Daenerys Stormborn - A Re-Read Project Part III: ASoS & ADwD

MoIaF

Dany=Moses of ASOIAF

On the morning of the third day, send out your slaves. Every man, woman and child shall be given a weapon, and as much food, clothing, coin, and goods as he or she can carry. These they shall be allowed to choose freely from among their masters' possessions, as payment for their years of servitude.

Now the sons of Israel had done according to the word of Moses, for they had requested from the Egyptians articles of silver and articles of gold, and clothing

-Exodus 3:22

I think Dany delivering these people from slavery, and having them ask their masters for goods, including valuables, as reparations for slavery gives her an aspect of Moses.

Let's take a look at the possible parallels between Dany and Moses:

-Whisked away from the hands of a king (Pharaoh/Robert) who wished them harm thinking

Hebrews/Targaryens would try to overthrow them

-Youngest of three children

-A member of royalty (Moses by adoption/Dany by birth)

I also think like Moses, she will take them to the "Promised Land" of Westeros away from Slaver's Bay across the Narrow Sea like Moses lead his people through the Red Sea. Westeros is described to Dany by Viserys as "our land," the land that is divinely hers.

Comparing Dany to Moses is an excellent catch. Both of them also rely on a charismatic bond with their followers, rather than attempting to rule through bureaucratic means.

Volantis is a fascinating place (and its description runs counter to those who think that Essos lacks depth). It is on the brink of revolution, partly social, and partly religious. At the same time, the rulers of Volantis see themselves as heirs to Valyria, and dream of reconquering the lands it once ruled. They're strongly ideologically committed to slavery, and thus determined to destroy Daenerys. Perhaps they also see a foreign war as being an excellent way of keeping a potentially rebellious army occupied, and maybe want to establish a permanent presence in Slavers Bay (in the same way, Sparta recruited its potentially rebellious helots to serve as soldiers abroad).

One can see too why the Slaver leaders are divided in how to deal with Daenerys. Some want to destroy her, but some of them hope to come to terms with each other. The Ghiscari have bad memories of Valyrian rule, and the thought of massive Volantene armed forces in Slavers Bay must make some of them nervous, notwithstanding they asked them for aid. Within Meereen, there are similar divisions. Clearly, many of the Great Masters want Dany dead. But others prefer to strike a deal with her. They must fear what would happen if their city was taken by storm; or how the Unsullied and freedmen would react if Dany was murdered.

Trying not to delve too much in future issues, I get the hives when I see the words "ideology" and "slavery" in the same sentence. It seems to me this will become a survival issue for them. The relevence of this chapter is that while Astapor can be written off as a one time incident, in which Dany simply cheated out of a deal, in this instance she shows to have adopted an anti-slavery agenda. Dany will become a threat to their very existence.

One can see too why the Slaver leaders are divided in how to deal with Daenerys. Some want to destroy her, but some of them hope to come to terms with each other. The Ghiscari have bad memories of Valyrian rule, and the thought of massive Volantene armed forces in Slavers Bay must make some of them nervous, notwithstanding they asked them for aid. Within Meereen, there are similar divisions. Clearly, many of the Great Masters want Dany dead. But others prefer to strike a deal with her. They must fear what would happen if their city was taken by storm; or how the Unsullied and freedmen would react if Dany was murdered.

I think there was also the view among would-be deal makers that once they achieve certain objectives, they will have a tolerable situation and in two to three generations Meereen is in a position stronger than ever.

cade, on 03 Jun 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

Later on we'll hear from a customs officer, Qavo Nagarys, who spreads many lies about Dany courtesy of the slavers, but as he admits, "the girl’s true sin cannot be denied. This arrogant child has taken it upon herself to smash the slave trade, but that traffic was never confined to Slaver’s Bay. It was part of the sea of trade that spanned the world, and the dragon queen has clouded the water."

