[Book Spoilers] Is anyone recording reactions for the duel aftermath?

Ok, my friend watched a day later and I got his response just now.

Basically it was, "what the Fu**" that was gruesome, what the hell was he doing! I would have kept stabbing him, why did he get close to him?! All my favorite characters are dead, HE (GRRM) is a dick!

Loved him in the book, but he was a pretty minor character there - only in a few scenes until the duel.

They've jacked up his presence on the show to make more people care about him and like him (easy to do - he's pretty cool and Pascal is doing well with the part)

However, I don't think it will make as big an impact as the Red or Purple Weddings just because he hasn't been around long enough.

I don't think he's a minor character at all. On the contrary, his death sparked a lot of uproar in Dorne, so in this case, he's very similar to Ned Stark in the North. He's just never been POV character and appeared later in the books.

His contribution to other POV or minor character is quite big.

I don't think he's a minor character at all. On the contrary, his death sparked a lot of uproar in Dorne, so in this case, he's very similar to Ned Stark in the North. He's just never been POV character and appeared later in the books.

His contribution to other POV or minor character is quite big.

He is petty minor character during first read. He has a similar importance as Garlan Tyrell. His importance increases exponentially after his death. One might love him during a reread but I always smile when I read that people loved him right from the beginning.

My brother texted me-

Bro: Wow GoT

Bro: That was brutal.

Me: I know that was awful

Bro: My friend heard a rumor that all of next episode is at the Wall

Me: The episode name is "The Watchers At the Wall," I think it may just have something to do with the Wall lol

Bro: I hope Jon Snow doesn't die now too

My Unsullied husband was distraught and in shock for about 20 minutes afterword, just sat there unable to move. He seemed to believe that despite it all, Tyrion would make it through this trial unscathed, position in court intact, and things could go on with Tyrion being in King's Landing with the rest. He's forced me to tell him his fate but he's not happy with Tyrion joining someone else's cause, he said, "I want Tyrion to be the hero on his own, not stand next to somebody else."

It's kind of fascinating how different fans lose their ASoIaF innocence at different points. For some people, seeing Ned die was enough. For others, they went from Ned to Robb and after the RW, they knew no one was safe. For others, I think it's taken until now to really let it sink in that no one is safe. For me personally, I wrote Ned off and thought he was an idiot after throwing a hissy fit in court about Robert wanting Dany assassinated. After every further bad decision, I was more and more pissed at him until he died. With Robb, there was a sense of foreboding as everything seemed to be going wrong for him too. So at the time of the trial, I didn't really get who Oberyn was, but I believed wholeheartedly that Tyrion was safe and that he couldn't lose. It was a major shock I didn't know how to deal with that Oberyn lost the fight for Tyrion. I lost my ASoIaF innocence at that point.

Thanks for the poster who posted that really funny rant from misc. I tried to cheer my husband up, so I showed him the rant. After reading it, my Unsullied husband smiled again, saved the post, and seemed to recover.

I honestly wanted to throw up. And I looked away as soon as I saw the fingers in the eyes and so did my boyfriend. Well I actually covered the screen with my hands so he had no choice lol.

waaay worse than the red wedding to me, gore-wise.

I hope they don't have quentyn and the same death for him as in the books... I wanted to throw up just reading the description of his face and it's worse when you actually see it.

This is the best response ever to this episode, taken from the misc forums.

I'm fuking fuming right now. I hate this show so badly. It's brought no joy in my life all it's brought is agony. Wat a bullshyt ending. Back in season 1 I backed my boy Ned Stark and that neckbeard decides to kill him off. It stung but I got over it and I started backing his son Robb. He was younger, hotter than his dad and had a direwolf on his side so I figured it was a trade-up. Then that POS GRRM kills him and his whole family off in the most brutal way possible at a fuking wedding and then to add salt on a womb we see that sick shot of his body on his direwolfs head. Wat kind of fuked up human being thinks up stuff like that. I was devastated after last season. The Starks who represent everything that is good in this world were in shambles. Bran is going to like antarctica. Sansa is having a borderline pedo relationship in the moon door castle and Arya has been walking around for like 3 seasons doing jackshyt. I used to like Daenerys because she has banging titties and dragons but nope she's too busy playing judge judy in a pyramid rather than fuking shyt up in king's landing. Instead of showing us any of that we get painful friendzone scenes with Jorah every episode that reminds me of my high school days. Who the fuk am I supposed to root for in this show? Ok you bring in Prince Obrien this season and I was balls deep into him the minute they introduced him. He kinda looks like me and was an alpha fighter and lover and had some cheeky lines. I was rooting for him hard to become the king but nope that neckbeard writes him the most gruesome sickening death ever. Why couldn't he have just died in 5 seconds atleast the pain wouldn't have been so bad nope you gotta have him die that way. WTF is wrong with this show. Just when I think I was gonna make it this show takes everything I love and face fuks it to death. Great maybe we'll get more scenes with that phaggot mountain character who has an IQ comparable to shweezy (my sports misc boys know wat i'm talking about). Meanwhile the POS Lannister and Tyrell family gets away unscathed again. So many lucky bounces going Tywin and Cersei's way I hate them so fuking badly. My golden son Jamie in captured by Robb Stark? Oh look his beta mom sets him free. About to get fuked in the blackwater by Stannis? Nope Tywin puts in a last minute cheat code and in come the Tyrell's with unlimited ships and money to help save the day. How do I get rid of Robb Stark in season 3? I'll just scheme some hail mary play with Roose and Waldy to kill off all the Starks at a wedding without losing a single person on my side. My grandson Joffrey gets poisoned. No big deal we'll have his younger, more aesthetic, kinder, smarter brother become King and not a single fuk was given. Oh about to have the mountain killed and my shady as fuk past revealed in King's Landing? Naw at the last minute Prince Obrien is slaughtered and I just moonwalk away again without a scratch. I hate this show and I'm done with it. And from the preview next week it looks like my boy Jon Snow is gonna get fuked up by the wildling army next week. dfw the most likeable character left on the show is Stannis Baratheon who has a swag rating of 14/100. I swear by season 7 this show will basically be the Lannisters/Boltons/Freys holding gay orgies in King's Landing while Stannis and Davos conjure up a plan every episode to fuk them up but at the last minute it gets fuked up like the Pinky and Brain. Fuk that neckbeard GRRM. Fuk this show. Fuk the misc and all of you.

Loved beyond anything ever spawned of the Internet, for all the bolded reasons above. Especially bold italics.

my friend is still super pissedd but is convinced tyrion will escape

Husband thinks he will escape somehow, and that Jamie will be a participant. Oh, my unsullied husband was quite bummed after the episode. He usually discusses and debates for an hour afterwards, but this time he stood up, left the room, and immediately started playing one of his network games. He did not discuss any thoughts or ideas until last night.

There's also this one, which was filmed at a bar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vob2_MSpXQc

The best part is around 2 mins in when everyone's celebrating...my sweet summer children :devil:

That was amazing. My favourite part was the bearded dude in the white T-shirt shaking his head in mute horror at 2:48, with a close second being another bearded dude surreptitiously high-fiving someone else after Oberyn dies (book reader, maybe?). Awesome!

I wish we'd had a similar large gathering reaction vid for the Red Wedding.

Archived