Small questions v.10082

Angalin

English is not my first language, so here, in aSoS Jon III...

Jon nuzzled her hair and filled his nose with the smell of her. "You sound like Old Nan, telling Bran a monster story."

Ygritte punched his shoulder. "An old woman, am I?"

"You're older than me."

"Aye, and wiser. You know nothing, Jon Snow." She pushed away from him, and shrugged out of her rabbitskin vest.

"What are you doing?"

"Showing you how old I am." She unlaced her doeskin shirt, tossed it aside, pulled her three woolen undershirts up over her head all at once. "I want you should see me."

...is this just Ygritte's way of saying she wants Jon to see her naked, or is this a typo in my book ?

English is not my first language, so here, in aSoS Jon III...

...is this just Ygritte's way of saying she wants Jon to see her naked, or is this a typo in my book ?

She wanted him to see her naked. Thats how I read it anyway. It is the same in the english text

I have a book in english but I've already seen some typos in it, so I just wanted to check. Thank you.

Yeah there are typos in the english version as well. Ygritte was not shy sexually, it was Jon who was uncomfortable (NW vows and being a virgin). I think Ygritte was the initiator in this context. The passage you quoted makes it clear, to me at least, that Ygritte wanted Jon to see her naked.

Second post here

I don't know if this really counts as a small question but how does Robert strong exist the way he is? Maryn even comments that he never uses the privy and I think another that he never eats. Especially with the High Sparrow having so much control right now, if he sees Robert strong and hears the rumors he's going to know its an undead Mountain, which would condemn cerci so much more then she already is I feel. Having such a monstrosity on her side. Also the sparrow isn't dumb, he would either see or hear of the chain less necro-maester qyburn and report it to the Citadel, I'm sure the Archmaesters would care about a reject basically becoming gran maester of kings landing for one, and especially if he were to tell them of Strong.

I mean if there were more men like the Mountain it wouldn't be so obvious, especially if they do have any kind of religious intuition they would feel the evil Strong gives off.

Also why is there such opposition to the theory howland reed is the High Sparrow? He's a cunning lil guy with features similar to HS, yes the whole old gods thing but he could feel that it would be a service to the Old Gods and the followers of them to get cerci out of power, I mean as long as he just dissapears one night instead of keeping the act going he wouldnt be damned by the old gods. Hell it'll benefit everyone. He would be smart enough to know even a crannog-army isn't going to make much a difference, unless they fight a shadow war as they always have

Second post here

I don't know if this really counts as a small question but how does Robert strong exist the way he is? Maryn even comments that he never uses the privy and I think another that he never eats. Especially with the High Sparrow having so much control right now, if he sees Robert strong and hears the rumors he's going to know its an undead Mountain, which would condemn cerci so much more then she already is I feel. Having such a monstrosity on her side. Also the sparrow isn't dumb, he would either see or hear of the chain less necro-maester qyburn and report it to the Citadel, I'm sure the Archmaesters would care about a reject basically becoming gran maester of kings landing for one, and especially if he were to tell them of Strong.

I mean if there were more men like the Mountain it wouldn't be so obvious, especially if they do have any kind of religious intuition they would feel the evil Strong gives off.

Also why is there such opposition to the theory howland reed is the High Sparrow? He's a cunning lil guy with features similar to HS, yes the whole old gods thing but he could feel that it would be a service to the Old Gods and the followers of them to get cerci out of power, I mean as long as he just dissapears one night instead of keeping the act going he wouldnt be damned by the old gods. Hell it'll benefit everyone. He would be smart enough to know even a crannog-army isn't going to make much a difference, unless they fight a shadow war as they always have

Yeah, those aren't small questions. If you can't find a good thread start a new one.

RT - I didn't look at the threads, I confess, I just searched and linked. But when I read that LF wanted the tapestries, I wondered (as have lots of people) if there is some clue that we don't know about depicted in the scenes of the tapestries.

On one hand, you know that GRRM plants ideas way ahead of events on occasion, but you also know he gives details that are just background stuff. To me, the question is, which one is the request for the tapestries going to turn out to be?

Just to throw my two coppers in, I think LF is just using the tapestries(or the request for them) to make Cers think that he is done with playing the game and is now playing a lord. This way it looks like he is settling into his role as lord, prettying up the place, and not still trying to work his way into a higher position, and it works to an extent IIRC Cers never even thinks of him being up to something.

