Small questions v.10082

Angalin

If Walda Frey were to become pregnant, would it show enough for Ramsay to find out (assuming Roose never mentions it)?

I'm not really familiar with pregnancies, just curious as she is called fat walda.

Watching last night reminded me.. Tyrion being found guilty because the Viper died before the Mountain... is that just semantics/common sense, or is there precedence for it in another trial by combat that was a duel where both men died?

Gregor did not die during the trial, it took him a while as I recall and people in the Red Keep heard his screams.

Watching last night reminded me.. Tyrion being found guilty because the Viper died before the Mountain... is that just semantics/common sense, or is there precedence for it in another trial by combat that was a duel where both men died?

Oberyn died during the trial while the moutain survived the trial itself. The mountain died very slowly some time later because of the poison.

Who is the best sailor in westeros, I mean, Davos is noteworthy but is their anyone else?

Euron Greyjoy (if stories of his travels are true), Gerion Lannister (maybe), Salladhor San. It depends a bit on what you mean by "sailor". Davos was a smuggler, so that's coastal waters, small ships, nighttime, whereas Euron and Gerion could be considered explorers. Notable admirals would be Victarion Greyjoy and Paxter Redwyne.

Mel tells Jon to keep Ghost close to him, before, you know. Arya has dreams of Nymeria in the Riverlands, despite being thousands of miles away. This raises the question, does distance affect warging ability or are wolf dreams something different altogether?

Mel tells Jon to keep Ghost close to him, before, you know. Arya has dreams of Nymeria in the Riverlands, despite being thousands of miles away. This raises the question, does distance affect warging ability or are wolf dreams something different altogether?

I think the idea is that Ghost might have warned him or defended him from his attackers if he was by Jon's side. Arya's experienced makes it clear that distance does not disrupt the bond once it is made. I do think you probably need to be near the animal to forge the initial bond.

The Wall seems to be the only thing that weakens the bonds.

Did King Robb ever learn about Dany and her dragons?

The news on Dany's dragons reached Westeros in early aFfC, when Robb was already dead. Before that, the only news on Dany's dragons arrived at the small council through Varys. The rest of Westeros either didn't know it yet, and the few who did most likely didn't believe it. It sounds like Dany's dragons were taken seriously only after several reports came in.

Robb never mentions Dany at all, nor any dragon, so no, he didn't know.

If Walda Frey were to become pregnant, would it show enough for Ramsay to find out (assuming Roose never mentions it)?

I'm not really familiar with pregnancies, just curious as she is called fat walda.

It's possible that a bigger woman becomes pregnant without knowing it, simply because her period will keep coming, and since her size itself makes it extremely difficult to see signs of pregnancy (she might think she gained a little weight). But the same can happen to very slim girls. They might think they only gained like 2 pounds, while in reality, they are almost 9 months pregnant. It's really weird the human body can work that way and fortunately it doesn't happen often (because not knowing you are pregnant can have serious consequences for the health of the child).

That said, if it's possible that a woman herself doesn't know she's pregnant, it's extremely possible for outsiders to not know she is pregnant. Usually, the womans periods stop during the 9 months pregnancy (plus other bodily reactions), which can sign Walda and Roose that Walda is pregnant. But Walda's size could make it difficult for those around her to see that she's pregnant, so in theory, yes, it can be possible for Roose to keep it a secret for Ramsay.

Ramsay might think that Walda gained a little weight, but, let's face it, she eats enough that no one would question it.

Well, Gregor survived the trial itself, while Oberyn died in it, so Gregor officially won. That he died later on, doesn't matter for the outcome of the trial itself. It's about one guy being able to stay alive longer than the other. Oberyn died first, and so Tyrion lost..

Should both men drop death at the same time, I suspect that either the judge will decide who won, or, when it can absolutely not be said, there will be a second trial, with two new participants, of course :) .

I think the idea is that Ghost might have warned him or defended him from his attackers if he was by Jon's side. Arya's experienced makes it clear that distance does not disrupt the bond once it is made. I do think you probably need to be near the animal to forge the initial bond.

This.

