Small questions v.10082

Angalin

Looking at the reading of the Westerlands in the World of Ice and Fire sub-forum, and I am just curious as to where all the information is coming from? Because posters like Lord Varys etc seem to be contributing but I remember that he said he wouldn't be there....anyone got any idea where its' coming from?

Looking at the reading of the Westerlands in the World of Ice and Fire sub-forum, and I am just curious as to where all the information is coming from? Because posters like Lord Varys etc seem to be contributing but I remember that he said he wouldn't be there....anyone got any idea where its' coming from?

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/94838-concarolinas-may-30-june-1-2014-charlotte-nc-grrm-guest-of-honor/page-15

Follow the link on the first page of that thread ;)

The anti-Targ by then was gone, there were on Blackfyres leading the GC. Also, as far as sellsword companies go, the GC has the best reputation, the most honourable reputation. JonCon was a man of honour and glory, and both could be gotten in the GC, even after his exile.

I disagree. We learn fro Arianne that the Golden Company is different from other sellsword companies. We learn from Hoster Blackwood that heirs hold onto to their forefathers' grudges for generations. And Tyrion tells us beneath the gold the bitter steel.

I disagree. We learn fro Arianne that the Golden Company is different from other sellsword companies. We learn from Hoster Blackwood that heirs hold onto to their forefathers' grudges for generations. And Tyrion tells us beneath the gold the bitter steel.

Then which part are you disagreeing with? The anti-Targ part?

Because he GC has agreed within a few years to support Viserys, Dany and finally Aegon. Even if Aegon is fake, they are willing to support real dragons. Sounds like they have no problem with Targs now that the Blackfyre's are gone.

Then which part are you disagreeing with? The anti-Targ part?

Because he GC has agreed within a few years to support Viserys, Dany and finally Aegon. Even if Aegon is fake, they are willing to support real dragons. Sounds like they have no problem with Targs now that the Blackfyre's are gone.

I suspect the interests of the GC (the BF army) and Illyrio (the BF heir) are nearly aligned. Their support for the Targaryens was like the farmer's fattening of the pig beforw the slaughter.

I don't know if this is evidence enough, but in the AFFC Appendix, Ghost is listed as "White and Silent."

Yeah, but you don't have to have a disability preventing you from making noise to remain silent. Has anyone ever heard of a mute dog, who couldn't even whimper?

Also I know he's supposed to not make noise when he moves around, it could be referring to that.

I've seen people say that Ghost is mute. Is this actually established in the books/app/ SSMs somewhere?

I think that Ghost being mute is debatable. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say he is mute by choice rather than being unable to speak.

ASoS:

“Four now, not five. Four and one more, the white who has no voice.”

ACoK:

“He sat on his haunches and lifted his head to the darkening sky, and his cry echoed through the forest, a long lonely mournful sound. As it died away, he pricked up his ears, listening for an answer, but the only sound was the sigh of blowing snow.

Jon?

The call came from behind him, softer than a whisper, but strong too. Can a shout be silent? He turned his head, searching for his brother, for a glimpse of a lean grey shape moving beneath the trees, but there was nothing, only . . .

A weirwood.”

I think he is more likely to be mute. The above quote about their silent brother points to that direction as well. The wolf acknowledges it as an oddity, and although the direwolves and especially Ghost are special and somewhat magical, they are still wolves and I don't think they can be silent by choice.

Also, on their first encounter when Jon discovered him, Jon was the only one who could hear the whimpering. This implies, I think, that it was not a real sound, but rather a subconscious counter-warging.

Is Bran a stronger greenseer than BR?I mean Theon clearly understood his name whispered and Ned also heard something when Bran talked to them. BR tells him they would only hear the leaves. Does this mean that Bran is able to communicate through weirwoods and he will possibly tell things to people (Stannis etc)?

Is Bran a stronger greenseer than BR?I mean Theon clearly understood his name whispered and Ned also heard something when Bran talked to them. BR tells him they would only hear the leaves. Does this mean that Bran is able to communicate through weirwoods and he will possibly tell things to people (Stannis etc)?

I don't think he;ll be able to tell people anything. Bran was trying to speak, but when he does, it comes out like wind. Theon most likely heard wind which sounded like "Theon" (because that was what Bran was saying). But hearing one word is different from hearing an entire conversation.

Also, Bran cannot alter the past, I think. We see him trying to communicate with Ned, about 17 or 16 years in the past. , but Ned doesn't hear any words at all.

That's the conclusion I reached.

I don't think he;ll be able to tell people anything. Bran was trying to speak, but when he does, it comes out like wind. Theon most likely heard wind which sounded like "Theon" (because that was what Bran was saying). But hearing one word is different from hearing an entire conversation.

Also, Bran cannot alter the past, I think. We see him trying to communicate with Ned, about 17 or 16 years in the past. , but Ned doesn't hear any words at all.

Yes but that was his first try and the past.

Theon is in the present,and practice might have helped Bran. We'll see

Do we get any inkling as to what happens with Ser Glendon Ball after the whole Whitewalls affair? Did he eventually get that white cloak under Duncan's LC tenure?

Or is the answer to that question something that we have to wait for in TWoIaF and the future Dunk&Egg stories?

Archived