No matter how honest Dany had been in dealing with slave masters, they still would've hated her, wanted her dead and spread lies to tarnish her image if she posed a threat to their ownership and trafficking of human beings. That's why, even if she'd stayed in Astapor, I think the surrounding slavers still would've gone to war against her. Can't tolerate the threat of a "bad example" when you're outnumbered 5 to 1 by slaves.

SeanF, on 04 Jun 2014 - 05:10 AM, said: Some might tolerate abolition in one city (they do after all, offer peace on those terms in ADWD). After all, it means more profit for the rest of them. The Volantenes however, are ideologically committed to destroying Danerys, because of her anti-slavery crusade (possibly, they hate the Targaryens anyway, because of Aegon I).

The Sleeper, on 04 Jun 2014 - 05:54 AM, said: I think the issue for the Volantenes is much more immediate. The customs officer Tyrion and Haldon talked to in Volon Therys and later the widow on the waterfront lays down the situation pretty clearly. They have a huge slave population who is not only compliant, but has political power, at least some level of organization and has some religious connotations as well. It is also later intimated that they cannot trust their ow army, as it is comprised of slaves and believers of R'hlor. From their perspective it would seem imperative to crush Dany in order to stop the looming uprising, which in part Dany inspired. They same can be said for the other slave owning powers that wind up aligned against her. At the very least they are going to have to pay more for slaves which would be a blow to their economy.

As I indicated above, I don't think that a short-term agreement between Dany and at least some slavers is impossible. It would have to be carefully worded and backed up by firm guarantees. It would be the sort of thing that could use hard work by good lawyers--this in a world that appears not to have lawyers of any sort. Even if a limited deal is worked out, say outlawing slavery in one city, its long-term prospects would be poor. As cade and others point out, Dany is a threat to the institution of slavery. And more than this, it isn't just a matter of one woman with a powerful army, ruling a truly free city. There are certain ideas and concepts, e.g. the idea of armies of freedmen, that would work very powerfully against slavery.

These issues are beginning to emerge. We'll see them develop further. Daenerys, of course, has no information about developments in Volantis and Velhorys, and other places. People like Qavo Nagarys have a better view of the overall situation than she does.

SeanF, on 04 Jun 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

1. Volantis is a fascinating place (and its description runs counter to those who think that Essos lacks depth). It is on the brink of revolution, partly social, and partly religious. At the same time, the rulers of Volantis see themselves as heirs to Valyria, and dream of reconquering the lands it once ruled. They're strongly ideologically committed to slavery, and thus determined to destroy Daenerys. Perhaps they also see a foreign war as being an excellent way of keeping a potentially rebellious army occupied, and maybe want to establish a permanent presence in Slavers Bay (in the same way, Sparta recruited its potentially rebellious helots to serve as soldiers abroad).

2. One can see too why the Slaver leaders are divided in how to deal with Daenerys. Some want to destroy her, but some of them hope to come to terms with each other. The Ghiscari have bad memories of Valyrian rule, and the thought of massive Volantene armed forces in Slavers Bay must make some of them nervous, notwithstanding they asked them for aid. Within Meereen, there are similar divisions. Clearly, many of the Great Masters want Dany dead. But others prefer to strike a deal with her. They must fear what would happen if their city was taken by storm; or how the Unsullied and freedmen would react if Dany was murdered.

1. I agree. Slaver's Bay seems to be the essence of evil. I've described it as "Martin's Mordor." The Yunkai'i, in particular, are incredible. Overall, however, Essos does not lack depth. Indeed, the place is much more dynamic politically and economically than Westreros. There are different approaches to government. There is a powerful merchant class. It appears that there are also guilds of some power. The western continent, on the other hand, is stuck in a feudal rut.

illrede, on 05 Jun 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

2. I think there was also the view among would-be deal makers that once they achieve certain objectives, they will have a tolerable situation and in two to three generations Meereen is in a position stronger than ever.

2. The divergence in interest among various slavers (in different cities, and even within one city) is a strong reason why prospects for a long-lasting Dany-slaver agreement are not good. A tolerable situation for Meereen, or the majority of Meereenese, would very likely prove intolerable for others.

