Small questions v.10082

Angalin

The best I can find are these:

The second seems closest to what you were looking for

I think Jeor tells him that in the last Jon chapter of Game.

A bit late, but thanks for searching with me! :)

The quote Helaena mentions comes closest, but I can truly remember "golden plates", or something like that, but definitly with the word "golden".

It wasn't Jon's last chapter in Game, I'm afraid, and also not the first Jon chapter in Clash, where Jon has learned Robb is a king..

I have no idea where my memory of golden plates came from then..

A bit late, but thanks for searching with me! :)

The quote Helaena mentions comes closest, but I can truly remember "golden plates", or something like that, but definitly with the word "golden".

It wasn't Jon's last chapter in Game, I'm afraid, and also not the first Jon chapter in Clash, where Jon has learned Robb is a king..

I have no idea where my memory of golden plates came from then..

Well when I searched, I searched for a few words: "King" "Robb" "Golden plates" then just looked at Jon's chapters. This was a very unhelpful means of searching. Do you know how many times Robb's name appears in Game, Clash and Storm? :p and King...of my

Bloodraven warging Ghost wouldn't explain the initial resistance to entering the ringfort though :/ But as you said, not a small question.

Thank you for the answers all

Another theory is that the Fist has some kind of ward, like the Wall, Storm's End, and the Brancave.

Except this one ward works on direwolves, or, yes, warged creatures.

Another theory is that the Fist has some kind of ward, like the Wall, Storm's End, and the Brancave.

Except this one ward works on direwolves, or, yes, warged creatures.

Though I dont really.buy that theory, I'm glad you mentioned it :thumbsup:

Well when I searched, I searched for a few words: "King" "Robb" "Golden plates" then just looked at Jon's chapters. This was a very unhelpful means of searching. Do you know how many times Robb's name appears in Game, Clash and Storm? :p and King...of my

I don't know the exact count, but I imagine "Robb" and "King" appear a lot :p

Thank you for the trouble ;)

2 part question about the mountain clans, do they honor guest rights, and has GRRM ever talked about any Aryn trying to eradicate/ assimilate them?

Guest rights go back as far as the first men, even the Wildlings respect guest rights. They are as sacred as heart trees. There are more than one set of mountain clans, but I assume you mean the Vale. The mountain clans of the Vale are descendant from first men. The Arryn's are Andal blood, the Vale was the first place the Andals landed and assimilated the people into there culture it is where chivalry began in Westeros. So yes they did attempt to assimilate the First men, those they did not kill and the Mountain clans are made up of those that did not bend to the Andals. The Mountain clans have been relatively small time in the Vale over the last 100 years. And yes they have tried to kill them in the Vale but have not seen them as a threat in a long time.

It may also be possible for a Stark like Sansa to gain their support, given her strong first men blood ties. Even Wildlings seem to have respect for the Starks as first men.

A metaphor I believe Martin used with the Mountain clans of the Vale was with some of the names and relationships of the clans. He pointed out the close relationship of the Black ears and the Moon brothers, both being symbolic of the Others and Wights, the Wights blackened appendages and of course the seemingly close association of the Moon and the Others. The Black ears and Moonborthers fear only one clan, the Burning men.

Way more than you asked for, sorry about that.

The Andals arrived roughly 12.000 years ago. They went North rather fast, IIRC.

In addition, we see that the influence of the First Men is still heavy beyond the Wall. The Wildlings keep the the ways of the First Men more, and the tongue of the First Men is also still spoken there.

So yeah, I think the Wildlings descent from the First Men. Correct me if I'm wrong. But with the First Men arriving 12.000 years ago, and the Wall going up 8.000 years ago, that leaves 4.000 years for the First Men to get further north. Which explains the stronghold.

As to Ghost.. Perhaps he felt a presence there? Others, wights? I'm not sure.

The Andals arrived about 6000 years ago in the books and first landed in the Vale. The Arryns are an old Andal line and it explains a lot of the old Fighting between the Starks in the Arryns back in the day.

First men landed in Dorne first and moved north, Moat Calin was built about 10,000 years ago and predates Winterfell and the Wall. The Andals were never part of the War for the Dawn History before the Andals is very vague. The Wildlings are in fact blood of the first men and proud of it. The first men are known to have at least gotten as far as the Fist of the first men which was built in the Dawn age which pre dates the war for the dawn which happened during the age of heroes. The Dawn age lasted for about 2000 years, and ended with the signing of the treaty between the Children and the first men. Moat Calin seems to have been built during the very beginning of the age of Heroes. Meaning the Fist is older so the first men seem to have gone pretty far north very early on.

The last Winter was during Robert's Rebellion i think, or at the tail end of.it. Both Jon and Sam claim to have been born during Winter. It can't have lasted more than 6-7 years though, as Bran is said to have been born in Summer

The Andals arrived about 6000 years ago in the books and first landed in the Vale. The Arryns are an old Andal line and it explains a lot of the old Fighting between the Starks in the Arryns back in the day.

First men landed in Dorne first and moved north, Moat Calin was built about 10,000 years ago and predates Winterfell and the Wall. The Andals were never part of the War for the Dawn History before the Andals is very vague. The Wildlings are in fact blood of the first men and proud of it. The first men are known to have at least gotten as far as the Fist of the first men which was built in the Dawn age which pre dates the war for the dawn which happened during the age of heroes. The Dawn age lasted for about 2000 years, and ended with the signing of the treaty between the Children and the first men. Moat Calin seems to have been built during the very beginning of the age of Heroes. Meaning the First is older so the first men seem to have gone pretty far north very early on.

Yeah, my Andals should have said First Men, :p

The last Winter was during Robert's Rebellion i think, or at the tail end of.it. Both Jon and Sam claim to have been born during Winter. It can't have lasted more than 6-7 years though, as Bran is said to have been born in Summer

thanks. I was also just wondering if there has been a pattern to seasons have they been getting longer over the last few centurys?

thanks. I was also just wondering if there has been a pattern to seasons have they been getting longer over the last few centurys?

Since the last dragon died the winters have gotten longer and crueler according to Ser Arlan in HK. And this most recent summer is the longest in recent memory IIRC.

HK:

The summers have been shorter since the last dragon died, and the winters longer and crueler.”

CoK:

This one came to tell us that the Conclave has met, considered the reports and measurements made by maesters all over the realm, and declared this great summer done at last. Ten years, two turns, and sixteen days it lasted, the longest summer in living memory.”

Archived