Just to throw my two coppers in, I think LF is just using the tapestries(or the request for them) to make Cers think that he is done with playing the game and is now playing a lord. This way it looks like he is settling into his role as lord, prettying up the place, and not still trying to work his way into a higher position, and it works to an extent IIRC Cers never even thinks of him being up to something.

Might want to look into it a little more, not that I follow any theory on it and I have not read it in some time but I thought that tapestries, was actually a strange theme in that book. Tapestries are mentioned multiple times with depictions of scenes on them. What did those tapestries depict? I don't know if it is mentioned but it may have some relevance.

Might want to look into it a little more, not that I follow any theory on it and I have not read it in some time but I thought that tapestries, was actually a strange theme in that book. Tapestries are mentioned multiple times with depictions of scenes on them. What did those tapestries depict? I don't know if it is mentioned but it may have some relevance.

Hunting and battle scenes, if I'm not mistaken.

Hunting and battle scenes, if I'm not mistaken.

Perhaps, they are mentioned in an earlier book. Though Crows is a bit odd, Tapestries is used more in crows than any other book, almost twice as much as the other 4 combined. Only Dance comes close with 8 and Crows has 19 mentions of the word. Perhaps Martin is just trying to invoke thought's about the past. Though it is a bit strange that both LF and Cersie bring up so random a thing. In the Sansa chapter where he mentions it they are mentioned tapestries are brought up 3 times. Hmmmmm The Tapestry code??? Probably not.

Perhaps, they are mentioned in an earlier book. Though Crows is a bit odd, Tapestries is used more in crows than any other book, almost twice as much as the other 4 combined. Only Dance comes close with 8 and Crows has 19 mentions of the word. Perhaps Martin is just trying to invoke thought's about the past. Though it is a bit strange that both LF and Cersie bring up so random a thing. In the Sansa chapter where he mentions it they are mentioned tapestries are brought up 3 times. Hmmmmm The Tapestry code??? Probably not.

Those particular ones are only mentioned twice in all of Sansa's chapters, once in GoT and once in FfC:

GoT

The walls of the throne room had been stripped bare, the hunting tapestries that King Robert loved taken down and stacked in the corner in an untidy heap.

FfC

Petyr laughed, "Perhaps I shall, or better still, to our sweet Cersei. Though I should not speak harshly of her, she is sending me some splendid tapestries. Isn't that kind of her?"

I'm assuming those are the same ones. The others mentioned in Sansa's chapters can't be the same ones.

Yes I know though they are mentioned 2 times in crows, three times total, not twice, Cersei chapter has the first mention in crows. I was referring to the use of the word though. Tapestries was used a total of 3 times in the first 3 books, then a sudden jump to 19 in Crows.

Yes I know though they are mentioned 2 times in crows, three times total, not twice, Cersei chapter has the first mention in crows. I was referring to the use of the word though. Tapestries was used a total of 3 times in the first 3 books, then a sudden jump to 19 in Crows.

I count 10 in GoT, 1 in SoS, 19 in FfC, and 8 in DwD. I think they're just a staple in medieval settings, like rushes on the floor.

Those particular ones are only mentioned twice in all of Sansa's chapters, once in GoT and once in FfC:

GoT

FfC

I'm assuming those are the same ones. The others mentioned in Sansa's chapters can't be the same ones.

I'm pretty sure the Ned describes them very briefly in Game.

I'm pretty sure the Ned describes them very briefly in Game.

May have, but I was just referring to the Sansa chapters.

They are mentioned in Ned's chapters unfortunately all my Ned chapters are on an old laptop at the moment so I can't copy paste them but its pg 316, pg 320, and pg 360 in GoT.

I count 10 in GoT, 1 in SoS, 19 in FfC, and 8 in DwD. I think they're just a staple in medieval settings, like rushes on the floor.

That's weird I only have two uses in Thrones popping up in 17 and 57. Wonder what's up with the search function in thrones. Been having problems with it for like awhile now.

That's weird I only have two uses in Thrones popping up in 17 and 57. Wonder what's up with the search function in thrones. Been having problems with it for like awhile now.

I had probs like that when I cut up my ebooks by chapter, something about the way I saved them, some were searchable but others were not but if you're searching the whole book that shouldn't be the problem.

Why did Ned not bring the bones of his buddies who died trying to rescue his sister? I mean, I don't know about the burial traditions of the other Northern houses but at least lady Dustin saw it as an insult. I'm surprised nobody in the North complained they did not have the bones of their lords or family members. Unless all the TOj companions save howland, Ned, and Dustin were from minor lines of those houses and not worth carring about.

Archived