One should also not forget other parties. Sellswords do not like the idea of an outbreak of general peace. There are a lot of sellsword companies, and the slavers have brought some of the worst of them to Slaver's Bay. The mercenaries have a good bit of power. They have ways of "helping" peace agreements to break down. Finally, there are the Dothraki. If I were a khal with a large khalsar, I might see the possibility of significant gain in the current situation. For one thing, Yunkai, a rich city, is wide open. Its army and leadership are entirely focused on the fight with Meereen. The yellow city itself is ripe for sacking. If I moved fast enough, I could have my men inside the walls before whatever group of teenagers left in charge of the place could even attempt to close the gates.

1. I agree. Slaver's Bay seems to be the essence of evil. I've described it as "Martin's Mordor." The Yunkai'i, in particular, are incredible. Overall, however, Essos does not lack depth. Indeed, the place is much more dynamic politically and economically than Westreros. There are different approaches to government. There is a powerful merchant class. It appears that there are also guilds of some power. The western continent, on the other hand, is stuck in a feudal rut.

My impression is somewhat different. King's Landing is a thoroughly squalid city, but Oldtown is beautiful. Highgarden is supposed to be enchanting. I think the level of economic development within Westeros is very variable.

In Essos, Braavos is a very dynamic society, but I think the slave-owning societies are far less so. Slavers Bay is stagnant, but even places like Volantis and Qarth seem to be well past their best. Much of Volanis is in decay, while the rulers of Qarth, the Pureborn, are completely apathetic, and the city has lost territories inland.

I expect the wealthy of the slave-owning cities of Essos do appear very rich by comparison with the upper classes of Westeros. But, I think that has more to do with wealth being more narrowly concentrated in Essos, rather than the place being wealthier overall than Westeros.

Great Essay MOIAF

After the previous chapter most people expected Dany to be on her way to Westeros but however just like she believes it is her duty to reclaim the IT for her family she also feels its her duty to free slaves, as this is what Kings are meant for.

This puts Dany in conflict as she is thinking long term for westeros and at the same time she believes in ending slavery so she doesn't know what she is doing but just going with her heart and what she feels a good King would do.

I also saw it interesting that Drogon just "singed" the tokar and didn't burn the slaver completely (like Kraznys) when Dany ordered it, which shows the amount of control she has over the direction and accuracy of drogon's dragon flame.

When I first read this chapter I fully expected him to be burnt full out.

There's some irony here in that Rhaegar was likely prophecy obsessed and Elia couldn't have more children which is part of where Lyanna fits in. I do actually think there was a real love story there apart from the prophecy. The ever melancholy Rhaegar sets Lyanna up in the Tower of Joy-- it may even have been built on or near the ruins of Summerhall out of the stones of Summerhall which would be metaphorically cool, but I digress. Dany's three dragon children are what Rhaegar was trying to achieve with all his prophetic obsessions with having three children for the three heads of the dragon.

Thats an interesting take, so do you believe the three heads of the dragon are the dragons them self?

The problem is that at this point, Dany hasn't decided why she's in Slavers Bay yet. Is it a hit and run operation, to gather plunder on the way to Westeros (freeing slaves on the way, but leaving them to defend their own freedom?) Or does she want to stay there for the long term?

I think that's part of the problem, Dany is in conflict and confused, I believe if her main aim was to end slavery and she wasn't thinking about Westeros or didn't want to go to Westeros she would have handled Astapor and onwards more better by thinking for the long term.

An example is her long term projects when she was at Vaes Tolorro, which showed Dany has the ability to think long term.

For example, she stated in this chapter that she didn't expect all the slaves to follow her after Astapor, thats an example of a thing she didn't expect to happen

She begins to think long term when she finds out about what happened in Astapor and Yunkai and starts thinking long term by staying in Meereen to rule, so its still a learning curve for her.

My impression is somewhat different. King's Landing is a thoroughly squalid city, but Oldtown is beautiful. Highgarden is supposed to be enchanting. I think the level of economic development within Westeros is very variable.

