary sexual characteristics, than it is around 20, which is Sarella's age. I agree that there are people who look androgynous enough with the help of the right hairstyle, clothes and makeup, but not that many. She doesn't have to fool everyone in the audience though, Jaye Davidson-style, just to look plausible enough as a man so it could be convincing she could pass as one at the Citadel.

I'm not sure she's ideal as I don't know what her acting's like, but here's proof that Sarella's switch isn't impossible to cast:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6256391/

http://www.sfweekly.com/2014-01-15/culture/real-world-mtv-ari-fitz-san-francisco/

Google Ari Fitz

I'm sure there are plenty of viable actresses for this role

If they cut the prologue to feast, then we'll only see Alleras for probably one scene in the last or penultimate episode of season 5. They don't have to advertise the actress at all, and the role could probably fly under the radar pretty well. If he/she's only bringing Sam up to Marwyn, the audience will likely be too focused on that to notice that the helpful young lad is actually a cross-dressing sand snake.

If possible, I think they will do a Barristan and just have her a woman right off the bat. Maybe the fact that Sarella's hiding as a man isn't important, they I'd say just skip it.

I don't think they will go to the Citadel in the HBO show. Too much of a diversion. Whatever the books are going to accomplish through the Citadel will most likely happen in another more streamlined and less complicated way. I think the whole Citadel/Sam/Gilly/Allaras/Maester leaving to find Dany business will not happen. Sam and Gilly will continue, but I dont seem them including the other stuff. There is not enough time.

Archived