Small questions v.10082

Angalin

Do we get any inkling as to what happens with Ser Glendon Ball after the whole Whitewalls affair? Did he eventually get that white cloak under Duncan's LC tenure?

Or is the answer to that question something that we have to wait for in TWoIaF and the future Dunk&Egg stories?

Yeah, we'll have to wait and see.

Hi,so I'm currently knee deep in revision for my a-levels and my first exam is on Wednesday. It's commucation and culture studies. Yes it is one of those ever so 21st century made up subjects but if it helps to get into uni I'm not to bothered about its real academic value. Anyway for this exam we have studied several different theories on how culture can be viewed such as feminism Marxism post colonialism that kind of thing. My favortie theory we've studied is postmodernism. Now they say learn from what you know so my question is do you think a song of ice and fire and by extension game of thrones is postmodern in the way it defeys audience expectation such as the good guys not always winning and of course there not being good guys more shades of grey and of course do you think game of thrones could be described as a post-modern phenomena in the way that fansty really in recent years hasn't produced any memorable works yet through the tv series fantasy is back in the public domain. Also could you say the use of pov in the books and the reader knowing certain events and information before certain charaters adds a level of going against the norm in terms of story structure?

Do we get any inkling as to what happens with Ser Glendon Ball after the whole Whitewalls affair? Did he eventually get that white cloak under Duncan's LC tenure?

Or is the answer to that question something that we have to wait for in TWoIaF and the future Dunk&Egg stories?

We don't know, but we'll probably eventually find out (either through the World Book, or a future Dunk and Egg, I imagine, but perhaps through something else). There is some foreshadowing of Glendon eventually getting a white cloak though, in the Mystery Knight. It's very small, and absolutely not certain, but it can be taken to mean that Glendon will aquire a white cloak eventually.

Doesn't Jon think to himself somwhere that Robb will eat off of golden plates, while he will remain cold and in black at the Wall? Or was that something from the show only?

The best I can find are these:

Robb had become a hero king; if Jon was remembered at all, it would be as a turncloak, an oathbreaker, and a murderer.

But not mother’s milk, no. So now Robb will sip summerwine from jeweled goblets, while I’m kneeling beside some stream sucking snowmelt from cupped hands.

The second seems closest to what you were looking for

Doesn't Jon think to himself somwhere that Robb will eat off of golden plates, while he will remain cold and in black at the Wall? Or was that something from the show only?

I think Jeor tells him that in the last Jon chapter of Game.

I'm rereading the Dunk&Egg novels and came across that:

[Maekar]“How can you possibly remember some insignificant hedge knight who chanced to unhorse Damon Lannister sixteen years ago?” said the prince with the silver beard, frowning.
[baelor]“I make it a practice to learn all I can of my foes.”

Any idea why Baelor considers Damon Lannister to be his foe? I tried the wiki, but the Damon Lannister page is not working.

How does the Eyrie get it's water?

Snowmelt, probably. At that height, they should have some permafrost about.

Also, maybe Alyssa's Tears? I tried to look it up, but that wiki article doesn't work as well.

What is going on with the wiki?

snip/

It all depends in your theoretical framework. Postmodernism has a lot of exponents with quite different theories. I don't know if you are working with some theory specifically, but without that it's pretty hard to lend you a hand. If your deadline is near, better work with an easy case and leave Asoiaf for another work, when you have time to do a thorough research.

Good luck with your exams! :)

Any idea why Baelor considers Damon Lannister to be his foe? I tried the wiki, but the Damon Lannister page is not working.

I assume he meant that they were competing the same tournament, and there was a chance they would have come up against each other.

Yeah snowmelt could be the answer. The wiki has been having problems lately, especially today. Something to do with it updating it's caches while the site is being bombarded with sunday night TV show traffic. It's been reported to Ran.

Snowmelt, probably. At that height, they should have some permafrost about.

Also, maybe Alyssa's Tears? I tried to look it up, but that wiki article doesn't work as well.

What is going on with the wiki?

I agree with Rumham, it sounds to me as though he meant foe in terms of the tourney, rather than actual foes.

They Eyrie's water question; well there could.be a number of sources. Alyssa's Tears for one, if they are within a suitable distance. Natural stores of groundwater within the mountain. Aquifers. Snowmelt. Rain (though 3 1/2 miles is a little high for this perhaps :) ) There could even be a form of pipe system in a vasic sort of form. Hot water is said to run through the walls of Winterfell so there may be some knowledge of pipes etc that could have been used

Did King Robb ever learn about Dany and her dragons?

Not that I'm aware. Most of what he was finding out was Westeros related, and while he was alive Dany and her dragons were only a rumour carried by sailors, not taken very seriously

Archived