In Essos, Braavos is a very dynamic society, but I think the slave-owning societies are far less so. Slavers Bay is stagnant, but even places like Volantis and Qarth seem to be well past their best. Much of Volanis is in decay, while the rulers of Qarth, the Pureborn, are completely apathetic, and the city has lost territories inland.

I expect the wealthy of the slave-owning cities of Essos do appear very rich by comparison with the upper classes of Westeros. But, I think that has more to do with wealth being more narrowly concentrated in Essos, rather than the place being wealthier overall than Westeros.

Essos is interesting enough to spawn differences of opinion like this.

I would again point to the variety in the place. It extends east and north of Qarth a good ways. There are many different people, with many different ways of doing things. The Lhazareen are one example. Then we have Yi Ti and Asshai. (Asshai is in the east. Has it been definitively placed on the continent of Essos?) A consideration of those places brings up a matter that seems important to me: The Essossi have a more, um, realistic view of magic than do the people of the Seven Kingdoms. This, at least, is true of the leadership. I wonder. If Dany had grown up in Westeros, educated by maesters, would she have accomplished the dragon births? Even if she had the eggs, would she have come to the knowledge of what to do with them? Would she, instead, have tried prayer or the drinking of wildfire?

Great Essay MOIAF

After the previous chapter most people expected Dany to be on her way to Westeros but however just like she believes it is her duty to reclaim the IT for her family she also feels its her duty to free slaves, as this is what Kings are meant for.

This puts Dany in conflict as she is thinking long term for westeros and at the same time she believes in ending slavery so she doesn't know what she is doing but just going with her heart and what she feels a good King would do.

I think that's part of the problem, Dany is in conflict and confused, I believe if her main aim was to end slavery and she wasn't thinking about Westeros or didn't want to go to Westeros she would have handled Astapor and onwards more better by thinking for the long term.

An example is her long term projects when she was at Vaes Tolorro, which showed Dany has the ability to think long term.

For example, she stated in this chapter that she didn't expect all the slaves to follow her after Astapor, thats an example of a thing she didn't expect to happen

She begins to think long term when she finds out about what happened in Astapor and Yunkai and starts thinking long term by staying in Meereen to rule, so its still a learning curve for her.

I don't see Vaes Tolorro as an example of long term planning. Mid term perhaps.

Going with your heart has its advantages and disadvantages. It is not a solid principle on which to base the rule of a city, much less of a country. The entire issue of slavery illustrates some of the problems well enough. Dany does feel a duty to free slaves. This is not the same thing as a decision to end slavery. The queen never makes that decision. Would it be realistic for her to do so? I think not. Some readers have pointed out that she does not annunciate any detailed philosophy or even any general goals on the matter. Surely, she doesn't think that the trade will end simply because she does not allow slavery in the place where she rules. How surprised was she when she learned that the Yunkai'i had returned to slaving when she marched away? Did she expect anything else? Had she given much thought to the matter?

Essos is interesting enough to spawn differences of opinion like this.

I would again point to the variety in the place. It extends east and north of Qarth a good ways. There are many different people, with many different ways of doing things. The Lhazareen are one example. Then we have Yi Ti and Asshai. (Asshai is in the east. Has it been definitively placed on the continent of Essos?) A consideration of those places brings up a matter that seems important to me: The Essossi have a more, um, realistic view of magic than do the people of the Seven Kingdoms. This, at least, is true of the leadership. I wonder. If Dany had grown up in Westeros, educated by maesters, would she have accomplished the dragon births? Even if she had the eggs, would she have come to the knowledge of what to do with them? Would she, instead, have tried prayer or the drinking of wildfire?

I don't see Vaes Tolorro as an example of long term planning. Mid term perhaps.

Going with your heart has its advantages and disadvantages. It is not a solid principle on which to base the rule of a city, much less of a country. The entire issue of slavery illustrates some of the problems well enough. Dany does feel a duty to free slaves. This is not the same thing as a decision to end slavery. The queen never makes that decision. Would it be realistic for her to do so? I think not. Some readers have pointed out that she does not annunciate any detailed philosophy or even any general goals on the matter. Surely, she doesn't think that the trade will end simply because she does not allow slavery in the place where she rules. How surprised was she when she learned that the Yunkai'i had returned to slaving when she marched away? Did she expect anything else? Had she given much thought to the matter?

Maybe mid term, I could agree with that.

But my main reason why I used that example was just to show that there have been other cases where Dany thinks ahead in terms of planning for her people, in terms of what they would eat, how they would be defended, etc. (Cause I've seen posts that say Dany doesn't know how to plan ahead of time)

However we didn't see that kind of planning before she made the decision to free the slaves in Astapor, and I think that had to do with her not expecting the slaves to follow her after slaying the good masters and also saw it as her duty to free the slaves.

In terms of Dany expecting what would happen, she never gave any thought but as we will see in the next chapter she said did have a feeling it would happen but that was simply based on her experience with Eroeh, not on slavery.

Hello all,

Here is an excerpt from a recent GRRM interview: http://www.staceysimms.com/george-r-r-martin-qa/

Q: What can you tell us about a warg dragon rider?

A: There is no history/precedent for someone warging a dragon. There is a rich history of the mythical bond between dragon and rider. There have been instances of dragons responding to their riders even from very far away (hmm) which shows it is a true and very strong bond. We will learn more about this. Keep reading (we hear “keep writing” from the back of the room).

I think this will come into play especially in Meereen, I know a lot of people think that Drogon coming to Dany in the pit "messed things up" but I actually think it was for the best. She needed him and he came.

Hmm...very interesting. The fact that we know Westeros once had dragons of their own thousands of years ago and no skin changers ever took over a dragon strongly suggests it's not possible. For someone as powerful as Bran..who knows?

A variety of "dragon problems" have emerged. In universe, Dany and her supporters have logistical problems. For readers, there are narrative problems.

Even by the point in the story we have reached, the dragons are becoming hard to control. They start acting "wild" when the young queen is not with them. Drogon bites Irri. Daenerys thinks that "Another year, perhaps two, and he [Drogon] may be large enough to ride. Then I shall have no need of ships to cross the great salt sea." This is obviously wishful thinking. Going from Slaver's Bay to Westeros is a much bigger journey than the trip from Dragonstone. The storms on the narrow sea would be a problem for dragons. Dany can only ride one dragon. Then there is the matter of transporting her army and all her followers. She'll need ships, and a lot of them.

The concept of one rider per dragon unites the logistical and the narrative problems. I don't see that Dany has any clear idea of how to find riders for the other two animals. Can she ride Drogon while the other two stay on a ship? What happens if she becomes separated from this ship, in a storm or otherwise? Many readers have ideas about who the dragon riders will be. I haven't seen any discussion, however, about how the beasts will be "delivered" to the riders. We don't have procedures in place similar to those that are generally observed in aviation. There are no ferry pilots who can be depended on to bring the dragons to their eventual riders. Talking about bonding is all very fine. But how would even someone like Bran reach out across approximately half the world to contact a dragon he has never ridden, indeed, one of whose existence he is not even aware? I suppose there could be some kind of bonding with riders who take Viserion and Rhaegal across the sea. Then one or more of these riders could die. Martin is a good writer. Maybe he can arrange this without making it seem contrived--maybe.

Finally, we have that horn. I'm not sure about the timeline. I think, though, that Euron has at least acquired it by this point in the story. I don't know that he has arrived back in the Iron Islands yet. How will it play into the issues I've raised here?

In all, I'd say that many things are, well, up in the air.

I think this will come into play especially in Meereen, I know a lot of people think that Drogon coming to Dany in the pit "messed things up" but I actually think it was for the best. She needed him and he came.

I agree. Drogo's arrival was a catalyst and actually helped Dany to re-evaluate her situation.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/112179-why-targaryens-have-actual-dragon-blood/page-12#entry5914080

OH Shit, sorry, I posted the wrong thread:/

This is the right one, also he changed his name to

Rantonio Valencia

This thread made me so happy!

A variety of "dragon problems" have emerged. In universe, Dany and her supporters have logistical problems. For readers, there are narrative problems.

Even by the point in the story we have reached, the dragons are becoming hard to control. They start acting "wild" when the young queen is not with them. Drogon bites Irri. Daenerys thinks that "Another year, perhaps two, and he [Drogon] may be large enough to ride. Then I shall have no need of ships to cross the great salt sea." This is obviously wishful thinking. Going from Slaver's Bay to Westeros is a much bigger journey than the trip from Dragonstone. The storms on the narrow sea would be a problem for dragons. Dany can only ride one dragon. Then there is the matter of transporting her army and all her followers. She'll need ships, and a lot of them.

The concept of one rider per dragon unites the logistical and the narrative problems. I don't see that Dany has any clear idea of how to find riders for the other two animals. Can she ride Drogon while the other two stay on a ship? What happens if she becomes separated from this ship, in a storm or otherwise? Many readers have ideas about who the dragon riders will be. I haven't seen any discussion, however, about how the beasts will be "delivered" to the riders. We don't have procedures in place similar to those that are generally observed in aviation. There are no ferry pilots who can be depended on to bring the dragons to their eventual riders. Talking about bonding is all very fine. But how would even someone like Bran reach out across approximately half the world to contact a dragon he has never ridden, indeed, one of whose existence he is not even aware? I suppose there could be some kind of bonding with riders who take Viserion and Rhaegal across the sea. Then one or more of these riders could die. Martin is a good writer. Maybe he can arrange this without making it seem contrived--maybe.

Finally, we have that horn. I'm not sure about the timeline. I think, though, that Euron has at least acquired it by this point in the story. I don't know that he has arrived back in the Iron Islands yet. How will it play into the issues I've raised here?

In all, I'd say that many things are, well, up in the air.

Very much so. Added to this, Dany''s dragon eggs seem to predate the Targaryens' rule in Westeros. Her method of hatching them, and then bonding with dragons may not have much in common with theirs'.

Even by Targaryen standards, Dany is pretty unusual.

Very much so. Added to this, Dany''s dragon eggs seem to predate the Targaryens' rule in Westeros. Her method of hatching them, and then bonding with dragons may not have much in common with theirs'.

Yes I agree, she is very unique even within her own family. But I think that is a good thing for her. things were not going so well in her family over the last 100 years if Viserys is anything to go by. At this point I feel she has been better off alone figuring things out for herself. Of course, having one of those books on dragon taming and stable techniques would be extremely helpful to her. But if she can figure out exactly how to train Drogon without anyone elses help then more power to her.

Yes I agree, she is very unique even within her own family. But I think that is a good thing for her. things were not going so well in her family over the last 100 years if Viserys is anything to go by. At this point I feel she has been better off alone figuring things out for herself. Of course, having one of those books on dragon taming and stable techniques would be extremely helpful to her. But if she can figure out exactly how to train Drogon without anyone elses help then more power to her.

When it comes to dragon training, Dany has been pretty much learning as she goes. I don't see that anyone would have done much better. Most people probably wouldn't have done as well. When it comes to ruling, she sometimes appears to be making up the rules as she goes. That's not so good.

ASOS Daenerys V

Summary

Daenerys beholds Meereen, larger than Yunkai and Astapor combined and built with bricks of many colors. Meereen is enclosed by a great wall, with hundreds of defenders to guard it. Daenerys’s huge army consists mostly of freed slaves. They are eating up the surrounding lands, and Daenerys realizes that she must claim the city before the army starves. Aware that storming the walls will cost her a great deal, Daenerys sends Strong Belwas to dispatch the Hero of Meereen. Belwas kills Oznak zo Pahl, but the city still stands strong. Brown Ben Plumm reveals a way into the city through the sewers, and we find out that Dany’s dragons seem to like Brown Ben, and perch on his shoulder when he visits.

Daenerys, however, finds herself drawn to Daario Naharis, and keeps thinking of his blue eyes. Later, she goes off with Arstan and Missandei to visit the camps, and there she is attacked by Mero of Braavos. Arstan kills the Titan’s Bastard with his staff alone, and when Dany reaches her pavilion, Jorah is shocked to learn that a squire with a staff could defeat Mero with such ease. Arstan reveals that he is actually a knight, and Jorah finally recognizes him as Barristan the Bold. Barristan apologizes for deceiving her, and swears his sword in her service. Jorah warns her not to accept the man, for he went over to Robert after the Trident. But Barristan reveals that Jorah has spied on her on behalf of Varys and the Small Council in hopes of gaining a royal pardon. Jorah pleads that he did so only at first, but he has been loyal to her since the birth of the dragons. Daenerys, disgusted, dismisses them both. She doesn't want them in her service any more. When she wonders where to send them, she suddenly has an idea.

Observations

1. Dany has a sort of wounded pride. She feels disturbed at the fact that the Meereenese do not consider her a big enough threat.

2. Dany notices that her dragons seem to like Brown Ben Plumm, who attributes this to his supposed dragon blood.

3. Daenerys has some knowledge of Westerosi history, that is, she knows that five Aegons have ruled Westeros. Thus, contrary to popular opinion she is not completely ignorant of Westerosi history.

4. Another instance of the strong bond between Daenerys and her dragons is shown when the dragons react to her anger about her betrayal.

5. Dany's false image about knights has been shaterred. In this way, she is very similar to Sansa Stark.

Analysis

In my opinion, Daenerys' penultimate chapter is beginning of the end of the apex of Daenerys' stroyline in ASOS. Although there are no striking moments that even compare to “Dracarys” or “Mhysa” in this chapter, it is nevertheless quite eventful. In this chapter we come to learn of the true identity of Arstan and Dany learns of Jorah's betrayal.

Westeros

In this chapter is a sheer example of Daenerys' increasing feelings of the duty to free the slaves of Slaver's Bay and an increase of passivity in regrads to Westeros. It has become increasingly clear at this point that Daenerys' most urgent goal is no longer Westeros.

Dany does want to go to Westeros, she still has the zeal to return to Westeros and take the Iron Throne. However, freeing the slaves supersedes that goal. It is important to note that she is not forgetting about Westeros, rather she is trying to follow her moral convictions.

Dany's anger about the Meereenese may seem as if they are born out of a sense of wounded pride, but this is evidently not true.

The Children

Dany had left a trail of corpses behind her when she crossed the red waste. It was a sight she never meant to see again. "No," she said. "I will not march my people off to die." My children. "There must be some way into this city."

There are two primary reasons why Daenerys so despereately wishes to conquer to Meereen:

1. To end slavery in Slaver's Bay

2. Vengeance against the Meereenese/ vengeance against slave masters, in general

Although the aforementioned reasons are inextricably linked I have chosen to separate them because these reasons will continue to permeate the rest of Daenerys' storyline in Slaver's Bay. Anyway, Meereen is the last-remaining city of slavers in Slaver's Bay and thus is the last thing that stands in the way of her ostenisbly ending slavery. With this in mind

Loss of Trust

Was there no one she could trust, no one to keep her safe? "Are all the knights of Westeros so false as you two? Get out, before my dragons roast you both. What does roast liar smell like? As foul as Brown Ben's sewers? Go!

This part of the chapter, IMO, is the saddest. Ever since the House of the Undying, Daenerys has begun to lose trust and no longer trusts those around her. One must understand how heartshattering

-Losing trust; hopefully she will not be paranoid. Contributes to her increasing loneliness.

-becoming less idealistic, somewhat like Sansa she had this false image of chivalry and of the morality of knights. In reality, knights are just killers.

Archived