As Rhaenys said, a pregnancy can be hidden for a long time under certain circumstances. The problem is that Walda and Roose aren't a modern couple living by their own that can keep this kind of things private.

Walda surely has lots of handmaids, who talk to other people in the castle, and of course the maestre attending her, etc. Besides, her getting pregnant is something everybody is anticipating, so at least her handmaids are going to be alert before any change.

If Walda gets pregnant, Ramsey is going to find out sooner or later, disregarding if he himself gets note of her pregnancy.

Eta: seems I finally earned my spurs XD

Do we know anything about Vicky's first two wives?

He claims his third (the one he killed) was only a salt wife. Does that mean his previous wives were highborn?

And by the way, if he had had a child with fed-to-the-crabs-wife, her being a salt wife, was their child a bastard? Or her title as "salt wife" gave the kid some kind of legitimity?

I'm confused, because if salt wives are just above mistresses in the social iron born scale, then why is this woman reffered as Vicky's wife and not salt wife, to Vicky despair? I know it's just a word off, but nobody (even in the Iron Islands) is going to mistake a noble mistress for his legal wife, I think.

AfFC, The Iron Captain:

"His first wife died in childbed, giving him a stillborn daughter. His second had been stricken by a pox." We don't know their names.

As for salt wifes and their children: I think their place might be a bit higher than "traditional" bastards in the society, but their legitimity depends on the father.

For example: ADwD Reek II

"His name, he said, was Adrack Humble, and he had a rock wife and three salt wives back on Great Wyk. “Three of the four had big bellies when we sailed,” he boasted, “and Humbles run to twins. First thing I’ll need to do when I get back is count up my new sons. Might be I’ll even name one after you, m’lord.” "

But Humbles (and Codds) are descended from thralls and salt wives so they may give their own salt wives and children a higher place in the family.

Contrary to it we have this conversation between Euron and Victarion in AFfC, The Reaver:

“You have sons,” he (Victarion) told his brother.
“Baseborn mongrels, born of whores and weepers.”
“They are of your body.”
“So are the contents of my chamber pot."

Euron does not claim these women as salt wives, so all his children are simply bastards...

I think, based on this conversation, that Victarion would have acknowledged any child his salt wife would have given him

AfFC, The Iron Captain:

"His first wife died in childbed, giving him a stillborn daughter. His second had been stricken by a pox." We don't know their names.

As for salt wifes and their children: I think their place might be a bit higher than "traditional" bastards in the society, but their legitimity depends on the father.

For example: ADwD Reek II

"His name, he said, was Adrack Humble, and he had a rock wife and three salt wives back on Great Wyk. “Three of the four had big bellies when we sailed,” he boasted, “and Humbles run to twins. First thing I’ll need to do when I get back is count up my new sons. Might be I’ll even name one after you, m’lord.” "

But Humbles (and Codds) are descended from thralls and salt wives so they may give their own salt wives and children a higher place in the family.

Contrary to it we have this conversation between Euron and Victarion in AFfC, The Reaver:

“You have sons,” he (Victarion) told his brother.

“Baseborn mongrels, born of whores and weepers.”

“They are of your body.”

“So are the contents of my chamber pot."

Euron does not claim these women as salt wives, so all his children are simply bastards...

I think, based on this conversation, that Victarion would have acknowledged any child his salt wife would have given him

Yep, he didn't have any children at all. Any kid he could father was one he would welcome as his own, it seems to me.

Does Renly.ever actually mock Shireen? I know a lot of people.bring up that he did, but I re-read the parlay scene and he actually mocks Selyse and the rumours the Small Council started there, not Shireen. Is there somewhere else he does that I have missed?

Does Renly.ever actually mock Shireen? I know a lot of people.bring up that he did, but I re-read the parlay scene and he actually mocks Selyse and the rumours the Small Council started there, not Shireen. Is there somewhere else he does that I have missed?

I'm right about where you are on my 6th reading of the entire series and I don't recall him making fun of Shireen.

I'm right about where you are on my 6th reading of the entire series and I don't recall him making fun of Shireen.

Yeah, its clear he doesnt insult her at that meeting. I was wondering.if I missed something else, but obviously he doesn't have long to live at this point :p

Archived