Relationship between Direwolves and Stark Children

It seems to me like the finding of the direwolves and their role in the books links their fates with those of the Stark children, especially given that multiple Stark children are wargs that can enter their wolves. It also seems like the wolves are generally in the same state of being/mind as their corresponding children are (fighting at war, wandering, etc.). And Robb and Grey Wind died together. Literally. But what about Lady? Sansa didn't die and nothing particularly terrible happened to her in comparison with her other siblings who still had their wolves with them. Since Ned killed her himself, it seems like it did really happen. Thoughts?

Well since she lost Lady she has been in some very dire situations. While she has not faced as great a peril as some of her siblings she has been in some deep trouble, and arguably powerless (she's starting to find her own strength now though). For example that whole period when she was trapped at court, she was entirely powerless to get out of that situation and had to let it run its course.

I personally think that the fates of the stark children aren't linked so strongly to their wolves that anything that happens to their wolf counterpart will happen to them. The biggest challenge Sansa faces now is being a warg with no wolf!

I really disliked Sansa in the first few books, but the aDwD turned that into only a mild disdain. Early on, literally their first chapters when they received their wolves and started training with them, I had this same theory as you. So when Sansa's wolf died I expected Sansa to die soon, but no luck.

I have a few theories on why Sansa's wolf was killed though. First, it was killed because she lied about not seeing Joffrey attacking the butcher's son. She also is the only Stark child who doesn't worship the old gods. The wolves are definitely tied into the North, the Old Gods, The Children of the Forest, and the Weirwoods (especially Ghost with his white coat and red eyes). Since she worships The Seven instead of the old gods she probably never had as much of a connection with her wolf. Last, as you pointed out, Ned killed her wolf and then it was Sansa's betrayal of Ned by telling Cersei what he was doing that ultimately got him killed. So Ned killed her wolf and she kind of killed Ned.

Yeah, so maybe she's not dead as a result of losing Lady, but becomes even more unmoored from her Starkness, and her disloyalty is paid back through other kinds of loss. Makes sense to me.

Precisely, the events and matters that the dirwolves go through either on their own and/or with their Stark counterparts reflect obviously on the book, both in their situations and general characteristics.

I have a couple of theories/interpratations on this

1. Sansa, at that point, had turned her back on the North and the Starks so she could become Jof's queen. She choose to become a Barratheon so she looses her Lady.

2. This event kicks off a series of events which lead to Sansa's childhood dying. She is slowly starting to lose the part of herself that believes that life is like the romantic stories and songs she always loved.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived